Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts and Accessories You Would Like to See Made?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Parts and Accessories You Would Like to See Made?

What are some OEM or aftermarket parts that you would like to see for the 991? Here are a few that I would love to get, but don't think exist:

- Pop-out rear quarter window kit.

- Something to clip on side mirrors or into front triangle of open window to eliminate buffeting at track.

- Drop-in carpet set for rear seats/center console delete.

- "SPASM-style" front splitter/lip that goes wheel well to wheel well.

- Ducktail that sits up closer to the window (see 997 Sport Classic ducktail).

- Leather boot for PDK shifter base.

- A clear engine bay cover / fan shroud -- it would be fun to see something when hatch is open.

Last edited by fbroen; 08-31-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:46 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

A black trim strip/skirt for the lower side panel that looks like the one on the GT3 and C4S.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
What are some OEM or aftermarket parts that you would like to see for the 991? Here are a few that I would love to get, but don't think exist:

- Something to clip on side mirrors or into front triangle of open window to eliminate buffeting at track.

- A clear engine bay cover / fan shroud -- it would be fun to see something when hatch is open.
Interesting ideas. Hard to come up with anything new since all the stuff that never got done for the 997.

Short list:
  1. For the 991, I'd like a PDCC disable.
  2. A PASM "fixed" setting (non-adaptive.)
  3. A PSM "off" that doesn't come back on ... : )
  4. Washer nipple delete

Longer Wish List:
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]
  5. [*]
  6. [*]
  7. [*]
  8. [*]
  9. [*]
  10. [*]
  11. [*]
  12. [*]
  13. [*]
  14. [*]
  15. [*]
  16. [*]

I'm afraid now the wide body is imminent, the after-market vendors have once again sat idle for this early wave of upgrade interest (here and on other forums, you can see how it takes considerable effort to even find a set of wheels, let alone go through the car with a serious lightness and agility campaign.)

I realize Porsche is fortifying the barriers with each new model, but hell, the cabin of the 991 is screaming out for someone to go through it and pull out literally 100's of pounds of parts-bin junk and replace it with lightweight door liners, thin pull-out carpet, rear seat delete, console delete, etc.

If ever the OEMs get their *** into gear, it will be great to have a decent menu of upgrades for a 911 fresh off the showroom.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Replace one of the ugly blanks on the center console with a switch to control sound symposia.

2. Have lower portion of driver's side mirror be convex (like newer Ford trucks) to eliminate the blind spot that can hide a motorcycle. Yes I know how to properly adjust rear view mirrors and there is still a blind spot.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by solomonschris
1. Replace one of the ugly blanks on the center console with a switch to control sound symposia.

2. Have lower portion of driver's side mirror be convex (like newer Ford trucks) to eliminate the blind spot that can hide a motorcycle. Yes I know how to properly adjust rear view mirrors and there is still a blind spot.
Two great requirements! I've tried a couple of tape-on blind-spot mirrors, but they're all a bit too cheesy. I think there's a real opportunity for someone to make a thin, real glass mirror overlay that just double-side 3M sticks onto the existing mirror (it's a huge cavity in there.)

A manual switch override for Symposer would be great. I like the Sport setting, but I want the noise outside, echoing through the canyons, not pummeling my children's ears in the back seat. : )
Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

I use the stick-on ones from Trac Auto. They are cheesy looking, but they have kept me out of trouble.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I use the stick-on ones from Trac Auto. They are cheesy looking, but they have kept me out of trouble.
Here's the state of the art in wide angle optically "correct" mirror surfaces -- it's actually a diamond-like faceting cut into the glass surface using a five-axis control.

ref:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...lind_spot.html
Old 08-31-2012, 04:41 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

I would put one of those on every vehicle I own. Thanks for the post......Chris
Old 09-01-2012, 06:02 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen

How about a perforated leather steering wheel as an option? I had one on my 07 RS-4 and I loved the combination of comfort and grip. My 09 C4S has the "thicker leather" steering wheel and it just isn't as nice.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Rfong
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those with keyless entry, an ON/OFF start button like on my $18K Hyundai Veloster to replace the cheap plastic key. Shouldn't be that hard to retro wire one.

Quick Reply: Parts and Accessories You Would Like to See Made?