Notices
991
Sponsored by:

Auto start/stop playing up?

 
Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM
  #1  
Betternotbigger
User
Thread Starter
 
Betternotbigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 313
Default Auto start/stop playing up?

I'm not sure if this is usual but my Auto start/stop works fine until I hit the motorway/freeway but then, once the car has done some fast miles, it shows as deactivated every time I come to a halt in traffic . Anyone else experiencing this?

Please no comments from those who can't see the point in the feature. It saves fuel and and cuts down on noise and that can't be a bad thing. I like it. But I'm not sure it's working properly. Will take mine to dealer if no one else having the same experience.

Thanks guys.
Betternotbigger is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 AM
  #2  
fbroen
User
 
fbroen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 1,038
Default

This may not be very helpful, but mine shows deactivated sometimes if AC demand high, or engine is cold and just started to heat up. Would yours temorarily overrule to cool down?
fbroen is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
  #3  
Betternotbigger
User
Thread Starter
 
Betternotbigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 313
Default

Originally Posted by fbroen View Post
This may not be very helpful, but mine shows deactivated sometimes if AC demand high, or engine is cold and just started to heat up. Would yours temorarily overrule to cool down?
It says as much in the drivers' manual, so I guess I'll try switching AC off and see if the same behaviour persists. But I'm in the UK where it never gets very hot, though the AC has to work hard to dry the air!!
Betternotbigger is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
  #4  
sfo
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,082
Default

after a hard drive, the car/engine/battery needs time to get back to 'normal', hence auto start/stop disengages.

I would say it's nothing unusual .. it's happened to me on my 981S
sfo is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM
  #5  
aamersa
User
 
aamersa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 780
Default

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger View Post
I'm not sure if this is usual but my Auto start/stop works fine until I hit the motorway/freeway but then, once the car has done some fast miles, it shows as deactivated every time I come to a halt in traffic . Anyone else experiencing this?

Please no comments from those who can't see the point in the feature. It saves fuel and and cuts down on noise and that can't be a bad thing. I like it. But I'm not sure it's working properly. Will take mine to dealer if no one else having the same experience.

Thanks guys.
This is normal. There are too may factors in play for one to to second guess if it should engage or not. If it works at least some times it means that feature is working. If it was not working you would get an error mesg of some sort. There are just to many variables that impact whether it should engage or not. It's like it has a mind of its own but in reality it is following instructions in its programming.
aamersa is offline  
Old 08-25-2012, 09:47 AM
  #6  
mjsporsche
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mjsporsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 2,291
Default

I have this feature in my new BMW 535. Most of the time, it does not bother me and I always have the option to turn it off. Last night I was in NYC traffic and auto start must have activated 20+ times with the 30 minutes of heavy traffic. I think there will be a new starter in the future.
mjsporsche is offline  
Old 08-25-2012, 06:28 PM
  #7  
Romantic911
User
 
Romantic911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 78
Default

Battery charge status play the big role
Romantic911 is offline  
Old 08-26-2012, 05:32 AM
  #8  
Betternotbigger
User
Thread Starter
 
Betternotbigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 313
Default

Originally Posted by Romantic911 View Post
Battery charge status play the big role
Of course. But the battery will be at its lowest state of charge in the early minutes of use and then at it's highest after the rapid highway miles. My stop/start reflects the opposite.
Betternotbigger is offline  
Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 AM
  #9  
sfo
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,082
Default

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger View Post
Of course. But the battery will be at its lowest state of charge in the early minutes of use and then at it's highest after the rapid highway miles. My stop/start reflects the opposite.
look at the Voltage on the battery .. it mostly gets charged on deceleration.
sfo is offline  
Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 AM
  #10  
peewee72
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 44
Default

From what I have experienced thus far (took delivery 2 days ago), the stop/start will not function if the air-conditioning is on. Apart from that, 95% of the time it will come on but i have also noticed that sometimes when you are stuck in traffic the function will discontinue if it means you are coming to a halt repeatedly.
peewee72 is offline  
Old 08-26-2012, 10:32 PM
  #11  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,718
Default

it's smarter that we are.. mine would do that at weird times but after a while it always did the same so it must know what it's doing.
rijowysock is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto start/stop playing up?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: