Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/701069-diy-visor-warning-stickers-removal.html)

HotLap 06-14-2012 04:47 PM

Great tip rijo, I've always taken these off my past vehicles as I don't want bright yellow stickers (half of the sticker in a forign language no less) that the vehicle manufacturer has to install to avoid product liability lawsuits!! Ugly and always reminds me of how litigious our society has become (never MY fault)!!

I had always just used heat to soften the glue and remove the sticker. Heat doesn't always work well though as it can leave a light glue residue...still better than bright yellow stickers though. I had a heck of a time getting the sticker off the plastic visor mirror covers of my 997.2. Had to use acetone then buff the area to remove the residue.

Question, my 991 visors are leather, will the 91% alcohol damage the leather finish...anyone with leather remove their stickers yet?

UPDATE: Removed the stickers successfully last night and no damage to the visors. I have the full leather interior and had incorrectly assumed the visors were leather but they are vinyl and no damage from the 91% alcohol. Thanks again for the tip!!

DAlex 09-05-2013 12:21 AM

I had the leather visors on my 997. When I ordered the 991 (arriving next week) I did not see that option. Has anybody found them available anywhere? It seems a shame to have plastic visors with the full leather interior. I appreciate any help.

Dean Kewley 12-03-2013 06:28 AM

Hi,

I have tried rubbing them with 91% alcohol but they don't want to come off. How wet do i need to get the stickers on the visor for them to come off?

LexVan 12-03-2013 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Kewley (Post 10948649)
Hi,

I have tried rubbing them with 91% alcohol but they don't want to come off. How wet do i need to get the stickers on the visor for them to come off?

You need a little more dwell time.

Lodi 10-05-2014 11:25 AM

deleted....

hinckley 10-05-2014 02:29 PM

The leather visor option is now on the US configurator and available to order beginning Nov 1.

intruder224 10-05-2014 08:42 PM

I tried this on my wife's car (it was not leather) to see if it works prior to the arrival of my 2015 Targa 4S in Dec.
I used regular pharmacy rubbing alcohol (label said 70%), soaked a small microfiber cloth with the alcohol and held it onto the label for about 2 minutes. After that I started to slowly rub the label with slight pressure. The label started to de-adhere around the edges so then I started pulling it off.
It left no residue and I could not even tell the label had been there.
Thanks for the great tip!!

ntravaglino 01-24-2015 06:34 PM

Thanks for the 'How-To'. I finally built up enough courage to try removing them after 5 months of ownership, and am kicking myself for not doing it earlier.

This was incredibly easy to do, you don't have to remove the visors as long as you're careful, and the Q-Tip with 91% alcohol at the separation point made clean removal a cinch. Thanks!

STG 01-24-2015 07:13 PM

I did a step by step with pics a while back. For what it's worth!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4186919

cdelrosario 01-25-2015 07:04 PM

Great little thread guys...

Thanks for the photos STG991...Followed them & rest is a clean visor!...Very Helpful & right on point!

DaveGee 01-26-2015 05:36 PM

Same here. Did mine yesterday. Followed the instructions - no issues.

Thanks for the tips!!

DaveGee

MKW 01-27-2015 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by nfldcoffee (Post 9599961)
Why take a chance and damage your sunvisor with chemicals trying to remove airbag warning labels, buy the cover-ups .

if you have a black or dark interior , covers are 18 bucks for the set of four on fleabay and are matte black self adhesive vinyl , super thin profile and look factory ....no issues at resale time either, since you can peel them off , if that even becomes a concern ...they arrive via post office in a few days from the Great White North

throwinbombs.com 02-08-2015 10:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rijowysock (Post 9599741)
Items Needed:

91% isopropyl alcohol (must be 91%)
Microfiber cloth or similar
Patience

1: Take the cloth, soak with 91% and rub sticker back and forth (not rubbing sticker off but just soaking it with 91%, reapply new alcohol to the pad and keep rubbing (alcohol will evaporate and not be as strong)

2: After maybe 1-2 minutes you should be able to peel off the sticker in one swipe..

3: If it comes off in pieces, it will leave residue behind, to remove residue soak with 91% again and after 30 seconds of soaking then rub the cloth harder against surface to remove, but not hard enough to stretch the "pleather".

4: Now you dont have those tacky visor stickers anymore!

Thanks rijowysock.

I removed mine a few days ago after reading your thread. I used Methanol that's all I had at my shop. It worked and it came off thanks.

I do have a dark rectangle patch where the sticker was though. I have a 2007
911 Turbo and I think the visor is pleather. I am guessing leather re-conditioner will not match this?

In the meantime I made some stickers to cover the mess.
rennlisters, should I keep the stickers on, try to get the pleather to match with some kind of chemicals or buy the slip over sleeves?

Please ignore the messy garage in the background.

Thanks for your input in advance!

Tangerine 01-17-2016 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by STG991 (Post 11983144)
I did a step by step with pics a while back. For what it's worth!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4186919

For what it's worth I did this following the steps exactly on a brand new car (probably built just one month prior) and had no sticky residue. Pulled the stickers up veeeeery slowly, they came of as single pieces with nothing left behind.

The faintest outline of where they were was visible, so I hit it with the 303 and currently can't see anything. We'll see after a few days in different lighting if it's gone for good.

I had 99% alcohol and diluted with water to around 91%. Who knows, 99% might have been fine, but when you have steps that are known to work I see no reason to deviate. :)

OMFS 01-17-2016 10:07 AM

Anyone have the nuts to try this on an alcantara visor?