Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/701069-diy-visor-warning-stickers-removal.html)

OMFS 01-17-2016 10:14 AM

I should have just looked a bit harder on Reenlist. It has been done:
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9033...l-removal.html

STG 01-17-2016 10:32 AM

FYI: Suncoast and Sunset can order Euro version visors without any stickers on them. The lawyer lobby seems not as sue hungry there.

I like the Alcantara ones (stickerless) and got those already. Have not installed yet. I had the plastic ones and wanted a more upgraded look.

OMFS 01-17-2016 12:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It was just as easy as described.

holgum 01-17-2016 12:11 PM

Alcohol method worked for me too. Although if you look very closely you can just make out outline where it used to be. I assume it will all blend over time, but if not it doesn't bother me.
I wonder if it would be noticeable at all if done right after delivery (mine had nearly 2 years on it when I did it).

OMFS 01-17-2016 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by holgum (Post 12934063)
Alcohol method worked for me too. Although if you look very closely you can just make out outline where it used to be. I assume it will all blend over time, but if not it doesn't bother me.
I wonder if it would be noticeable at all if done right after delivery (mine had nearly 2 years on it when I did it).

I took delivery a few weeks ago. Very faint line but I got it off with a little rubbing.

slave2miles 01-17-2016 08:58 PM

Just did mine today as well. Did it on all 3 cars! The 16 X5 took forever but the 911 was smooth as glass easy! :rockon:

Kansas911 06-08-2016 12:21 PM

Just wanted to say I completed this procedure today with leather sun visors on my GT4 and worked like a charm with no issues! Thank you to all for the great insights.

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas981 (Post 13356693)
Just wanted to say I completed this procedure today with leather sun visors on my GT4 and worked like a charm with no issues! Thank you to all for the great insights.

That's great to hear! I just got my 991.2 a month ago and I have leather on my visors but was worried. I have the 91% rubbing alcohol. I'm assuming you left your visors on and used the soaked towel method?

Kansas911 06-08-2016 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS (Post 13357115)
That's great to hear! I just got my 991.2 a month ago and I have leather on my visors but was worried. I have the 91% rubbing alcohol. I'm assuming you left your visors on and used the soaked towel method?

Correct. One of my visors was unbelievably easy. The other took more time. I'm not sure what I did differently between the two, but you need patience :-)

I folded up a paper towel to match a little larger dimensions to the label, then soaked in 91%, rotated the visor so that the label was facing up, placed the paper towel on the visor and wrapped with a grocery bag and sealed. I let it sit for 20 minutes. Definitely start at edge and move towards inside.

Second one was quite a bit more work, but I think it was because I was not patient and didn't start with edges. I then used leather cleaner afterwards and they look great. There might be a small amount of residue, but better than a big label :-)

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas981 (Post 13357133)
Correct. One of my visors was unbelievably easy. The other took more time. I'm not sure what I did differently between the two, but you need patience :-)

I folded up a paper towel to match a little larger dimensions to the label, then soaked in 91%, rotated the visor so that the label was facing up, placed the paper towel on the visor and wrapped with a grocery bag and sealed. I let it sit for 20 minutes. Definitely start at edge and move towards inside.

Second one was quite a bit more work, but I think it was because I was not patient and didn't start with edges. I then used leather cleaner afterwards and they look great. There might be a small amount of residue, but better than a big label :-)

Sounds good. I'll do that today! Nice stable you got there btw :)

cajerseyboy 06-08-2016 03:29 PM

Be careful not to leave the alcohol on for an extended period. It has the potential to soak in and effect the adhesive that attaches the leather/pleather to core of visor. I did this on my right visor. It took a few days to get back to normal.

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by NA430GTS (Post 13357329)
Be careful not to leave the alcohol on for an extended period. It has the potential to soak in and effect the adhesive that attaches the leather/pleather to core of visor. I did this on my right visor. It took a few days to get back to normal.

I just placed a soaked paper towel on and will wait 20 minutes. We'll see how the leather turns out.

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FAIL FAIL FAIL!

As you can see in the top right corner, some of the leather came off. I soaked it a good amount and let it sit 20-23 minutes. Using my fingernail only to scrape of the decal. I'm having a hard time getting the rest of it off. Looks like I'm ordering another set of leather visors :banghead:

Kansas911 06-08-2016 05:33 PM

Thank sucks!!!!! I wonder what might be the cause of it working for others but not for you. Mine came right off. Sorry to hear.

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas981 (Post 13357732)
Thank sucks!!!!! I wonder what might be the cause of it working for others but not for you. Mine came right off. Sorry to hear.

No worries. I can get a new set from Suncoast for $1,200. I'll just leave the decals on though. LOL. I will try and take these off and see if I can salvage them first. More than likely not but will try. You know how picky us Porsche guys are. Hopefully they aren't too hard to remove off the car.

Heck, I might just go with Alcantara instead