Sponsored by:

thoughts on stock silver trim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 07:34 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapture1
The shifter in the picture above is the optional Aluminum "upgrade". The standard shifter has less aluminum and more leather. Yes I too have this same dilemma. I have a GT Silver 4S, full Espresso interior with most of the Exclusive leather optioned. I currently have the Aluminum trim optioned but am not sure. I was thinking of painted also but it's so hard to see what that would look like without seeing it in person. (or a decent pic)
If I was you, getting the espresso interior, I would most certainly get the alu trim. I really like GT Silver exterior and am going to get that on mine too, but like you would never ever do the interior trim that way unless I saw it in person, which would be next to impossible. I understand wanting to feel leather around your hands instead of cold aluminium all too well, but imo, that shiny trim really cheapens the whole espresso natural leather experience. With black the shiny trim to me, while not desirable, is certainly more tolerable. But again, commenting on someones else's asthetic choices is a fool's errand, YMMV. If you do decide on painted trim, keep in mind its in three parts in the config, doors, dash & console instead of two parts (door,dash,lever AND console) for different materials. Alu trim should look close to GT silver anyways. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
If I was you, getting the espresso interior, I would most certainly get the alu trim. I really like GT Silver exterior and am going to get that on mine too, but like you would never ever do the interior trim that way unless I saw it in person, which would be next to impossible. I understand wanting to feel leather around your hands instead of cold aluminium all too well, but imo, that shiny trim really cheapens the whole espresso natural leather experience. With black the shiny trim to me, while not desirable, is certainly more tolerable. But again, commenting on someones else's asthetic choices is a fool's errand, YMMV. If you do decide on painted trim, keep in mind its in three parts in the config, doors, dash & console instead of two parts (door,dash,lever AND console) for different materials. Alu trim should look close to GT silver anyways. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Thanks for the input, going to leave the Aluminum package in. I went nuts with the leather including the console trim, vents and the PCM. I think the leather there flows well but there needs to be something to make it pop, hoping the Aluminum bits do that. Right now I have every picture I could find off the site and others I found on Autotrader displayed on my desk to get a sense for how it will look. (did the same for the exterior color, it helps)

Wife thinks I'm nuts (she like the Aluminum too though)
Old 11-23-2012, 10:29 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

It is going to look great!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:22 PM
DHill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance you will post some high quality interior pics with the aluminum trim on black full leather? I am thinking of ordering the same combo along with GT Silver.Also, how is the tactile feel of the aluminium? Does it have that slightly rough to touch surface that metal-metal contact can sound annoying? Or it is more smoothed out and just visually flat like brushed should be?
Kind of funny, but the black/aluminum door panel pictures posted by SFO are pictures of my car in my driveway. I believe I posted them for someone on the 991 6Speed Forum. I would be more than happy to take and post additional pics if you want something specific.

The Tactile feel of the aluminum is very nice. It has a light texture to it (brushed), which is nice because it eliminates any and all glare. I like the fact that it doesn't fingerprint like the standard trim because of the texture.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by DHill
Kind of funny, but the black/aluminum door panel pictures posted by SFO are pictures of my car in my driveway. I believe I posted them for someone on the 991 6Speed Forum. I would be more than happy to take and post additional pics if you want something specific.

The Tactile feel of the aluminum is very nice. It has a light texture to it (brushed), which is nice because it eliminates any and all glare. I like the fact that it doesn't fingerprint like the standard trim because of the texture.
Very helpful. If you have the time and inclination, I would love to see a quality pic of the black interior where the alu trim meets the glossy vents and any other interior ones you feel like posting. BTW, what are your thoughts on how the glossy/ aluminium bits look together? Out of place , acceptable or great?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 AM
DHill
Advanced

Very helpful. If you have the time and inclination, I would love to see a quality pic of the black interior where the alu trim meets the glossy vents and any other interior ones you feel like posting. BTW, what are your thoughts on how the glossy/ aluminium bits look together? Out of place , acceptable or great?
Will try to get that tomorrow for you. I don't think the glossy bits clash at all with the Aluminum Trim. If Porsche Exclusive offered the ability to change all of the glossy trim with Aluminum, I would have, however, I do think these different textures and finish's compliment each other. I should mention I have the Sport Design Steering Wheel.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM
rpilot
Pro

Will try to get that tomorrow for you. I don't think the glossy bits clash at all with the Aluminum Trim. If Porsche Exclusive offered the ability to change all of the glossy trim with Aluminum, I would have, however, I do think these different textures and finish's compliment each other. I should mention I have the Sport Design Steering Wheel.
Thanks, much appreciated. Look forward to when you post them.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM
DHill
Advanced

Thanks, much appreciated. Look forward to when you post them.
Aluminum Trim Photos. Too bad you can't see it in person. IMO photos don't do it justice
Attached Images     
Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Brushed looks better in these pics than the default (normal) plain "silver."
It occurs to me that electroplated silver isn't expensive ... wouldn't tarnish, does look stunning.
I wonder why in this day and age, Porsche and other built-in nav can't have a capacitive gorilla glass with less smudgy tackiness.
That's a fun glimpse of a Dune Buggy. I followed one of those along Pismo Beach before it disappeared into the dunes -- the noise was unmistakably a Porsche flat six instead of the normal VW four pot screamer.
ps. I'd suggest leaving the box out of gear and using the parking brake. The gears aren't designed to be held static face to face, the oil will separate and leave metal-to-metal contact as well as needlessly compressing the syncro's and transmitting movement into the engine, which is also not designed to take bearing load or move pistons without temperature and continuous lubrication. If need be, use reverse.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 PM
DHill
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
It occurs to me that electroplated silver isn't expensive ... wouldn't tarnish, does look stunning.
I wonder why in this day and age, Porsche and other built-in nav can't have a capacitive gorilla glass with less smudgy tackiness.
That's a fun glimpse of a Dune Buggy. I followed one of those along Pismo Beach before it disappeared into the dunes -- the noise was unmistakably a Porsche flat six instead of the normal VW four pot screamer.
ps. I'd suggest leaving the box out of gear and using the parking brake. The gears aren't designed to be held static face to face, the oil will separate and leave metal-to-metal contact as well as needlessly compressing the syncro's and transmitting movement into the engine, which is also not designed to take bearing load or move pistons without temperature and continuous lubrication. If need be, use reverse.
Thanks for the heads-up on leaving the car parked in gear. I had no idea. I always leave it in reverse. I also heard it's not good to set the parking break when the discs are hot, which confuses me a bit on what to do.

Unfortunately my buggy has a four pot screamer, rather than a Porsche flat six. It is an original Meyers Manx. It's a lot of fun and a Kid Magnet. My kids are known by other kids in the neighborhood as "So Lucky," not because they have a 991 in the garage, but because they have a Dune Buggy.

Totally agree with the Nav Screen. I almost didn't post that picture because of the fingerprints.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the heads-up on leaving the car parked in gear. I had no idea. I always leave it in reverse. I also heard it's not good to set the parking break when the discs are hot, which confuses me a bit on what to do.

Unfortunately my buggy has a four pot screamer, rather than a Porsche flat six. It is an original Meyers Manx. It's a lot of fun and a Kid Magnet. My kids are known by other kids in the neighborhood as "So Lucky," not because they have a 991 in the garage, but because they have a Dune Buggy.

Totally agree with the Nav Screen. I almost didn't post that picture because of the fingerprints.
The electric parking brake is there for just that purpose. It's a bit weird, but you get used to it.

The Manx is a great looking thing. Still an unmatched status symbol around the beaches here. As you say, a crowd pleaser that draw a crowd away from anything short of a Ferrari Sprider.

As for parking brakes and hot rotors, the issue is simply that a hot rotor needs to cool uniformly or it can warp over time. The pressure of the parking brake is a pair of "shoes" inside the drum of the rear rotors ... hence the name "drum brake" ... much the same as truck brakes dating back a century ... heavy, ineffective, expensive, prone to failure and expensive to maintain.

The drum brake for parking uses two shoes which expand outwards inside the drum to press against two opposite areas on a machine surface inside the hub of the rotor where it bolts to the car's wheel axle hub -- effectively applying pressure at the same time as changing the rate of contraction and cooling simply because the contact of the brake shoes to the hub creates a larger connected thermal mass than just the metal of the hub itself. Over time, if the rotors are hot from track driving and repeatedly subjected to cooling while in contact with the parking brake shoes, there's the risk of two problems: the rotor can change shape around the drum as it cools faster where the hub is not in contact with the parking brake and not surrounded by the brake caliper and its pads; and, the friction material held on the face of the parking brake shoe can be dissolved by heat and pressure, and "transfer" to the parking brake hub on its machined surface, causing the brake action to be irregular and less reliable because it will have "sticky" points with less gap between shoe and hub in some places with wider points with more gap and less friction between shoe and hub. The same thing happens between a hot rotor and caliper brake pads -- it's vitally important to cool down brakes from track driving or after even one extreme application such as a panic brake from freeway speeds -- the instantaneous heat soak into the rotor can cause pad transfer if the driver holds the brake pedal to keep the pads forced against the rotor while the car is stopped. One lap at a brisk rolling pace with zero brake pedal application is enough to cool the rotors ... rolling too slowly so as to take longer is counterproductive because it's airflow through the rotor veins that cools the rotor, not time ... given time, the rotors will stay hot almost indefinitely, but with airflow at speed, the cooling process is efficient (efficient enough to keep the brakes operating lap after lap.)

For even the most aggressive driving on public roads, it's practically impossible to get the rotors to temperatures where precautions are necessary. The only exception would be hilly driving at freeway speeds where there's intermittent snow or deep standing water that could contact the rotor in sufficient effect to change the rotor temperature abruptly.

Porsche should have used the 991 to introduce a parking brake caliper. The weight and impractical aspects of a drum brake for parking should have been removed from the 911 with the 964 (circa 1989.)
Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 PM
rpilot
Pro

@DHill... Thank you kindly Sir, for taking the time. I agree they look very nice. And looks like the shiny alu pieces sort of complement the brushed trim. Indulge me if you would , by answering this.. I hate to admit it but the metal to metal contact sound is not a very pleasing one to me and sometimes I have found that certain brushed metal surfaces have a texture that makes a similar sound when they come into contact with something hard. In your subjective opinion, is this the case here? Or am I over-analyzing this decision? Again, it looks better than I thought it would. Understated taste.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

@DHill... Thank you kindly Sir, for taking the time. I agree they look very nice. And looks like the shiny alu pieces sort of complement the brushed trim. Indulge me if you would , by answering this.. I hate to admit it but the metal to metal contact sound is not a very pleasing one to me and sometimes I have found that certain brushed metal surfaces have a texture that makes a similar sound when they come into contact with something hard. In your subjective opinion, is this the case here? Or am I over-analyzing this decision? Again, it looks better than I thought it would. Understated taste.
None of these trim pieces sound like metal -- they're all painted plastic. If only there was that satisfying "thunk" of metal to liven things up.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
rpilot
Pro

Porsche did not get to be the most profitable/unit sold car manufacturer by silver electroplating interior trim without charging $$$$ for it

The silver does not cost much even @$35/oz since so little is used, but good silver electroplating processes are comparatively expensive.

None of these trim pieces sound like metal -- they're all painted plastic. If only there was that satisfying "thunk" of metal to liven things up.
I do believe the trim pieces you do pay $1300 for as pictured are real aluminum. Even though the base trim may not be. And I also believe that some pieces, like door handles and such are aluminum. I am not sure about the Burmester stereo trim, A/C vents. etc.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Based on these photos, I have now added the brushed aluminum to my order

Quick Reply: thoughts on stock silver trim?