Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 "Flaws"

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:43 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

30 mph, yikes... that sounds like a pretty low speed to experience that, no?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i do have stock headers, i would never change the headers on a vehicle after the letter i got from PCNA when asking about this on 997.2, they will void all engine warranty if headers (cats) are changed out.
You were talking about replacing headers at one point, and when you mentioned the "new freer flowing headers" I assumed you had gone ahead and done it. My bad. Still I've read no other complaints about bottoming the stock headers.

Didn't you lower your car significantly, as well, or do I have that wrong too?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by evio
I have a polar silver 991 mt with blue guts and I have zero complaints. Love driving it.
8 posts, 5 mentioning that your 991 is polar silver. Let's see some pictures!! I love that color.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

also the geometry of the engine placement versus the rear wheels is different, this i notice because the same speed bumps/etc i drove over with the much lower 997.2 hit on the 991.
With the engine placement more forward, this would mean less likely to bottom out, me thinks (if all else the same, which it is not).

I have yet to bottom out on anything with SPASM. I hope to keep it that way...
Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM
evio
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

I have not posted any pictures because I am not computer savy at all and I am not sure how to post pictures
Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM
VC74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

polar silver pictures please!!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

Hmm...if we're really picking nits-
-PDK standard mode. I can't drive it in standard mode. It shifts into 6th gear before I get out of my neighborhood and I'm doing 35. And it's a low torque engine. Ridiculous in a high end sports car. Like other features, Sport mode should be default if that's where you left it like engine stop feature.
-Full leather is nice, not cheap so no complaints there.
-Didn't like Sound Symposer (except over-rev burbles on downshifts) but that was an easy fix- thanks RL.
-Got tired of scraping on last 2 cars with SPASM so ordered this with normal S suspension. Doesn't look as good but don't scrape- an acceptable trade-off.
-Rock/stone noise hitting in wheelwells. Noticed it on test drive- my 997.2, no rock noise; 991 and I heard every single pebble driving in and out of the dealer parking lot. Notice it all the time now. I think the wheelwells need extra insulation or something.
-Love so many things about the car that the above barely detracts from the experience.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 PM
royalton
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not as of yet,

But I did have to have someting adjusted with the rear wind screen, dealer was great though, picked up the car had it back the same day.

2012 911 S Cabriolet
Carrara White
Espresso natural leather interior
PDK
Sport Chrono package
Model Logo on center Console
Porsche crest in Headrests
Sport design steering wheel
HRE p40 SC Satin Black Wheels
Burmeister (R) Audio Package
Premium package with 14 way seats
Cabriolet roof in black
Blinder HP-905
Valentine One
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Didn't like Sound Symposer (except over-rev burbles on downshifts) but that was an easy fix- thanks RL.
Can you elaborate on this, please?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:47 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

keithos, here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7046...bin-inlet.html
Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Very interesting/informative. Thanks for sharing your list.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:19 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

. . .

the engine scraped before the car was lowered, I feel it it because of the VERY limp springs on non PASM cars... i think they are like 46Nm versus 75Nm and 91Nm (on the PASM and PASM sport vehicles)

. . . .
Those are NOT the correct 991 spring rates.
I posted them earlier on your thread "Finally lowered w/exhaust"

These are the correct rates.
https://rennlist.com/forums/9690470-post28.html

You are having bottoming and without a doubt, have other suspension problems with your mods.
If you drive your car so hard that you bottom out so much, even before your mods, you need to rethink your mods! You seem to be more of a Rally car driver, but on the street!

I differ (along with any serious tuner) with your way of thinking on just replacing springs, while leaving the stock base 991 shocks and sways. They are an Engineered package. Replacing stiffer springs only causes the car to go bouncy bouncy down the road!

The base 991 shocks are not dampening the new springs correctly . . . therefore bottoming out and other instabilities. The rebound and compression settings of the base 991 shocks cannot cope with those springs that you installed. For example, the base shock rebound is tuned to handle the base spring. If a stiffer spring is introduced, the rebound is probably too slow to handle the stiffer spring. This can cause "packing-up" of the shock, as it can't cope with the faster spring and loads, fast enough. This can lower your spring even further by not rebounding before the next bump. The ride will feel even harsher and unstable.

The compression settings on the base shock can't handle the new spring. You need to increase the compression settings of the high speed compression setting to help "dampen" and control the compression of the suspension by the higher loads that you are introducing.

It is always a compromise between firmness and comfort, or course.

What are the rates of the new springs that you installed? I asked this before but you did not reply to this.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Those are NOT the correct 991 spring rates.
I posted them earlier on your thread "Finally lowered w/exhaust"

These are the correct rates.
https://rennlist.com/forums/9690470-post28.html

You are having bottoming and without a doubt, have other suspension problems with your mods.
If you drive your car so hard that you bottom out so much, even before your mods, you need to rethink your mods! You seem to be more of a Rally car driver, but on the street!

I differ (along with any serious tuner) with your way of thinking on just replacing springs, while leaving the stock base 991 shocks and sways. They are an Engineered package. Replacing stiffer springs only causes the car to go bouncy bouncy down the road!

The base 991 shocks are not dampening the new springs correctly . . . therefore bottoming out and other instabilities. The rebound and compression settings of the base 991 shocks cannot cope with those springs that you installed. For example, the base shock rebound is tuned to handle the base spring. If a stiffer spring is introduced, the rebound is probably too slow to handle the stiffer spring. This can cause "packing-up" of the shock, as it can't cope with the faster spring and loads, fast enough. This can lower your spring even further by not rebounding before the next bump. The ride will feel even harsher and unstable.

The compression settings on the base shock can't handle the new spring. You need to increase the compression settings of the high speed compression setting to help "dampen" and control the compression of the suspension by the higher loads that you are introducing.

It is always a compromise between firmness and comfort, or course.

What are the rates of the new springs that you installed? I asked this before but you did not reply to this.
as far as rates, i remember you post and was just going off my head and they were in the right "region" for comparison

i bottomed out BEFORE the mods, have not since with the stiffer setup.

i'm not "rally car driving" i am/was exiting driveways and parking lots... at a "Crawl" speed... i do not drive the car without care, have driven many lower vehicles but the overhang is whats problematic on the vehicle w/ the stock springs being so "slack" (in NC when i first had the problem is was the end of a driveway and the car would "bounce" and bottom out because of the limp springs.. it was nowhere near the ground prior to the "bounce" and this was backing out at no more than a crawl)

you assume i have not thought of sway bars and shocks, wait a second THEY DONT EXIST YET FOR THE 991, the same with the exhaust mods I plan on.... I am working with several tuners to produce the parts unavailable yet for the 991. (you're welcome)

again, your assumptions have gotten the best of you.... you should check out my old posts with mods to my 997.1/997.2/ExigeS220 before assuming I just added springs "for the fun of it"... Since before the 991 even arrived I have been trying to arrange suspension mods and other mods, but these companies are very slow to produce items....

for now i just have to make-do with what's available, I will only have the 991 for another 3 months or so till i figure what else to buy....
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 AM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't understand how you get your car to "bottom out" when you exit driveways and parking lots at crawl speeds. Where I live there are 7 speed bumps along our driveways. I find that I can go over these at up to 35 MPH without any issues. No bottoming out, no severe discomfort in the car. My car is a base car with PASM and 20" wheels.

I suspect there is some part of this story that is missing....
Old 07-27-2012, 10:28 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

997.2 PASM sport suspension- with suspension engaged very easy to scrape front lip at my corner which is a hill, some road humps (intersections) the car would bottom out at relatively low speed- same conditions now no sport suspension eliminated this issue much more relaxing not to "worry" I was coming out of a drive once in 996 with a large curb lip and as the rear tires hit pavement the car hit ground really hard- oil pressure rapidly dropped new pan required ouch

Quick Reply: 991 "Flaws"