Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/701069-diy-visor-warning-stickers-removal.html)

rijowysock 06-09-2012 08:50 PM

DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal

Items Needed:

91% isopropyl alcohol (must be 91%)
Microfiber cloth or similar
Patience

1: Take the cloth, soak with 91% and rub sticker back and forth (not rubbing sticker off but just soaking it with 91%, reapply new alcohol to the pad and keep rubbing (alcohol will evaporate and not be as strong)

2: After maybe 1-2 minutes you should be able to peel off the sticker in one swipe..

3: If it comes off in pieces, it will leave residue behind, to remove residue soak with 91% again and after 30 seconds of soaking then rub the cloth harder against surface to remove, but not hard enough to stretch the "pleather".

4: Now you dont have those tacky visor stickers anymore!

Horrible Cell pic:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...k/photo-13.jpg

97c2s993 06-09-2012 10:41 PM

Awesome tip, thanks! No damage or residue whatsoever to the visors?

TSpyder 06-09-2012 10:54 PM

I've been waiting 21 yrs for this info so that I can remove the damn stickers on my 21 yo NSX:cheers:

Z356 06-09-2012 10:59 PM

I have factory leather visors in Carrera Red on my Spyder. As much as I would like to remove the nanny sticker, I am worried about damaging the leather with something like 91% isopropyl alcohol. Has anyone had a good experience removing the warning label from a leather visor and what have they used?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

nfldcoffee 06-09-2012 11:00 PM

Or you can buy cover-up decals on ebay Item number: 130707606483 from boxsterbob1999

nfldcoffee 06-09-2012 11:09 PM

Why take a chance and damage your sunvisor with chemicals trying to remove airbag warning labels, buy the cover-ups .

kosmo 06-10-2012 12:18 AM

hmm i think thats illegal!!!! :)

il cattivo 06-10-2012 12:40 AM

Thanks rijowysock, this looks like it works great on the standard visors. I had the leather visors in my last Porsche and always wanted to take them off but was afraid I'd damage them and never tried. The Porsche.com configurator doesn't even show leather visors as an available option on the 991. If the leather visor option got killed off I will definitely do this removal on my next car.

rijowysock 06-10-2012 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by 97c2s993 (Post 9599917)
Awesome tip, thanks! No damage or residue whatsoever to the visors?

nothing at all, breaks the bond and comes off in one piece.. i had residue on one side cause sticker tore but it came off in 5 mins.. the 91% doesnt remove anything off the visor... does not affect the pleather as long as your not rough w/ it (i wouldnt scrub, i just keep it wet and then wait for glue bond to come off.

rijowysock 06-10-2012 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 9599946)
I have factory leather visors in Carrera Red on my Spyder. As much as I would like to remove the nanny sticker, I am worried about damaging the leather with something like 91% isopropyl alcohol. Has anyone had a good experience removing the warning label from a leather visor and what have they used?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

should not remove the finish, but stronger would... why not test it like on the front of the seat underneath where wraps around... just rub with a white cloth for 2 minutes and keep checking for red... no red=no problem.

rijowysock 06-10-2012 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by nfldcoffee (Post 9599961)
Why take a chance and damage your sunvisor with chemicals trying to remove airbag warning labels, buy the cover-ups .

i like them gone to be clean looking, not to cover up.. right now mine is all uniform... thats the way i like it.. not covered up.

the "airbag light" however, electrical tape all the way because it's annoying and too bright at night.

Edgy01 06-10-2012 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 9599946)

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

I cleaned those off my natural leather visors several years ago (997). The materials are essentially the same.

Just take your time and use something like brake cleaner to break down the solvents in the stickers. Just take your time and apply in small amounts. Treat the area later with a good leather conditioner.

rijowysock 06-11-2012 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Edgy01 (Post 9601938)
I cleaned those off my natural leather visors several years ago (997). The materials are essentially the same.

Just take your time and use something like brake cleaner to break down the solvents in the stickers. Just take your time and apply in small amounts. Treat the area later with a good leather conditioner.

brake cleaner!!!!??? brake cleaner takes off paint in 2 seconds!

stick with the alcohol, it wont hurt anything and just condition after.

Mike in CA 06-11-2012 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by rijowysock (Post 9599741)
Items Needed:

Patience

1: Take the cloth, soak with 91% and rub sticker back and forth (not rubbing sticker off but just soaking it with 91%, reapply new alcohol to the pad and keep rubbing (alcohol will evaporate and not be as strong)

2: After maybe 1-2 minutes you should be able to peel off the sticker in one swipe..

3: If it comes off in pieces, it will leave residue behind, to remove residue soak with 91% again and after 30 seconds of soaking then rub the cloth harder against surface to remove, but not hard enough to stretch the "pleather".

Great info. I used the exact process Riley describes on both my previous '99 996 and my '09 997 to remove the stickers. Two additional tips: You can use a Que tip dipped in alcohol to "paint" the contact line where the sticker meets the visor as you peel it off, which eases the process. Also, be sure not to get alcohol on the hinges for the flip down mirror if you decide to do that side as it can dissolve the glue which holds them in place.

jmm 06-11-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by rijowysock (Post 9602073)
brake cleaner!!!!??? brake cleaner takes off paint in 2 seconds!

stick with the alcohol, it wont hurt anything and just condition after.

He said brake cleaner, not brake fluid.

HotLap 06-14-2012 04:47 PM

Great tip rijo, I've always taken these off my past vehicles as I don't want bright yellow stickers (half of the sticker in a forign language no less) that the vehicle manufacturer has to install to avoid product liability lawsuits!! Ugly and always reminds me of how litigious our society has become (never MY fault)!!

I had always just used heat to soften the glue and remove the sticker. Heat doesn't always work well though as it can leave a light glue residue...still better than bright yellow stickers though. I had a heck of a time getting the sticker off the plastic visor mirror covers of my 997.2. Had to use acetone then buff the area to remove the residue.

Question, my 991 visors are leather, will the 91% alcohol damage the leather finish...anyone with leather remove their stickers yet?

UPDATE: Removed the stickers successfully last night and no damage to the visors. I have the full leather interior and had incorrectly assumed the visors were leather but they are vinyl and no damage from the 91% alcohol. Thanks again for the tip!!

DAlex 09-05-2013 12:21 AM

I had the leather visors on my 997. When I ordered the 991 (arriving next week) I did not see that option. Has anybody found them available anywhere? It seems a shame to have plastic visors with the full leather interior. I appreciate any help.

Dean Kewley 12-03-2013 06:28 AM

Hi,

I have tried rubbing them with 91% alcohol but they don't want to come off. How wet do i need to get the stickers on the visor for them to come off?

LexVan 12-03-2013 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Kewley (Post 10948649)
Hi,

I have tried rubbing them with 91% alcohol but they don't want to come off. How wet do i need to get the stickers on the visor for them to come off?

You need a little more dwell time.

Lodi 10-05-2014 11:25 AM

deleted....

hinckley 10-05-2014 02:29 PM

The leather visor option is now on the US configurator and available to order beginning Nov 1.

intruder224 10-05-2014 08:42 PM

I tried this on my wife's car (it was not leather) to see if it works prior to the arrival of my 2015 Targa 4S in Dec.
I used regular pharmacy rubbing alcohol (label said 70%), soaked a small microfiber cloth with the alcohol and held it onto the label for about 2 minutes. After that I started to slowly rub the label with slight pressure. The label started to de-adhere around the edges so then I started pulling it off.
It left no residue and I could not even tell the label had been there.
Thanks for the great tip!!

ntravaglino 01-24-2015 06:34 PM

Thanks for the 'How-To'. I finally built up enough courage to try removing them after 5 months of ownership, and am kicking myself for not doing it earlier.

This was incredibly easy to do, you don't have to remove the visors as long as you're careful, and the Q-Tip with 91% alcohol at the separation point made clean removal a cinch. Thanks!

STG 01-24-2015 07:13 PM

I did a step by step with pics a while back. For what it's worth!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4186919

cdelrosario 01-25-2015 07:04 PM

Great little thread guys...

Thanks for the photos STG991...Followed them & rest is a clean visor!...Very Helpful & right on point!

DaveGee 01-26-2015 05:36 PM

Same here. Did mine yesterday. Followed the instructions - no issues.

Thanks for the tips!!

DaveGee

MKW 01-27-2015 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by nfldcoffee (Post 9599961)

if you have a black or dark interior , covers are 18 bucks for the set of four on fleabay and are matte black self adhesive vinyl , super thin profile and look factory ....no issues at resale time either, since you can peel them off , if that even becomes a concern ...they arrive via post office in a few days from the Great White North

throwinbombs.com 02-08-2015 10:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Items Needed:

Patience

Thanks rijowysock.

I removed mine a few days ago after reading your thread. I used Methanol that's all I had at my shop. It worked and it came off thanks.

I do have a dark rectangle patch where the sticker was though. I have a 2007
911 Turbo and I think the visor is pleather. I am guessing leather re-conditioner will not match this?

In the meantime I made some stickers to cover the mess.
rennlisters, should I keep the stickers on, try to get the pleather to match with some kind of chemicals or buy the slip over sleeves?

Please ignore the messy garage in the background.

Thanks for your input in advance!

Tangerine 01-17-2016 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by STG991 (Post 11983144)
I did a step by step with pics a while back. For what it's worth!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4186919

For what it's worth I did this following the steps exactly on a brand new car (probably built just one month prior) and had no sticky residue. Pulled the stickers up veeeeery slowly, they came of as single pieces with nothing left behind.

The faintest outline of where they were was visible, so I hit it with the 303 and currently can't see anything. We'll see after a few days in different lighting if it's gone for good.

I had 99% alcohol and diluted with water to around 91%. Who knows, 99% might have been fine, but when you have steps that are known to work I see no reason to deviate. :)

OMFS 01-17-2016 10:07 AM

Anyone have the nuts to try this on an alcantara visor?

OMFS 01-17-2016 10:14 AM

I should have just looked a bit harder on Reenlist. It has been done:
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9033...l-removal.html

STG 01-17-2016 10:32 AM

FYI: Suncoast and Sunset can order Euro version visors without any stickers on them. The lawyer lobby seems not as sue hungry there.

I like the Alcantara ones (stickerless) and got those already. Have not installed yet. I had the plastic ones and wanted a more upgraded look.

OMFS 01-17-2016 12:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It was just as easy as described.

holgum 01-17-2016 12:11 PM

Alcohol method worked for me too. Although if you look very closely you can just make out outline where it used to be. I assume it will all blend over time, but if not it doesn't bother me.
I wonder if it would be noticeable at all if done right after delivery (mine had nearly 2 years on it when I did it).

OMFS 01-17-2016 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by holgum (Post 12934063)
Alcohol method worked for me too. Although if you look very closely you can just make out outline where it used to be. I assume it will all blend over time, but if not it doesn't bother me.
I wonder if it would be noticeable at all if done right after delivery (mine had nearly 2 years on it when I did it).

I took delivery a few weeks ago. Very faint line but I got it off with a little rubbing.

slave2miles 01-17-2016 08:58 PM

Just did mine today as well. Did it on all 3 cars! The 16 X5 took forever but the 911 was smooth as glass easy! :rockon:

Kansas911 06-08-2016 12:21 PM

Just wanted to say I completed this procedure today with leather sun visors on my GT4 and worked like a charm with no issues! Thank you to all for the great insights.

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas981 (Post 13356693)
Just wanted to say I completed this procedure today with leather sun visors on my GT4 and worked like a charm with no issues! Thank you to all for the great insights.

That's great to hear! I just got my 991.2 a month ago and I have leather on my visors but was worried. I have the 91% rubbing alcohol. I'm assuming you left your visors on and used the soaked towel method?

Kansas911 06-08-2016 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS (Post 13357115)
That's great to hear! I just got my 991.2 a month ago and I have leather on my visors but was worried. I have the 91% rubbing alcohol. I'm assuming you left your visors on and used the soaked towel method?

Correct. One of my visors was unbelievably easy. The other took more time. I'm not sure what I did differently between the two, but you need patience :-)

I folded up a paper towel to match a little larger dimensions to the label, then soaked in 91%, rotated the visor so that the label was facing up, placed the paper towel on the visor and wrapped with a grocery bag and sealed. I let it sit for 20 minutes. Definitely start at edge and move towards inside.

Second one was quite a bit more work, but I think it was because I was not patient and didn't start with edges. I then used leather cleaner afterwards and they look great. There might be a small amount of residue, but better than a big label :-)

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas981 (Post 13357133)
Correct. One of my visors was unbelievably easy. The other took more time. I'm not sure what I did differently between the two, but you need patience :-)

I folded up a paper towel to match a little larger dimensions to the label, then soaked in 91%, rotated the visor so that the label was facing up, placed the paper towel on the visor and wrapped with a grocery bag and sealed. I let it sit for 20 minutes. Definitely start at edge and move towards inside.

Second one was quite a bit more work, but I think it was because I was not patient and didn't start with edges. I then used leather cleaner afterwards and they look great. There might be a small amount of residue, but better than a big label :-)

Sounds good. I'll do that today! Nice stable you got there btw :)

cajerseyboy 06-08-2016 03:29 PM

Be careful not to leave the alcohol on for an extended period. It has the potential to soak in and effect the adhesive that attaches the leather/pleather to core of visor. I did this on my right visor. It took a few days to get back to normal.

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by NA430GTS (Post 13357329)
Be careful not to leave the alcohol on for an extended period. It has the potential to soak in and effect the adhesive that attaches the leather/pleather to core of visor. I did this on my right visor. It took a few days to get back to normal.

I just placed a soaked paper towel on and will wait 20 minutes. We'll see how the leather turns out.

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FAIL FAIL FAIL!

As you can see in the top right corner, some of the leather came off. I soaked it a good amount and let it sit 20-23 minutes. Using my fingernail only to scrape of the decal. I'm having a hard time getting the rest of it off. Looks like I'm ordering another set of leather visors :banghead:

Kansas911 06-08-2016 05:33 PM

Thank sucks!!!!! I wonder what might be the cause of it working for others but not for you. Mine came right off. Sorry to hear.

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas981 (Post 13357732)
Thank sucks!!!!! I wonder what might be the cause of it working for others but not for you. Mine came right off. Sorry to hear.

No worries. I can get a new set from Suncoast for $1,200. I'll just leave the decals on though. LOL. I will try and take these off and see if I can salvage them first. More than likely not but will try. You know how picky us Porsche guys are. Hopefully they aren't too hard to remove off the car.

Heck, I might just go with Alcantara instead

Kansas911 06-08-2016 05:38 PM

good luck!

STG 06-08-2016 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS
No worries. I can get a new set from Suncoast for $1,200. I'll just leave the decals on though. LOL. I will try and take these off and see if I can salvage them first. More than likely not but will try. You know how picky us Porsche guys are. Hopefully they aren't too hard to remove off the car.

I bought Euro version OEM Alcantara ones WITHOUT the stickers on them. I'm sure the same can be done with leather. The Alcantara blend into the headliner nicely. The leather ones might as well be vinyl from the view from your seat.

LexVan 06-08-2016 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 13357914)
I'm sure the same can be done with leather.

Correct. No stickers.

77tony 06-08-2016 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS (Post 13357725)
FAIL FAIL FAIL!

As you can see in the top right corner, some of the leather came off. I soaked it a good amount and let it sit 20-23 minutes. Using my fingernail only to scrape of the decal. I'm having a hard time getting the rest of it off. Looks like I'm ordering another set of leather visors :banghead:

Please PM me a price on those used units. TIA 77tony

paul29 06-08-2016 08:09 PM

Ispro alcohol and bag worked great on a 2013 911 T, visor sticker peeled off completely both sides. Great, now the 2015 Cayenne used same routine and the visor sticker is not loosened at all. Any body had success removing those butt ugly visor stickers on a Cayenne?

Noah Fect 06-08-2016 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS (Post 13357742)

Can't hurt to take them to an upholstery shop and see what they say. You may end up with the nicest visors around, with real hand-stitched leather, for only a couple hundred bucks.

A high-end shoe repair place (they exist) may also be worth checking with.

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 13357914)
I bought Euro version OEM Alcantara ones WITHOUT the stickers on them. I'm sure the same can be done with leather. The Alcantara blend into the headliner nicely. The leather ones might as well be vinyl from the view from your seat.

Sounds like an idea. where did you buy them from? I'm thinking Alcantara too since as you say they blend in.

77tony 06-08-2016 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS (Post 13358340)
Sounds like an idea. where did you buy them from? I'm thinking Alcantara too since as you say they blend in.

PM: "drcollie" He is a leather expert and would think he has a solution for you. T

STG 06-08-2016 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS

You can't even tell they're there! No dumb glare off them too. Even the black leather/vinyl have a shine/glare. Alcantara is a winner!

Sunset Porsche Parts in Oregon

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...174f2aee3.jpeg

07CarreraS 06-08-2016 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 13358361)
You can't even tell they're there! No dumb glare off them too. Even the black leather/vinyl have a shine/glare. Alcantara is a winner!

Sunset Porsche Parts in Oregon

Thanks! I'll check them out. Going to figure out how to take my visors off to get a closer look. I did a search on this site but the best I could find was a 'how to' on a 997 which have different plastic tabs

Penn4S 06-08-2016 10:27 PM

Is that $1300 for 2 visors? Only such a deal could come from Porsche. I hope it improves performance as its more than the Cobb AP tune.

I did the alcohol treatment. Worked perfectly with no residue. Just need to be patient with the dwell time and properly soak.

STG 06-08-2016 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Is that $1300 for 2 visors?

Yes. Not cheap :eek:

Oh yeah, saves weight and aerodynamic. Totally feel the low end torque increase. Alcantara visors a win! :thumbup:

cajerseyboy 06-08-2016 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by STG

Oh yeah, saves weight and aerodynamic. Totally feel the low end torque increase. Alcantara visors a win! :thumbup:

Not to mention the HP gains. Certified by the seller, of course. :banghead:

Penn4S 06-09-2016 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 13358511)

My wife already thinks I have lost brain matter over this car. She would have me committed if I spent $1300 on visors, justifiably.
Carry on men, I'll use the $'s for something else silly on the car.

DannieK 06-09-2016 04:34 AM

I sell antique toys with their original boxes. Frequently, over the years, stickers have been applied to the box. For leather (only) I'd recommend Goo-Gone (orange oil base) followed by leather cleaner, then buff.

The other option is lighter fluid but try it on a hidden spot first. I've used it to remove stickers from 60 year old leather cap gun holsters and it worked great. Alcohol will work but could leave an outline especially noticeable with brighter, light colors. Lighter fluid evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. I apply it just at the spot where the sticker is being lifted. Do it slowly. You have to be patient. Recently, it worked great with a Roy Rogers double holster set!

Over the last 20 years I've tried everything from a hair dryer to vodka (clear with high alcohol). Lighter fluid has always worked the best, but TEST it first.

Also, I've never tried it on my own car because the stickers don't bother me. So I don't have first hand knowledge, but now that it's been discussed I'll probably try it.

Archimedes 06-09-2016 01:25 PM

Did this on all three cars last night. Easy peasy once I realized that the trick is to soak the rag and hold it against the entire sticker for a minute or so. Then it peels off in one sheet. The first one I just rubbed on the alcohol and it came off in pieces.

Por356c 06-22-2016 08:22 PM

I am a new 02 Boxster owner and I immediately wanted to remove those obnoxious air bag stickers off of my visors. I have a triple black Boxster and those yellowish stickers stuck out like a neon light. Thanks to this forum I went with isopropyl alcohol and in about 10 minutes I had one sticker removed. Easy peasy. No damage to the vinyl. Just keep resoaking your rag and keep rubbing the IA on the sticker gently and pretty soon they begin to dissolve. Clean up with a typical cleaner (401 or Fantastic) and then apply 303 or Armor-All and you'll love it.

David Preston
Michigan

carrerafanboy 06-27-2016 01:35 PM

Thanks all for the great info regarding sticker removal!

I removed mine a few days ago from a 2013 C4S with vinyl sun visors, and took a few pictures of the process. I had great luck with the driver's side visor (no leftover residue and the vinyl beneath wasn't too faded), and good luck with the passenger side visor (some leftover residue which I'll try to get off soon).

I soaked a fresh microfiber cloth in 99% isopropyl alcohol, folded it over itself to make the footprint roughly the same size as the sticker, placed it on top of the visor, and bagged with a supermarket vegetable bag (perfect size!). Set a 5 minute timer to re-check that the towel was still moist, and then at 10 minutes I removed it and began to peel.

Take your time peeling! I can't stress that enough. I was able to get both off in one go by peeling very slowly. Once you get a corner up, slowly lift up the vertical side of the sticker, and once you've done that proceed to lift the entire thing. Let the sticker come off naturally with with very light pressure and it shouldn't tear. The sticker itself is very thin plastic, and is likely to tear if you force it to go any faster than it wants to.

I scrubbed off the remaining residue with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth, and then finished with a light coat of 3M 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Pictures:

https://i.imgur.com/VOrRNL1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VWXB3mp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7cMSPG9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UN637g6.jpg

Chris C. 06-27-2016 07:25 PM

I just did this procedure today with great results! You only need soak for 2-3 mins BTW, then peel off the label and follow-up with another rub down for any glue and "polish" the surface with microfiber. I used saran wrap on while it soaked. 5 min job per side total. Couldn't be happier!

RobC4sX51 06-28-2016 12:20 AM

Did my 991 as well, no issue. Started to do my wife's CD, and after 3-4 minutes of alcohol pressed onto the visor, not one hint of it coming off. Try it another day as I had 3 other car projects on my car to do. Looks so much better now! Thanks for posting the details!

Porsche_nuts 06-28-2016 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did mine too, but all of a sudden, the visors looked kinda naked. So, I decided to dress them up a little.

STG 06-28-2016 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts (Post 13409594)
Did mine too, but all of a sudden, the visors looked kinda naked. So, I decided to dress them up a little.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3220a61b1.jpeg
Keep us posted on the DIY removal.

Porsche_nuts 06-28-2016 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 13409605)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3220a61b1.jpeg
Keep us posted on the DIY removal.

Funny. Will keep the community posted. :D

oolor13 08-09-2016 05:55 PM

Just removed the stickers on my vinyl visors. Super easy, great tips here.

Bemo 08-09-2016 08:00 PM

I'm keeping mine because I don't have enough yellow!

shake1 09-01-2017 11:02 PM

I'm trying to determine if the visors in my car are vinyl or leather. I have the "Natural Leather Interior in Espresso/Cognac." I'm assuming my visors are Vinyl unless explicitly stated as an option on the build sheet (which I don't have listed)?

Want to make sure I use the correct process for my visors without screwing anything up.

9ELOVIN 09-03-2017 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by shake1 (Post 14450967)
I'm trying to determine if the visors in my car are vinyl or leather. I have the "Natural Leather Interior in Espresso/Cognac." I'm assuming my visors are Vinyl unless explicitly stated as an option on the build sheet (which I don't have listed)?

Want to make sure I use the correct process for my visors without screwing anything up.

Unless you ordered leather visors, your visors are likely vinyl. The alcohol that is advocated for use will damage leather visors. I just did mine and I have leather visors. I used the product called Goof Off. It works almost instantly and does not damage the letter.

porschemeister 09-03-2017 03:51 AM

how about alcantara sunvisors? Use goof off instead of alcohol?

9ELOVIN 09-03-2017 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by porschemeister (Post 14452841)
how about alcantara sunvisors? Use goof off instead of alcohol?

I would though I have never actually done it. Therefore, I suggest that you start with a very small corner and see how the Goof Off reacts. I've never seen Goof Off damage anything so I believe you'll be fine.

Al.Fresco 09-03-2017 12:03 PM

There is always this option....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Sun-...7/322700836213

woodbine 09-11-2017 09:16 AM

Done. Great diy. Thanks all

NVRANUF 09-11-2017 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts (Post 13409594)

Except the script is upside down when visors are deployed....:icon107:

wes66vette 09-11-2017 12:30 PM

Has anyone done this on a MY18? I swear mine looks painted on...and I don't want to mess it up and not be able to pull the script off.

9ELOVIN 09-11-2017 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by wes66vette (Post 14468316)
Has anyone done this on a MY18? I swear mine looks painted on...and I don't want to mess it up and not be able to pull the script off.

I have using Goof Off and my visors are leather. See my posts, above and here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1013...ts-coup-4.html

wes66vette 09-22-2017 06:13 PM

Okay...I did mine on my P car...was done in about 30 minutes, no muss, no fuss...My wife saw it and thought it would be great if I did the same to her Mini JCW...I have been f'ing with these things for hours...just have the corners off...even brought out the steam cleaner. I am stumped...I guess I am springing for a new set of visors for her.

Needsdecaf 09-22-2017 06:18 PM

Isopropyl Alcohol worked great on mine!

drwex 09-23-2017 07:54 PM

2017 C2

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b67ac87243.jpg

Thank you all for this thread to give me the courage to use the 91% alcohol method with nice results. The Q tip really helped peel the sticker off. I finished up with a soft detail brush and alcohol to get the last bit of glue off then a vinyl restorer. Looks great.

bwiele 09-24-2017 10:35 PM

I did this on my Alcantara visors today. 91% alcohol on a paper towel that was about 1/2" longer and wider than the actual decal. Three minutes of dwell time seemed to be the right amount for the sticker to come off in one piece. The first one I waited only 2 minutes and it came off in bits and pieces. There is a very minor trace of the outline of the decal which changes the nap of the Alcantara when the sticker peeled off, but if I didn't point it out specifically to someone it would absolutely go unnoticed. I think pretty soon I'll even stop noticing. An excellent, very low cost upgrade. Thanks to all!

promocop 09-26-2018 03:03 PM

This trick does not work with my 2018 Macan. Must have changed the chemical they use to attach!

adcampo 12-19-2018 09:08 PM

I have a 2012.5 991 and the warnings seem more like printed on than stickers. Theres no edge. Am I missing something?

LexVan 12-19-2018 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by adcampo
I have a 2012.5 991 and the warnings seem more like printed on than stickers. Theres no edge. Am I missing something?

No. And they still easily come off.

DOG ON 12-19-2018 10:43 PM

I did this to the stickers of my '13 991's (vinyl?) visors and they came off fine for the most part, but I still can't seem to get the last layer of glue off. Still, the slightly shinier rectangle is better than the blaring white and yellow sticker. I chalked it up to the glue being older and more set on my car than the visors on people's '17 and '18 models.

I only used 70% alcohol. May try again after picking up some 91%.

stevenvillatoro 03-12-2019 02:04 PM

Yesterday I de-stickered the standard vinyl visors on my ‘19 T. What a relief not to have those blotches in constant unavoidable view. Easy peasy – my eyes don’t hurt anymore!

I saturated the visor face with 91% alcohol using a small rag, and then tightly sealed up the wet visor using kitchen plastic wrap to retain the alcohol. After six minutes, I carefully used a fingernail to peel one corner of the sticker, and then pulled it back slowly with a very light and steady tension. After removal, I cleaned the residue 3X using a rough terry towel using: (1) more alcohol, then (2) Mr. Detail by RejeX, and finally (3) a miniscule dab of almond butter. Surprisingly, the almond butter was by far the most effective of the three cleanup products, leaving the visors with ZERO residual sticker ghosting in ALL lighting conditions. Now they look like nature intended, hehe. Total project time: 20 minutes. Based on my past experience, the biggest sticker removal mistake is over-soaking (time-wise) the stickers, making them too fragile to remove.

See image below the following post.

Aatish 03-12-2019 02:48 PM

This thread really needs to be made a sticky.

Saved my marriage.

stevenvillatoro 03-12-2019 04:03 PM

Chris - 97C2 03-12-2019 06:38 PM

Thanks for posting, Steve, I was planning on doing this last weekend, but got distracted. This weekend for sure!

Bob Z. 03-12-2019 06:41 PM

I took mine off using the same method but did not use Almond Butter at the end, and I have some ghosting but not really that noticeable; however, I wonder if something else could be used with the same result?

LexVan 03-12-2019 06:48 PM

Nice work, Steve, and very nice Alcantara headliner.

JW911 03-12-2019 08:38 PM

This is a must do mod. Almond butter probably smells nice. If you wipe it well with the alcohol it will get that last bit of glue off. Follow up with 303 protectant in lieu of almond butter.

Bob Z. 03-12-2019 08:44 PM

I did try 303 as well but I could still see where they were; however, I am not complaining since not having those distracting labels is fantastic.

stevenvillatoro 03-13-2019 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 15699316)
I took mine off using the same method but did not use Almond Butter at the end, and I have some ghosting but not really that noticeable; however, I wonder if something else could be used with the same result?

yes, peanut butter works just as well. Plain or crunchy. :thumbup:

ZzzTime 08-01-2019 05:00 AM

Visor warning label residue optional solution.

I purchased a '98 986 in May and found the back side of the visors to have the airbag warning labels cracking and peeling. The stickers came off in pieces, leaving an adhesive residue. I tried using isopropyl alcohol, Goo Gone, Magic Eraser, etc. but the residue seemed embedded in the textured vinyl. A friend and Porsche enthusiast had told me about a leather refinisher (found it on Amazon along with a pre-treatment cleaner) for a slightly warn area on the edge of the driver's seat. The leather boot on the manual shift also had areas of wear. The refinisher worked awesome here, so I thought why not try it on the visors. I used a blue shop paper towel to add a "textured" look to the visor, this step is probably not necessary however. It just ended up removing some of the refinisher, requiring a second coat. Hope this helps someone. Good luck!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9d48f7fa43.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1dd8fd9401.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e118fb4cb3.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ac8bce4937.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5bcd5d05a8.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...acaf95642b.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7017e487dd.jpg

Cyberbug 08-02-2019 12:58 PM

I also did a DIY, came out perfect like 100% perfect.

I had ordered Leather visors from factory in hopes that the sticker will come out easily. I wasn't happy with the initial DIY results on one side. So I did further DIY

I ordered a new set in alcantara to match the headliner from porsche without the stickers, which you can.

DIY done, of course it included me installing them.

BOPE 09-26-2019 01:41 PM

Well, after thinking about it for three months I finally got around to removing the airbag stickers from my 991.2 visors.

I checked our supply of Isopropyl alcohol and found it to be 50% water, so I used denatured alcohol that I had on hand instead.

The stickers came off in pieces, but the end result looks great! I finished the process with a light wipe of Armor All and you cannot tell that there were ever any stickers on the visors!

Jason

SeeForce 09-26-2019 02:50 PM

May I borrow your sticker removal kit?

Items Needed:

Patience

Horrible Cell pic:
https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k...k/photo-13.jpg

Bob Z. 09-26-2019 04:03 PM

Several of us have taken a paper towel soaked with 91% and laid it upon the label - you can swing out the visors so they are flat. After 5-10 minutes just remove the paper towel and slowly peel away the label; clean up any residue to Goo-Gone and use 303 Protectant or similar at the end.

myrr 12-16-2019 03:08 PM

I removed mine as well using this method - but in the meantime had already ordered leather, which looks identical ha but smells nice :) anyways... if anyone is in need of an OEM vinyl set shoot me a PM, there's just a bit of residue left.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...108d4a50fe.jpg

patentguy 02-13-2021 03:19 PM

I just did the label removal on my new 992. The alcohol on the paper towel, wrapped in a plastic bag for 20 minutes worked great, Just use a Q-tip dipped in alcohol to get the edges on one end detached enough to grab and pull with your fingers. Just pull very slowly with two hands and it comes off neatly in one piece. Then put the alcohol soaked towel on the residue for another ten minutes. Rub off the residue with a rough scrubbing sponge. Use the 303 to finish it off. Looks fantastic.

Thanks for the tips.

alex_c 02-14-2021 10:53 PM

I also wanted to remove the airbag stickers, but I took the lazy route... bought a set of leather visors with the red deviated stitching to match my interior ;)

The warning label is only shown on the mirror cover on the passenger side, so I stayed legally compliant.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...74e8bdb0fe.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7cc74d5ae9.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7ccb3207d4.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6ea153a7e3.jpg

mjposner 02-15-2021 08:14 AM

I took mine off and painted them black with black vinyl paint, would have posted a pic but I left it in my camera.

Jerry991 02-15-2021 04:20 PM

I tried getting them off my leather visors but only worked on one - the other one did not come out good so I had to have it refinished.

FYI: Alcantara sun visors only come in black from the factory - my car came with the brown alcantara headliner so the black didn't match - wound up buying espresso brown leather instead to match leather and those are the ones I tried to get the labels off.

bb964 02-16-2021 01:38 AM

Mine would not come off with all the posted methods and alcohol %'s so I bought these cover up vinyl stickers - took just few minutes to apply and the visors look great - forgot the warnings were ever there..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Sun...0/223587076080

Gary JR 02-16-2021 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 16130597)
Several of us have taken a paper towel soaked with 91% and laid it upon the label - you can swing out the visors so they are flat. After 5-10 minutes just remove the paper towel and slowly peel away the label; clean up any residue to Goo-Gone and use 303 Protectant or similar at the end.

That worked for me but I just bought two new BMWs - X3 M and M5 and noticed they are not stickers but printed on the visors.

isugoo 05-02-2021 08:46 PM

I meant to comment on this thread, not the Alcantara visor thread.
Finally removed and 91% isopropyl alcohol worked great. soaking the long enough time was the key. Thanks for sharing the tips so I didn't have to remove the visor assembly.

cpbmd 05-04-2021 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=rijowysock;[url=tel:9599741]9599741]Items Needed:

Patience

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ae26a312b.jpeg
Poured a little 91% on microfiber cloth. Run back and forth for a few mins. Edges start to peel up.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fa1d287e3.jpeg
Then I paused a few times on the sticker to let the 91% alcohol get more contact time.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f2597de07.jpeg
Then was able to slowly peel off. I did not soak the visor. Make sure most of the friction is on the sticker not the visor.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3af80eedc.jpeg
Total 10 min. Per visor. Go slow. Don’t over soak the sticker.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a3d139427.jpeg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...12dcd8f30.jpeg
Sunroof open to ventilate the fumes. Very nice results. I do not have leather visors. Great thread. Thanks. CB