Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

photo: power kit for 2013 for Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

take a look at the torque and power comparisons .. all improvements at the top end, above 6600 rpm. Below that, you lose some torque in some rev ranges.

more info: http://www.porsche.com/uk/powerkit-911-carrera-s/
Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much - yes this is the image I found a while back during random Googling but could not find again.
I suppose if you're going to race the top end matters - I should think in all other cases there is simply no point. It's too little though to really warrant the effort in my opinion. Other than that there is only badge value left...
Rather save up for the GT3 - I think it will be quite spectacular.

Rainier

Originally Posted by sfo
take a look at the torque and power comparisons .. all improvements at the top end, above 6600 rpm. Below that, you lose some torque in some rev ranges.

more info: http://www.porsche.com/uk/powerkit-911-carrera-s/
Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'm heading down to Best Buy to get some LED back-lit computer fans to "upgrade" the engine.
Hate to say it, but not a bad idea!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:07 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I saw a "drag race" between a 991S and a 997.2 GTS (both PDK) with the cars in a rolling start, 1st gear, Sport Plus mode, "mash the throttle pedal" (push down on the floor button) which took the cars over about a quarter mile, from about 20 mph to about 110 or 120 mph. Level ground, slight tail breeze.

For three runs, the 991 S consistently moved ahead of the 997 GTS. It wasn't by much, but in every gear, the 991 was a tad quicker.

I had expected the GTS to have the edge since it wasn't a launch mode drag from a standing start, so any upgrades to PDK wouldn't be in play. Still, once the initial reaction time was negated (whether the 991 was a nose ahead or the 997 was ahead) you could see the relative movement of the cars, side by side, and the 991 was consistently moving ahead in every gear and clearly at 110 or 120, both cars had another 50 mph of acceleration to go.

Overall, I guess it makes sense to see Porsche put the "new" car slightly ahead of the "old" car, but since the old car in this case is also the hot rod version of the old car, I expected the GTS would still hold the edge. It would also have gone some way towards me rationalizing the GTS as a better all-rounder for my purposes.

As ever, I have to make the note that if only the Power Kit included steering with feel and feedback, it would be worth it. I'd just have to get a body shop to erase the script from the computer cooling fan shroud. : )

Anyway, bring on the Power Kit 3 ... I mean 991 PK3 ... errr ... 991 GT3 ... : |
It's more than about numbers and drag racing. Drive the two of them on the twisty coastal roads of CA and see which one suits you best. Nine nine seven hands down for me.

Quick Reply: photo: power kit for 2013 for Carrera S