Notices
991
Sponsored by:

DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal

 
Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 PM
  #1  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,721
Default DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal

Items Needed:

91% isopropyl alcohol (must be 91%)
Microfiber cloth or similar
Patience


1: Take the cloth, soak with 91% and rub sticker back and forth (not rubbing sticker off but just soaking it with 91%, reapply new alcohol to the pad and keep rubbing (alcohol will evaporate and not be as strong)

2: After maybe 1-2 minutes you should be able to peel off the sticker in one swipe..

3: If it comes off in pieces, it will leave residue behind, to remove residue soak with 91% again and after 30 seconds of soaking then rub the cloth harder against surface to remove, but not hard enough to stretch the "pleather".

4: Now you dont have those tacky visor stickers anymore!

Horrible Cell pic:
rijowysock is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 10:41 PM
  #2  
97c2s993
User
 
97c2s993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greater NY area
Posts: 229
Default

Awesome tip, thanks! No damage or residue whatsoever to the visors?
97c2s993 is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 PM
  #3  
TSpyder
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 199
Default

I've been waiting 21 yrs for this info so that I can remove the damn stickers on my 21 yo NSX
TSpyder is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 10:59 PM
  #4  
Z356
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Z356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,867
Default

I have factory leather visors in Carrera Red on my Spyder. As much as I would like to remove the nanny sticker, I am worried about damaging the leather with something like 91% isopropyl alcohol. Has anyone had a good experience removing the warning label from a leather visor and what have they used?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Z356 is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 PM
  #5  
nfldcoffee
User
 
nfldcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St.John's ,Newfoundland
Posts: 20
Default

Or you can buy cover-up decals on ebay Item number: 130707606483 from boxsterbob1999
nfldcoffee is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 PM
  #6  
nfldcoffee
User
 
nfldcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St.John's ,Newfoundland
Posts: 20
Default

Why take a chance and damage your sunvisor with chemicals trying to remove airbag warning labels, buy the cover-ups .
nfldcoffee is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 12:18 AM
  #7  
kosmo
Super User
 
kosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: THE Republic
Posts: 10,595
Default

hmm i think thats illegal!!!!
kosmo is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 AM
  #8  
il cattivo
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks rijowysock, this looks like it works great on the standard visors. I had the leather visors in my last Porsche and always wanted to take them off but was afraid I'd damage them and never tried. The Porsche.com configurator doesn't even show leather visors as an available option on the 991. If the leather visor option got killed off I will definitely do this removal on my next car.
il cattivo is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 02:07 AM
  #9  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,721
Default

Originally Posted by 97c2s993 View Post
Awesome tip, thanks! No damage or residue whatsoever to the visors?
nothing at all, breaks the bond and comes off in one piece.. i had residue on one side cause sticker tore but it came off in 5 mins.. the 91% doesnt remove anything off the visor... does not affect the pleather as long as your not rough w/ it (i wouldnt scrub, i just keep it wet and then wait for glue bond to come off.
rijowysock is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 AM
  #10  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,721
Default

Originally Posted by Z356 View Post
I have factory leather visors in Carrera Red on my Spyder. As much as I would like to remove the nanny sticker, I am worried about damaging the leather with something like 91% isopropyl alcohol. Has anyone had a good experience removing the warning label from a leather visor and what have they used?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
should not remove the finish, but stronger would... why not test it like on the front of the seat underneath where wraps around... just rub with a white cloth for 2 minutes and keep checking for red... no red=no problem.
rijowysock is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 02:10 AM
  #11  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,721
Default

Originally Posted by nfldcoffee View Post
Why take a chance and damage your sunvisor with chemicals trying to remove airbag warning labels, buy the cover-ups .
i like them gone to be clean looking, not to cover up.. right now mine is all uniform... thats the way i like it.. not covered up.

the "airbag light" however, electrical tape all the way because it's annoying and too bright at night.
rijowysock is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM
  #12  
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member
 
Edgy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 17,500
Default

Originally Posted by Z356 View Post
I have factory leather visors in Carrera Red on my Spyder. As much as I would like to remove the nanny sticker, I am worried about damaging the leather with something like 91% isopropyl alcohol. Has anyone had a good experience removing the warning label from a leather visor and what have they used?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
I cleaned those off my natural leather visors several years ago (997). The materials are essentially the same.

Just take your time and use something like brake cleaner to break down the solvents in the stickers. Just take your time and apply in small amounts. Treat the area later with a good leather conditioner.
Edgy01 is offline  
Old 06-11-2012, 12:26 AM
  #13  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,721
Default

Originally Posted by Edgy01 View Post
I cleaned those off my natural leather visors several years ago (997). The materials are essentially the same.

Just take your time and use something like brake cleaner to break down the solvents in the stickers. Just take your time and apply in small amounts. Treat the area later with a good leather conditioner.
brake cleaner!!!!??? brake cleaner takes off paint in 2 seconds!

stick with the alcohol, it wont hurt anything and just condition after.
rijowysock is offline  
Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 AM
  #14  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
Items Needed:

91% isopropyl alcohol (must be 91%)
Microfiber cloth or similar
Patience


1: Take the cloth, soak with 91% and rub sticker back and forth (not rubbing sticker off but just soaking it with 91%, reapply new alcohol to the pad and keep rubbing (alcohol will evaporate and not be as strong)

2: After maybe 1-2 minutes you should be able to peel off the sticker in one swipe..

3: If it comes off in pieces, it will leave residue behind, to remove residue soak with 91% again and after 30 seconds of soaking then rub the cloth harder against surface to remove, but not hard enough to stretch the "pleather".

4: Now you dont have those tacky visor stickers anymore!
Great info. I used the exact process Riley describes on both my previous '99 996 and my '09 997 to remove the stickers. Two additional tips: You can use a Que tip dipped in alcohol to "paint" the contact line where the sticker meets the visor as you peel it off, which eases the process. Also, be sure not to get alcohol on the hinges for the flip down mirror if you decide to do that side as it can dissolve the glue which holds them in place.
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 AM
  #15  
jmm
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80
Default

Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
brake cleaner!!!!??? brake cleaner takes off paint in 2 seconds!

stick with the alcohol, it wont hurt anything and just condition after.
He said brake cleaner, not brake fluid.
jmm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: