Sponsored by:

991 "Flaws"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:18 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation 991 "Flaws"

almost 90 days of ownership and 6000 miles and here are my qualms... please feel free to add yours.

A: every time my wipers go down, they mist the previously scraped water all over windshield... (use the washer fluid, it will clean it 100% off going "left" but when wipers go "right" and down it mists the windshield.

B: the door mounted mirrors causes excessive buffeting in the cabin with windows down (put hand between mirror and A pillar and buffeting gone)

C: too much PSM intervention while driving, even with "PSM OFF", the car pulls timing, feathers the clutch, and pulls power way too often to considered a "sports car"...

D: No overhead light for main cabin (front lights shine right or left, not overall "down")

E: Front L.E.D.'s have been "softened" using a glass rod with LED at ends (think BMW halo) versus the Cayenne V6/997.2 L.E.D. that reflect directly outwards (brighter).. the new LED bars are very muted.

F: the wheelbase change along with the new free'er flowing headers makes the engine/headers more susceptible to impact, find myself "scraping" both on a regular basis versus never with 997.1 and 997.2

G: Would love "time and temp" to overlay the map in cluster (similar to how the "need gas" icon, or "auto off" icon overlays the map in cluster.)

H: 997.2 Key was more ideal, the "cayenne" / "panamera" fob is cheap feeling and non sports car esque.

I: the cabin seems too "sound dampened" at times (symposer needs to go) but the cabin still has way too much road noise. (does not make sense)... maybe have more sound dampening in the wheel wells to reduce road noise... and not so much in other area's to hear the engine moreso? the only sound in the cabin with windows shut is the intake sound from symposer and some valve noise.

J: whilst the "pleather" dash has improved in quality and appearance other areas of the vehicle are very "cheap" and plastic toy like... as soon as you start removing panels you see that everything is cheap plastic and you no longer wonder why the interior has so any creak's and rattles...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing that I have noticed that I don't like ( in only 2100 miles) is I can't easily see the tack unless I take my polarized sunglasses off or turn the parking lights on. Since my car is a PDK Cab, some of Riley's observations don't apply, but my car is so much quieter than my 997.2 Cab that it amazing. No rattles or squeaks have turned up yet. The top is so painless to to put up or down (I'll admit to showing off doing it while driving along) that it is either up with windows up or down. I think all modern cars are designed to have their windows up and ac on....Cd don't you know.

I find the interior quality to be outstanding. I prefer the look and intimate feel of my 993's interior but the modern conveniences of the 991 make it a terrific daily driver. The only silly thing I've noticed is that it has more damn clocks than any car I've ever owned. Oh, and I think I'll end up plugging the sound symposer because I like the
shift program of sport but I'm tiring of the noise. It's great on
the test drive though. Small criticisms, great car...Cheers".........Chris
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Since my car is a PDK Cab, some of Riley's observations don't apply, but my car is so much quieter than my 997.2 Cab that it amazing. No rattles or squeaks have turned up yet. The top is so painless to to put up or down (I'll admit to showing off doing it while driving along) that it is either up with windows up or down. ".........Chris
i agree, my 997 cab was very noisy and the 991 cab is basically like a hard top convert with that magnesium structure underneath, the improved wind breaker is nice as well.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,646 Likes on 5,105 Posts

Price.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

D: No overhead light for main cabin (front lights shine right or left, not overall "down")

F: the wheelbase change along with the new free'er flowing headers makes the engine/headers more susceptible to impact, find myself "scraping" both on a regular basis versus never with 997.1 and 997.2
A little more interior lighting would be nice.

You are "scraping" because . . . you slammed the car down by another 1"+ more than PASM Sport. This is not a "flaw" of Porsche's doing. Maybe a skid plate should be installed.

Haven't noticed any mirror buffeting with the window down but will try the hand intervention next time. I do find that the door mirrors are farther out than the 996/7 and I must turn my head to look rather than just the eyes. Porsche could have pushed the mirrors forward some to negate this effect.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 AM
MojoCowboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have any complaints. Can't think of a better car on the market for the price.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

At what speeds does the buffeting start?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

Mine has no flaws. The Cool-Aid is so tasty.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

driver down window buffetting at 65 horrendous- both all the way down probelamtic at 75 solution is partially up passenger iwndow seems to solve it

windows down help mute the sound of the god awful passennger side rattle Ill address when summer is over

time is in that sports chrono tiny tiny central clock too

gforce- sports chrono do they really need be on the menu of the right screen?

i used to like scrolling stations on the right thumb on the multiwheel now you need to enter that screen and engage that function

takes quite soome time for blutooth to link to the iphone

stupid little things Ill easily live with- but were being picky here
Old 07-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
almost 90 days of ownership and 6000 miles and here are my qualms... please feel free to add yours.

A: every time my wipers go down, they mist the previously scraped water all over windshield... (use the washer fluid, it will clean it 100% off going "left" but when wipers go "right" and down it mists the windshield.

B: the door mounted mirrors causes excessive buffeting in the cabin with windows down (put hand between mirror and A pillar and buffeting gone)

C: too much PSM intervention while driving, even with "PSM OFF", the car pulls timing, feathers the clutch, and pulls power way too often to considered a "sports car"...

E: Front L.E.D.'s have been "softened" using a glass rod with LED at ends (think BMW halo) versus the Cayenne V6/997.2 L.E.D. that reflect directly outwards (brighter).. the new LED bars are very muted.

G: Would love "time and temp" to overlay the map in cluster (similar to how the "need gas" icon, or "auto off" icon overlays the map in cluster.)

H: 997.2 Key was more ideal, the "cayenne" / "panamera" fob is cheap feeling and non sports car esque.

I: the cabin seems too "sound dampened" at times (symposer needs to go) but the cabin still has way too much road noise. (does not make sense)... maybe have more sound dampening in the wheel wells to reduce road noise... and not so much in other area's to hear the engine moreso? the only sound in the cabin with windows shut is the intake sound from symposer and some valve noise.

J: whilst the "pleather" dash has improved in quality and appearance other areas of the vehicle are very "cheap" and plastic toy like... as soon as you start removing panels you see that everything is cheap plastic and you no longer wonder why the interior has so any creak's and rattles...
Did you not test-drive one prior to buying?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these things never would show up in a test drive- the qualms i have- for example- only come after careful observation and are not really things for which I could say I would never have purchased the car. I think there is some benefit to experience and new owners would benefit knowing this or that It took me some experimenting to get the window buffeting issue controlled0 i would have been happy to get the solution earlier

I had a scaping issue with sport suspension issue on the 997.2 that was cured by no sports suspension now!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do the headers on the 991 hang lower vs 997?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
For one thing, the OP doesn't have stock headers. I've read of no complaints of stock headers bottoming out on the 991 any more than they did on the 997. The fact that aftermarket headers didn't bottom on the 997 is no guarantee that they won't do it on a 991. It's the risk you take when you start making changes to a car that wasn't necessarily designed for that particular mod....
Old 07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
evio
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a polar silver 991 mt with blue guts and I have zero complaints. Love driving it.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:49 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Price.
thats ont thing i find "ok", the price only went up slightly and they added several options that we previously had to pay for.. good value IMO.

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
A little more interior lighting would be nice.

You are "scraping" because . . . you slammed the car down by another 1"+ more than PASM Sport. This is not a "flaw" of Porsche's doing. Maybe a skid plate should be installed.

Haven't noticed any mirror buffeting with the window down but will try the hand intervention next time. I do find that the door mirrors are farther out than the 996/7 and I must turn my head to look rather than just the eyes. Porsche could have pushed the mirrors forward some to negate this effect.
the engine scraped before the car was lowered, I feel it it because of the VERY limp springs on non PASM cars... i think they are like 46Nm versus 75Nm and 91Nm (on the PASM and PASM sport vehicles)

with your windows fully down and sunroof closed you have no buffeting?

Originally Posted by MojoCowboy
Don't have any complaints. Can't think of a better car on the market for the price.
car is good value for the money, but that's not to say Porsche R&D cannot make simple improvements.

Originally Posted by keithos27
At what speeds does the buffeting start?
30mph?... it's just ever present.

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Did you not test-drive one prior to buying?
Ordered/Bought the car in November... it's not a "test drive" qualm.. the car is a good car.. just some improvements for Porsche to take note of. (same way they made many fixes/changes to the 958 Cayenne)

Originally Posted by peterm
these things never would show up in a test drive- the qualms i have- for example- only come after careful observation and are not really things for which I could say I would never have purchased the car. I think there is some benefit to experience and new owners would benefit knowing this or that It took me some experimenting to get the window buffeting issue controlled0 i would have been happy to get the solution earlier

I had a scaping issue with sport suspension issue on the 997.2 that was cured by no sports suspension now!
yeah, the problems do not make the car "horrible" or "unbuyable".. just things that are easy to fix/tweak...

Originally Posted by kosmo
the headers on 991 hang well below the oil pan/pickup... versus the 997.1 which were the same shape but did not hang below.. and the 997.2 which were fluid formed and did not hang below..

997.1 and 997.2 were at least .5" above the engine bottom
991 is at least .5 to .75" below the engine bottom.

also the geometry of the engine placement versus the rear wheels is different, this i notice because the same speed bumps/etc i drove over with the much lower 997.2 hit on the 991.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
For one thing, the OP doesn't have stock headers. I've read of no complaints of stock headers bottoming out on the 991 any more than they did on the 997. The fact that aftermarket headers didn't bottom on the 997 is no guarantee that they won't do it on a 991. It's the risk you take when you start making changes to a car that wasn't necessarily designed for that particular mod....
i do have stock headers, i would never change the headers on a vehicle after the letter i got from PCNA when asking about this on 997.2, they will void all engine warranty if headers (cats) are changed out.

Quick Reply: 991 "Flaws"