Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 911 (base) or 2012 911 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

OK, let's not dwell on esthetics. To me the 997 is rounded and feminine. To others it is not. To everyone its own taste, let's move past that.

BUT what I highlighted in bold in your post makes me frown. We are in the middle of a global crisis, financial and ecological. Furthermore 99% of the people on this planet can only dream about Porsches and stuff like that, they drive around in ****ty econoboxes (or some only on bikes or on foot, or even have no security about food on the table on a daily basis). Where I live a Renault Clio RS with a 4 cylinder 190hp engine is considered a hothatch sportscar and is a trackday weapon.
Yet still there are people that find that a 991 C2 falls woefully short to drive in the real world :-O IN THE REAL WORLD :-O
Yet still there are people questioning the C2 3.4 being worthy of the Porsche brand name :-O

I must do a lot of selfcensorship about what I say next, because this makes my blood boil. But I must stay polite and respectfull. So I can only come to the conclusion that some people have a different sense of perspective than I do ! And that is putting it mildly, VERY MILDLY !

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
However, I would definitely NOT buy a base 991. Never understood why anyone would buy one for the money. Regarding whether a base 991 will outperform a GTS on the track, it might with all the computer nannies on the 991. However, track times are often over emphasized. No one drives on the track as often as regular roads, unless you are a professional test driver, or racer. Real world, real road driving experience is what matters to most. And for me, this is were the base 991 falls woefully short. Just way too little low end power and torque for me. I often wonder what people would say about a base 991 with its 3.4 liter engine if it didn't say Porsche on it.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
So I can only come to the conclusion that some people have a different sense of perspective than I do ! And that is putting it mildly, VERY MILDLY !
everything is relative, including poverty
Old 01-30-2014, 11:14 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

But I do agree with you that if I was buying today, I would most likely get a 991 S over the GTS, even though I love mine and can't convince myself to trade, yet. However, I would definitely NOT buy a base 991. Never understood why anyone would buy one for the money. Regarding whether a base 991 will outperform a GTS on the track, it might with all the computer nannies on the 991. However, track times are often over emphasized. No one drives on the track as often as regular roads, unless you are a professional test driver, or racer. Real world, real road driving experience is what matters to most. And for me, this is were the base 991 falls woefully short. Just way too little low end power and torque for me. I often wonder what people would say about a base 991 with its 3.4 liter engine if it didn't say Porsche on it.
You sir, are full of ****e if you don't consider a base 991 worthy of the Porsche badge. 184mph, 3.4 0-60 cars are slow? Phew....
Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

3.4 0-60? I think not.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:16 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
OK, let's not dwell on esthetics. To me the 997 is rounded and feminine. To others it is not. To everyone its own taste, let's move past that.

BUT what I highlighted in bold in your post makes me frown. We are in the middle of a global crisis, financial and ecological. Furthermore 99% of the people on this planet can only dream about Porsches and stuff like that, they drive around in ****ty econoboxes (or some only on bikes or on foot, or even have no security about food on the table on a daily basis). Where I live a Renault Clio RS with a 4 cylinder 190hp engine is considered a hothatch sportscar and is a trackday weapon.
Yet still there are people that find that a 991 C2 falls woefully short to drive in the real world :-O IN THE REAL WORLD :-O
Yet still there are people questioning the C2 3.4 being worthy of the Porsche brand name :-O

I must do a lot of selfcensorship about what I say next, because this makes my blood boil. But I must stay polite and respectfull. So I can only come to the conclusion that some people have a different sense of perspective than I do ! And that is putting it mildly, VERY MILDLY !
While I don't share the same view on the base 991 as the original poster, you are misinterpreting what he means by real world. The 991 base is worthy of the Porsche badge IMO. But back to real world. There's no way a 350 HP car will "perform" better than a 408 HP car in day to day driving situations. If you give the 991 base PDCC and all the computer gizmos etc., it will be close on the ring, but around town, carving canyons, it will not have the same performance as a 408HP GTS. He did not mean REAL WORLD as it relates to affordability or incomes or any such matter.. Let's leave that to another forum
Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
While I don't share the same view on the base 991 as the original poster, you are misinterpreting what he means by real world. The 991 base is worthy of the Porsche badge IMO. But back to real world. There's no way a 350 HP car will "perform" better than a 408 HP car in day to day driving situations. If you give the 991 base PDCC and all the computer gizmos etc., it will be close on the ring, but around town, carving canyons, it will not have the same performance as a 408HP GTS. He did not mean REAL WORLD as it relates to affordability or incomes or any such matter.. Let's leave that to another forum
Thank you. This is exactly what I meant.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:10 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
3.4 0-60? I think not.
Oops, 4.3, the 3.4 car is the one with the flux capacitor engaged.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

But I do agree with you that if I was buying today, I would most likely get a 991 S over the GTS
This would not be a tough choice for most people.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:19 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
This would not be a tough choice for most people.
I agree, and I like my GTS better than any 911 I have owned. I just said I would probably buy the 991 S over the GTS if buying today because I usually buy new, not pre-owned.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:00 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Thank you. This is exactly what I meant.
Yeah, I'm over it. It's only a forum. Let's not dwell on it GSIRM3
Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

page 10 hmmm

dwell on??

Quick Reply: 2013 911 (base) or 2012 911 GTS?