Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:03 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Because the dealer had the allocation (use it or lose it) and decided these specs might appeal to a prospective Turbo/S client. Most Porsches in the US (and I presume Canada too, Henry) are dealer (not customer) specced. So they are trying to appeal to the impulse buyer with a large disposable income plus a bit of 'flair', which they presume fits the profile of their prospective customers. So the dealers rolled the dice...and I wish them success! In the meantime, we at this thread continue to emphasize the joy of custom ordering your 'dream Porsche' to lessen the need for dealers to go out on these limbs & put sales at risk!
I think that's exactly correct. My dealer has a $225k 911 Turbo S and a $122k Macan Turbo on their showroom floor - both "Designed by Porsche Exclusive". They're beautifully done, and as Eduardo says, they'll appeal to the high net worth impulse guys who would never spend the time learning enough to spec their own custom cars. Hell, even I was tempted.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Potsnu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent the whole weekend re-reading all 47 pages for this thread.

I have only 1 week left before my 981 order locks in. Since this is my first Porsche I wasn't planning on doing crazy amount of custom interior.

All I had was one simple request, to get my car to a two-tone Black/Garnet Red similar to the Macan and the 911's.

I know a forum member was able to achieve this pictured below:

However, my Sales Rep who has experience doing custom orders (He did a 50th anniversary custom for the dealership) says that the only deviating options right now is: Carpet, Center Console Lid, and Steering Wheel.

For something "simple" like doing a two-tone Black/Red, does he still need to reach out to Porsche Exclusive to facilitate this? Those were the only options he saw in the PCNA Dealer Configurator. There were no options for lower dash, or door inserts to do deviating.

I would assume I would need a Black Interior base and deviate the rest to be Garnet Red to achieve this look.

Any input would be appreciated for a MY2015 981.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Potsnu

I have only 1 week left before my 981 order locks in. Since this is my first Porsche I wasn't planning on doing crazy amount of custom interior.

All I had was one simple request, to get my car to a two-tone Black/Garnet Red similar to the Macan and the 911's.

However, my Sales Rep who has experience doing custom orders (He did a 50th anniversary custom for the dealership) says that the only deviating options right now is: Carpet, Center Console Lid, and Steering Wheel.

For something "simple" like doing a two-tone Black/Red, does he still need to reach out to Porsche Exclusive to facilitate this? Those were the only options he saw in the PCNA Dealer Configurator. There were no options for lower dash, or door inserts to do deviating.

I would assume I would need a Black Interior base and deviate the rest to be Garnet Red to achieve this look.
Yes, that would be the correct assumption! There is currently not a dual tone offering on 'Black/Garnet' on the 981 configurator! What looks like it in the captured image below turns out to be 'Agate/Amber Orange' on closer inspection! So your attached photo is showing a 'Black' interior with deviating color door panels & seats, plus the under-dash too! I didn't even know that the 981's under-dash was possible to order in a deviating color leather! And it looks terrific & compliments the dual tone 'look' perfectly well on the smaller 981 cabin!

As you read in Hinckley's recent posts, there are at present restrictions on ordering certain options via 'Porsche Exclusive', but I thought many were limited to the new '15 GTS models. If you are based in the US, I suggest you & your dealer BOTH contact 'Porsche Exclusive' in Atlanta ASAP and ask. And perhaps you should also post your question on the 981 forum so that other Boxster owners can read about your inquiry and comment!

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum-125/

Good luck with your custom order. The attached photo shows one of the most impressive 981 interiors I have ever seen! If you are able to duplicate that interior, it will be simply stunning!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Potsnu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Eduardo,

My sales rep was able to contact Melissa from Porsche Exclusive, as there is no official representative in Canada.

He basically told me that deviated lower dash, door panels, etc. are no longer available as an option. Only deviated carpet, center console lid, and seat inserts are available. He said those options were available only in MY2013 and MY2014.

Also PTS is no longer available for exterior colour, only for interior leather now. So I'm pretty sad about it. I'll just stick to Carrera Red interior with deviated black carpet. I had thought about adding Alcantra or Carbon Fiber to tone it down, but might as well be bold with the red.

He basically told me it's not that Porsche Exclusive can't do it, they're just doing really well in sales and can't afford to do so many Exclusives to slow down the production....he said when he was doing this back in the day, he was one of very few people. Now he said there's about 50 people trained to do Exclusives around the world and Porsche will eventually cap it at 100 people who have access to make these modifications.

It's very unfortunate and I understand why you have moved on to other brands. Porsche Exclusive is more like Porsche "Elusive" in many ways. Not enough information for the average person without doing enough research.

Considering this is my 1st Porsche purchase, I'll keep it simple for now. I wish two-tone will be offered, my gut feel is that when they facelift the 981 they will offer it....sigh
Old 02-05-2015, 06:47 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Eduardo, are you aware of an updated PTS list?

I'm emailing Melissa today for something else, will ask her for a PDF if there is a newer one.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Hi Eduardo, are you aware of an updated PTS list?

I'm emailing Melissa today for something else, will ask her for a PDF if there is a newer one.
No, the last one I received from Melissa & Matthew was dated 9-09-2014. Right after that Porsche stopped taking new orders for PTS on the remaining of MY2015 models...so I don't expect many additions! But hopefully some newly requested colors (like Lindgrün ) might have been approved!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images
Old 02-05-2015, 07:24 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

No, the last one I received from Melissa & Matthew was dated 9-09-2014. Right after that Porsche stopped taking new orders for PTS on the remaining of MY2015 models...so I don't expect many additions! But hopefully some newly requested colors (like Lindgrün ) might have been approved!
Yeah. I was hoping for an update on Chartreuse / Lime Green. Will let you know if I get anything new from Melissa.

Thanks, as always, Eduardo!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:50 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Potsnu

Any input would be appreciated for a MY2015 981.
Yes, that would be the correct assumption! There is currently not a dual tone offering on 'Black/Garnet' on the 981 configurator! What looks like it in the captured image below turns out to be 'Agate/Amber Orange' on closer inspection! So your attached photo is showing a 'Black' interior with deviating color door panels & seats, plus the under-dash too! I didn't even know that the 981's under-dash was possible to order in a deviating color leather! And it looks terrific & compliments the dual tone 'look' perfectly well on the smaller 981 cabin!

As you read in Hinckley's recent posts, there are at present restrictions on ordering certain options via 'Porsche Exclusive', but I thought many were limited to the new '15 GTS models. If you are based in the US, I suggest you & your dealer BOTH contact 'Porsche Exclusive' in Atlanta ASAP and ask. And perhaps you should also post your question on the 981 forum so that other Boxster owners can read about your inquiry and comment!

Good luck with your custom order. The attached photo shows one of the most impressive 981 interiors I have ever seen! If you are able to duplicate that interior, it will be simply stunning!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

I'm sure you guys know this, but that exact combo is standard, check the box fare on the Turbo S; I sat in one for a lot of minutes last weekend before ordering similar for my GTS. With 991TTS, you can choose Black/Garnet interior, and get that with either red or black carpets, simply check the correct box.

I wanted to do same with my GTS, but as noted, no deviations allowed at present. It comes only with red carpets and black floor mats if you order black/garnet interior.

Even the Turbo (non-S) only has red carpets available with the Black/Garnet combination.

It's frustrating to not be able to combine such "normal" elements -- five out of every four 991s comes with black carpet. I'm in ATL and my dealer is a Premium or Premier dealer or whatever, and the GM knows everybody at PCNA; he was puzzled by this anomaly and called them Monday to try to figure out a back channel to get black carpets, and got nowhere.

vs:

In the grand scheme of things they really look more alike than different.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 AM
shake-em-on-down
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Which shade of orange is this in the GT3 RS launch pics - Gulf or Blud?

http://www.autogespot.com/geneve-201...che-991-gt3-rs
Old 03-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: What 'Orange' is being used for the 991 gt3 RS?

Originally Posted by shake-em-on-down
Which shade of orange is this in the GT3 RS launch pics - Gulf or Blud?
Until the present time, there were only two shades of solid, non-metallic 'Orange' approved for PTS at Porsche re: 991/981. They are 'Pastel Orange', color code Z17....

and 'Gulf Orange', color code 019...

The latter is a historic/vintage early 911 color which was recently approved for PTS on the 991/981 and was last used as a PTS on the 997.

The orange 'special color' developed for the MY2007/2008 .1 997 gt3 RS was phased out as a PTS after MY2010 due to technical issues with the color. That color was called 'RS Orange' and had color code 8C6...

Another historic/vintage color from the early 1970's - 'Continental Orange' /color code 107 - was requested recently via PTS and denied. Quite unfortunate since it's a very striking shade of orange!

'Blutorange or Tangerine' is another historic/vintage Porsche color from the early 911/914 period. It's color code 018...

But unfortunately it was not approved for PTS on the 991/981 after a formal request from someone I helped obtain the color sample above!

At the time it was rejected, there surfaced speculation that a new 'orange' color similar to the old 'Blutorange/Tangerine' was in the works for the upcoming 991 gt3 RS and that was the reason the above request was denied.

That rumor was confirmed yesterday when the new 991 gt3 RS was introduced at the Geneva Auto Show. One of the two special colors offered as exclusive (for the present time) on that model is 'Lava Orange'. It's a dark orange hue with some similarities to the vintage/historic 'Blutorange/Tangerine' color that is talked about above. However 'Lava Orange' is probably a new color formulation specifically developed for this model & will likely carry a unique color code rather than '019'. We don't yet know it's specific Porsche color code...although a VW Group website has identified it as 'H2'. The other special color developed exclusively for the 991 gt3 RS is the 'Ultraviolet' seen also below:

'Lava Orange' looks the business on the 991 gt3 RS, especially when exposed to the sun!

I anticipate it will be able to be ordered on any 991/981 as an approved PTS color after one year or two, once it's exclusivity for the gt3 RS model is allowed to lapse.

I hope this short explanation of recent 'orange' paints used at Porsche has answered your question.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 03-04-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:21 PM
shake-em-on-down
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Eduardo. I am still planning a Targa 4S (991.2, so at the end of the year) in orange. That Continental orange is gorgeous, I guess Pastel would be the nearest available match.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:25 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

That's super helpful, as always, Eduardo!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Eduardo, .1RS Orange good. Guards red bad.
The Lava Orange looks exactly like both depending on the picture, I have no idea what it looks like. You? So good or bad for me in your opinion?

UltraViolet; Is it metallic? Barney, Aubergine, I have no idea...
Old 03-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Eduardo, .1RS Orange good. Guards red bad.
The Lava Orange looks exactly like both depending on the picture, I have no idea what it looks like. You? So good or bad for me in your opinion?
Depends on your likes. It's a variation of 'BlutOrange/Tangerine'. Do you remember this color from your Porsche youth? I do...and I liked it.

But here is something else to help you.

From Left to Right
Blutorange aka blood orange aka tangerine 018
Signal Orange 116
997 GT3RS Orange 8C6 (in the flesh on a whole car it looked lighter)
Gulf Orange 019

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
UltraViolet; Is it metallic? Barney, Aubergine, I have no idea...
I am hoping it's not a metallic. In the .1 997 gt3 RS 'special colors', both 'RS Green' and 'RS Orange' were solids. I hope history repeats itself here and 'UltraViolet' is also a solid like 'Lava Orange'.

I must admit to you that I find it odd that here we are a few days after the official debut at Geneva and Porsche has chosen NOT to show us yet a photo or video of the alternative 'Special Color' for this 991 gt3 RS! I think that is rather unprecedented...and very peculiar. And I don't have a clue as to why the mystery.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 03-04-2015, 11:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks!
I need to go find a car sitting in the sun.
Orange is a safe bet, I'm probably one of the few that does not like the GR or red tint..
Mystery Purple, who knows..

Both colors look very dark On ky IPhone but office PC pretty bright yet we know the configurator is useless. Colors look nothing like it.

Maybe they want to sell 50% PTS there must be money in those 10k paint jobs...

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!