Sponsored by:

thoughts on stock silver trim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 PM
DHill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
@DHill... Thank you kindly Sir, for taking the time. I agree they look very nice. And looks like the shiny alu pieces sort of complement the brushed trim. Indulge me if you would , by answering this.. I hate to admit it but the metal to metal contact sound is not a very pleasing one to me and sometimes I have found that certain brushed metal surfaces have a texture that makes a similar sound when they come into contact with something hard. In your subjective opinion, is this the case here? Or am I over-analyzing this decision? Again, it looks better than I thought it would. Understated taste.
The Aluminum Trim is actual Aluminum, which is the main reason I feel it takes on a higher quality look and feel. If metal were to come in contact with it (such as a watch),especially being textured, it would probably make discomforting sound. . . . discomforting because of the thought of damaging my trim and/or watch. I am very particular about maintaining a like new appearance to my vehicles, inside and out, so I always tend to be aware of what could potentially cause damage, however, I don't feel I would ever accidentally cause damage or touch the trim with anything metal based on placement. Hope I'm not misunderstanding your question.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 PM
DHill
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
For even the most aggressive driving on public roads, it's practically impossible to get the rotors to temperatures where precautions are necessary. The only exception would be hilly driving at freeway speeds where there's intermittent snow or deep standing water that could contact the rotor in sufficient effect to change the rotor temperature abruptly.
Carerra GT - Thanks for the education. Much appreciated.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 PM
meine911
Racer

What are the inside door handles made of. They look different than the aluminum. Are they the standard trim material?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 PM
DHill
Advanced

Originally Posted by meine911
What are the inside door handles made of. They look different than the aluminum. Are they the standard trim material?
Yes, standard trim. Same as the Sport Design Steering Steering Wheel.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM
meine911
Racer

Thanks. Just ordered a 991S with black interior and hope the standard trim works. I guess it will be all the same, good or bad. It seems okay in my current 997. Nothing fancy. Just practical.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 PM
DHill
Advanced

Originally Posted by meine911
Thanks. Just ordered a 991S with black interior and hope the standard trim works. I guess it will be all the same, good or bad. It seems okay in my current 997. Nothing fancy. Just practical.
CONGRATS!! Standard Trim looks Nice too. You will be very happy.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:57 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DHill
The Aluminum Trim is actual Aluminum, which is the main reason I feel it takes on a higher quality look and feel. If metal were to come in contact with it (such as a watch),especially being textured, it would probably make discomforting sound. . . . discomforting because of the thought of damaging my trim and/or watch. I am very particular about maintaining a like new appearance to my vehicles, inside and out, so I always tend to be aware of what could potentially cause damage, however, I don't feel I would ever accidentally cause damage or touch the trim with anything metal based on placement. Hope I'm not misunderstanding your question.
I share the sentiment in done damaging either the trim or my watch , what I was referring to however was a similar watch / trim incident to cause that nasty metal scraping metal sound. Even if I did not care about the trim or my watch (which I do), it would cause me to squirm and I hate that sound. I don't know how else to describe it.

Usually I can feel a texture and know the answer to my question very readily.. in this case no dealer locally has a car with that trim in stock and I dont expect them to anytime soon. I really really like the look of it though. Thanks again for the pics and hope you can take a minute to elaborate. Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 PM
DHill
Advanced

I share the sentiment in done damaging either the trim or my watch , what I was referring to however was a similar watch / trim incident to cause that nasty metal scraping metal sound. Even if I did not care about the trim or my watch (which I do), it would cause me to squirm and I hate that sound. I don't know how else to describe it.

Usually I can feel a texture and know the answer to my question very readily.. in this case no dealer locally has a car with that trim in stock and I dont expect them to anytime soon. I really really like the look of it though. Thanks again for the pics and hope you can take a minute to elaborate. Thanks again.
Sorry, I'm not willing to test, but I believe if metal contacted the trim, it would make the sound that makes you squirm.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, I'm not willing to test, but I believe if metal contacted the trim, it would make the sound that makes you squirm.
Thanks for the dead honest answer, I was asking for an opinion.. I never expected you to test . You have been very helpful and that car of yours is absolutely stunning. I think despite what you have told me, I am probably going to order the alu trim. It just looks that good !!!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
Based on these photos, I have now added the brushed aluminum to my order
Sounds like a good call. I wouldn't allocate the dollars, but certainly more appealing than the default painted plastic.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 AM
DHill
Advanced

Thanks for the dead honest answer, I was asking for an opinion.. I never expected you to test . You have been very helpful and that car of yours is absolutely stunning. I think despite what you have told me, I am probably going to order the alu trim. It just looks that good !!!
I never thought you expected me to test. Sorry if it came off that way. I was just saying I can't know for sure, but think it would make the sound you don't like.

No matter what, I know you will Love Your choice to go with the Aluminum. It looks AMAZING in person.

Thanks for the compliments on my car
Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

Kind of funny, but the black/aluminum door panel pictures posted by SFO are pictures of my car in my driveway. I believe I posted them for someone on the 991 6Speed Forum. I would be more than happy to take and post additional pics if you want something specific.

The Tactile feel of the aluminum is very nice. It has a light texture to it (brushed), which is nice because it eliminates any and all glare. I like the fact that it doesn't fingerprint like the standard trim because of the texture.
Yes you posted for me...

I just played safe for myself and didn't put it on options list as I couldn't compare SD steering wheel shiny trim with aluminum trim in person...I do think though that its looks fantastic !
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Fester, what color is the one in your avatar? GT Silver or Platinum Silver?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Fester, what color is the one in your avatar? GT Silver or Platinum Silver?
GT Silver...that's what I've ordered with espresso ...

Quick Reply: thoughts on stock silver trim?