Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/701069-diy-visor-warning-stickers-removal.html)

rijowysock 06-09-2012 08:50 PM

DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal

Items Needed:

91% isopropyl alcohol (must be 91%)
Microfiber cloth or similar
Patience

1: Take the cloth, soak with 91% and rub sticker back and forth (not rubbing sticker off but just soaking it with 91%, reapply new alcohol to the pad and keep rubbing (alcohol will evaporate and not be as strong)

2: After maybe 1-2 minutes you should be able to peel off the sticker in one swipe..

3: If it comes off in pieces, it will leave residue behind, to remove residue soak with 91% again and after 30 seconds of soaking then rub the cloth harder against surface to remove, but not hard enough to stretch the "pleather".

4: Now you dont have those tacky visor stickers anymore!

Horrible Cell pic:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...k/photo-13.jpg

97c2s993 06-09-2012 10:41 PM

Awesome tip, thanks! No damage or residue whatsoever to the visors?

TSpyder 06-09-2012 10:54 PM

I've been waiting 21 yrs for this info so that I can remove the damn stickers on my 21 yo NSX:cheers:

Z356 06-09-2012 10:59 PM

I have factory leather visors in Carrera Red on my Spyder. As much as I would like to remove the nanny sticker, I am worried about damaging the leather with something like 91% isopropyl alcohol. Has anyone had a good experience removing the warning label from a leather visor and what have they used?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

nfldcoffee 06-09-2012 11:00 PM

Or you can buy cover-up decals on ebay Item number: 130707606483 from boxsterbob1999

nfldcoffee 06-09-2012 11:09 PM

Why take a chance and damage your sunvisor with chemicals trying to remove airbag warning labels, buy the cover-ups .

kosmo 06-10-2012 12:18 AM

hmm i think thats illegal!!!! :)

il cattivo 06-10-2012 12:40 AM

Thanks rijowysock, this looks like it works great on the standard visors. I had the leather visors in my last Porsche and always wanted to take them off but was afraid I'd damage them and never tried. The Porsche.com configurator doesn't even show leather visors as an available option on the 991. If the leather visor option got killed off I will definitely do this removal on my next car.

rijowysock 06-10-2012 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by 97c2s993 (Post 9599917)
Awesome tip, thanks! No damage or residue whatsoever to the visors?

nothing at all, breaks the bond and comes off in one piece.. i had residue on one side cause sticker tore but it came off in 5 mins.. the 91% doesnt remove anything off the visor... does not affect the pleather as long as your not rough w/ it (i wouldnt scrub, i just keep it wet and then wait for glue bond to come off.

rijowysock 06-10-2012 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 9599946)
I have factory leather visors in Carrera Red on my Spyder. As much as I would like to remove the nanny sticker, I am worried about damaging the leather with something like 91% isopropyl alcohol. Has anyone had a good experience removing the warning label from a leather visor and what have they used?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

should not remove the finish, but stronger would... why not test it like on the front of the seat underneath where wraps around... just rub with a white cloth for 2 minutes and keep checking for red... no red=no problem.

rijowysock 06-10-2012 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by nfldcoffee (Post 9599961)
Why take a chance and damage your sunvisor with chemicals trying to remove airbag warning labels, buy the cover-ups .

i like them gone to be clean looking, not to cover up.. right now mine is all uniform... thats the way i like it.. not covered up.

the "airbag light" however, electrical tape all the way because it's annoying and too bright at night.

Edgy01 06-10-2012 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 9599946)

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

I cleaned those off my natural leather visors several years ago (997). The materials are essentially the same.

Just take your time and use something like brake cleaner to break down the solvents in the stickers. Just take your time and apply in small amounts. Treat the area later with a good leather conditioner.

rijowysock 06-11-2012 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Edgy01 (Post 9601938)
I cleaned those off my natural leather visors several years ago (997). The materials are essentially the same.

Just take your time and use something like brake cleaner to break down the solvents in the stickers. Just take your time and apply in small amounts. Treat the area later with a good leather conditioner.

brake cleaner!!!!??? brake cleaner takes off paint in 2 seconds!

stick with the alcohol, it wont hurt anything and just condition after.

Mike in CA 06-11-2012 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by rijowysock (Post 9599741)
Items Needed:

91% isopropyl alcohol (must be 91%)
Microfiber cloth or similar
Patience

1: Take the cloth, soak with 91% and rub sticker back and forth (not rubbing sticker off but just soaking it with 91%, reapply new alcohol to the pad and keep rubbing (alcohol will evaporate and not be as strong)

2: After maybe 1-2 minutes you should be able to peel off the sticker in one swipe..

3: If it comes off in pieces, it will leave residue behind, to remove residue soak with 91% again and after 30 seconds of soaking then rub the cloth harder against surface to remove, but not hard enough to stretch the "pleather".

4: Now you dont have those tacky visor stickers anymore!

Great info. I used the exact process Riley describes on both my previous '99 996 and my '09 997 to remove the stickers. Two additional tips: You can use a Que tip dipped in alcohol to "paint" the contact line where the sticker meets the visor as you peel it off, which eases the process. Also, be sure not to get alcohol on the hinges for the flip down mirror if you decide to do that side as it can dissolve the glue which holds them in place.

jmm 06-11-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by rijowysock (Post 9602073)
brake cleaner!!!!??? brake cleaner takes off paint in 2 seconds!

stick with the alcohol, it wont hurt anything and just condition after.

He said brake cleaner, not brake fluid.