Sponsored by:

Auto start/stop playing up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto start/stop playing up?

I'm not sure if this is usual but my Auto start/stop works fine until I hit the motorway/freeway but then, once the car has done some fast miles, it shows as deactivated every time I come to a halt in traffic . Anyone else experiencing this?

Please no comments from those who can't see the point in the feature. It saves fuel and and cuts down on noise and that can't be a bad thing. I like it. But I'm not sure it's working properly. Will take mine to dealer if no one else having the same experience.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

This may not be very helpful, but mine shows deactivated sometimes if AC demand high, or engine is cold and just started to heat up. Would yours temorarily overrule to cool down?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by fbroen
This may not be very helpful, but mine shows deactivated sometimes if AC demand high, or engine is cold and just started to heat up. Would yours temorarily overrule to cool down?
It says as much in the drivers' manual, so I guess I'll try switching AC off and see if the same behaviour persists. But I'm in the UK where it never gets very hot, though the AC has to work hard to dry the air!!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

after a hard drive, the car/engine/battery needs time to get back to 'normal', hence auto start/stop disengages.

I would say it's nothing unusual .. it's happened to me on my 981S
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
I'm not sure if this is usual but my Auto start/stop works fine until I hit the motorway/freeway but then, once the car has done some fast miles, it shows as deactivated every time I come to a halt in traffic . Anyone else experiencing this?

Please no comments from those who can't see the point in the feature. It saves fuel and and cuts down on noise and that can't be a bad thing. I like it. But I'm not sure it's working properly. Will take mine to dealer if no one else having the same experience.

Thanks guys.
This is normal. There are too may factors in play for one to to second guess if it should engage or not. If it works at least some times it means that feature is working. If it was not working you would get an error mesg of some sort. There are just to many variables that impact whether it should engage or not. It's like it has a mind of its own but in reality it is following instructions in its programming.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:47 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I have this feature in my new BMW 535. Most of the time, it does not bother me and I always have the option to turn it off. Last night I was in NYC traffic and auto start must have activated 20+ times with the 30 minutes of heavy traffic. I think there will be a new starter in the future.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Romantic911
Advanced

Battery charge status play the big role
Old 08-26-2012, 05:32 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by Romantic911
Battery charge status play the big role
Of course. But the battery will be at its lowest state of charge in the early minutes of use and then at it's highest after the rapid highway miles. My stop/start reflects the opposite.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Of course. But the battery will be at its lowest state of charge in the early minutes of use and then at it's highest after the rapid highway miles. My stop/start reflects the opposite.
look at the Voltage on the battery .. it mostly gets charged on deceleration.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 AM
peewee72
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have experienced thus far (took delivery 2 days ago), the stop/start will not function if the air-conditioning is on. Apart from that, 95% of the time it will come on but i have also noticed that sometimes when you are stuck in traffic the function will discontinue if it means you are coming to a halt repeatedly.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:32 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

it's smarter that we are.. mine would do that at weird times but after a while it always did the same so it must know what it's doing.

Quick Reply: Auto start/stop playing up?