Sponsored by:

991 "Flaws"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
as far as rates, i remember you post and was just going off my head and they were in the right "region" for comparison

i bottomed out BEFORE the mods, have not since with the stiffer setup.

i'm not "rally car driving" i am/was exiting driveways and parking lots... at a "Crawl" speed... i do not drive the car without care, have driven many lower vehicles but the overhang is whats problematic on the vehicle w/ the stock springs being so "slack" (in NC when i first had the problem is was the end of a driveway and the car would "bounce" and bottom out because of the limp springs.. it was nowhere near the ground prior to the "bounce" and this was backing out at no more than a crawl)

you assume i have not thought of sway bars and shocks, wait a second THEY DONT EXIST YET FOR THE 991, the same with the exhaust mods I plan on.... I am working with several tuners to produce the parts unavailable yet for the 991. (you're welcome)

again, your assumptions have gotten the best of you.... you should check out my old posts with mods to my 997.1/997.2/ExigeS220 before assuming I just added springs "for the fun of it"... Since before the 991 even arrived I have been trying to arrange suspension mods and other mods, but these companies are very slow to produce items....

for now i just have to make-do with what's available, I will only have the 991 for another 3 months or so till i figure what else to buy....
WOOOOH-NELLIE! Let's take a step back here.

First, that's great you are no longer bottoming out since your spring change, but you made it sound that you were bottoming out everywhere. Now that you have narrowed that to "crawl" speed out of driveways, you now present a clearer picture of your issue. However, I just can't see "crawl" speed and bottoming out in the same sentence. Hitting the front lip, OK, but not bottoming out . . . unless you happen to drive into some big hole or off a curb, lots of hazards out there.

Secondly, I have not "again, your assumptions have gotten the best of you". When I first brought up the issue of the problems of just swapping springs and not sway/shocks with that, you dismissed that as not that big of a deal.
https://rennlist.com/forums/9690690-post29.html

Now you are saying you are "working with several tuners to produce the parts unavailable yet for the 991". You could just have easily said so in the first place to clarify your reply.

Have a good day.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:05 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL and I thought I was picky!

With that said, I have had a problem with buffeting at 100+ on the track and dented a header going over a large rock. The other stuff has not been a problem. I'm just too busy smiling when I drive it to notice that stuff I guess.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:15 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've modded many a porsche, the new 991 would not be one of them. The electronics, system integrations are far too complicated.
The 991s is faster than a gt3 on the 'ring, I'm not sure how much 'better' a tuner could succh a car.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evio
I have a polar silver 991 mt with blue guts and I have zero complaints. Love driving it.
please can you post pics .. love polar silver
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Mikie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought three cars. I have Chrono Sport so without any buttons it is a Lincoln Continental, all cushey and comfy, like it should have a landau roof. I press "sport" and I am quick, sort of like a good AMG from MB. I push sport plus and OMG! I am still breaking it in so only a couple of times have I even dared 6000RPM but it spits and snorts just as bad as my old GT3. Divide the price by 3 and I figure its a bargain.

Mikie
Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikie
I bought three cars. I have Chrono Sport so without any buttons it is a Lincoln Continental, all cushey and comfy, like it should have a landau roof. I press "sport" and I am quick, sort of like a good AMG from MB. I push sport plus and OMG! I am still breaking it in so only a couple of times have I even dared 6000RPM but it spits and snorts just as bad as my old GT3. Divide the price by 3 and I figure its a bargain.

Mikie
Ditto!

I call it Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde . . . aaauuuuuuuuuu!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I love the color of the 3-in-one description. My better half wants an AMG SL, I might be able to hold her off with this description, lol.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:58 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[J: whilst the "pleather" dash has improved in quality and appearance other areas of the vehicle are very "cheap" and plastic toy like... as soon as you start removing panels you see that everything is cheap plastic and you no longer wonder why the interior has so any creak's and rattles...[/QUOTE]

Just curious.. what are you defining as "pleather"? When I sat in one for a bit I simply noticed high quality "hard soft touch" textured plastic on the dash, the doors and underneath.. That may or may not be to your liking but I think is similar to the plastic just about every high end car maker is using these days. I will agree however, they could have put some leather on the door panels, etc without the full leather interior to make it look upscale like other manufacturers of better cars do....
Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
[J: whilst the "pleather" dash has improved in quality and appearance other areas of the vehicle are very "cheap" and plastic toy like... as soon as you start removing panels you see that everything is cheap plastic and you no longer wonder why the interior has so any creak's and rattles...
Just curious.. what are you defining as "pleather"? When I sat in one for a bit I simply noticed high quality "hard soft touch" textured plastic on the dash, the doors and underneath.. That may or may not be to your liking but I think is similar to the plastic just about every high end car maker is using these days. I will agree however, they could have put some leather on the door panels, etc without the full leather interior to make it look upscale like other manufacturers of better cars do....[/QUOTE]

if you look at 997/997.2 the soft touch plastic is very different, even my 958 cayenne had different/cheaper soft touch plastic.. the 991 material looks much better and feels better as well.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have only one small complaint. Why the excess button blanks in the center console? It looks unfinished and I also don't like the lack of symmetry when you have an odd number of buttons. That's it and minor.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
I will agree however, they could have put some leather on the door panels, etc without the full leather interior to make it look upscale like other manufacturers of better cars do....
rpilot: The interior of any 991 or 991S, even if you don't order a single additional leather option, does come with the following in textured (but real) leather!

1) front seat centers
2) steering wheel rim
3) airbag module on steering wheel
4) gearshift lever (on manual)
5) door handles
6) door armrests

Let me repeat what I recently wrote in another post here in this forum:

"2) Leather Interior Choices - Part #3

Just to be clear about as to what you get from Porsche when you order a 'full leather' interior, let's first see what you get as standard in leather without spending a penny extra and compared with a 'Full Leather' Interior on the same model!

A) Standard 'Partial Leather Interior' on all US market 991's.

1) front seat centers
2) steering wheel rim
3) airbag module on steering wheel
4) gearshift lever
5) door handles
6) door armrests

I believe this is similar to what the previous 997 sported in leather as 'standard' on every 911 destined for the US, except 997's also had leather handles on e-brake!.

B) Optional 'Full Leather' Interior on a US market 991!

Covered in smooth-finish leather in interior color:
1) front seat centers
2) front seat side bolsters
3) front headrests
4) front seat backrests (unless Sport Plus)
5) steering wheel rim
6) airbag module on steering wheel
7) gearshift lever
8) center console storage compartment lid
9) center console side section
10) dashboard top incl. instrument cluster cover
11) dashboard bottom incl. glove compartment lid
12) door handles
13) door armrests and paneling
14) door paneling top section
15) door panel inserts (metal looking trim piece)
16) rear seat centers
17) rear seat bolsters
18) rear side paneling
19) center tunnel cover in rear

First photo will show a Guards Red 991 Coupe with standard 'Partial Leather' interior with no additional leather options! Photos taken at 'Porsche of Colorado Springs'. Porsche also offers a 'Partial Leather' interior but with a 'Full Leather' seats. I don't currently have photos that will show this type of interior. The contrasting set of photos show mostly an Agate Grey 991 with 'Full Leather' interior. Photos taken on US 1 near Carmel!

Alcantara headliner is standard on all 991. However, you will get A & C pillars covered in 'Alcantara' if you order a 'full leather' interior. Otherwise, A & C pillars are covered in vinyl on a standard 991. Alcantara pillars on 'full leather' interiors is new to the 991 model and has not been done before at the factory on 911's!

There is a dedicated group of buyers that consider a 'full leather' interior on a Porsche sport car as totally superfluous. I am not on that camp. But I respect their choices and understand their point of view. The quality of the textured vinyl used by Porsche is one the highest in the industry. It will outlive most of us on these cars and look 'new' for years to come! However, I believe that the added visual, tactile & olfactory pleasures you get from a 'full leather' interior in your Porsche adds greatly to ownership experience and is highly recommended!"

You can find the full thread at the link below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images   
Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

im sorry but seat centers are "leather" but not "smooth leather" unless you order leather seats... otherwise they are embossed leather and nowhere near "smooth leather"

arm rests, steering wheel, door pull, center consold lid, shifter are smooth leather standard...

leather seats gets you smooth leather seats (only fronts w/ sport plus seats)... rest is etc etc,

the "embossed leather" is crap, and sad. porsche should be ashamed.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
im sorry but seat centers are "leather" but not "smooth leather" unless you order leather seats... otherwise they are embossed leather and nowhere near "smooth leather"

arm rests, steering wheel, door pull, center consold lid, shifter are smooth leather standard...

leather seats gets you smooth leather seats (only fronts w/ sport plus seats)... rest is etc etc,

the "embossed leather" is crap, and sad. porsche should be ashamed.
Don't 'sorry' me Riley, read my full thread first and take a good look at all the photos I have attached to my post on my thread! I am backing you up here and you need help to clearly make your points without being offensive!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
jlamb
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got just under 9000 miles on my S. The few complaints I have are a hesitiation when I mash the peddle. Sometimes it just sits there and lags like a turbo, but it's not. I've got vibrations in the sound system on the drivers door and both door hinges creek while opening and closing. My audio system has twice now not been recognized when I've started the car, leaving me no audio until I shut it down, pull the key, lock the doors and reenter the car. I'd also have to say that there is too much difference between normal and sport mode performance. Normal is too lame yet sport tends to be better for everyday driving to me. I think there should be sport, sport plus and sport plus plus
Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Z356
Don't 'sorry' me Riley, read my full thread first and take a good look at all the photos I have attached to my post on my thread! I am backing you up here and you need help to clearly make your points without being offensive!

Saludos,
Eduardo
apologies if i came off brash, i was just pointing out the diff in seating materials... i guess my distaste for the embossed leather came out on you.

also the C pillar is alcantara on all vehicles.. not sure why.

Last edited by rijowysock; 08-06-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 991 "Flaws"