Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove the 991 yesterday. Ahem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012 | 06:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zizu
Wondering if a base 991 without any electonic options (PASM, PDCC, PDK etc...) would be better concerning the edginess, attitude we love about 911s... Anybody test drove one yet or any reviews in magazines? Really curious about that...
Probably, but then it's slower than 997.2... so wouldn't that be a better buy?!
Old 04-26-2012 | 06:16 PM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by frayed
You happy with the Maser? They are beautiful rigs. A friend has one in this pewter-like gray and grey wheels, like yours. It's stunning.
Absolutely happy with it. The car is always gorgeous, sounds fantastic and is just a great drivers car. It has style and charisma to spare.

Couple of months back I decided to buy a new car, preferably an exotic to replace my 07 Targa 4S. I ruled out the Astons because of child seat fitment issues. The Granturismo was difficult to fit in my garage. The 991 was a smart sensible choice and a great car so I decided to do a custom order, Aqua Blue, manual, Sport PASM, PDCC, full leather, Burmester, the works. But while negotiating a price with the salesperson, they gave the allocation to another customer and then tried to sell me a stocked PDK car. I got annoyed and decided to walk. Went back to try the Maser again and fell in love. My wife said it perfectly ... obviously I liked the Porsche, but the ten year old boy inside me wanted the flashy Italian car with the shouty exhaust and weren't we buying the car for him after all? We made some changes to the garage, worked out a deal to store the Targa and leased the Maser. No regrets.

Something else. I have always paid other people to wash my cars. When we got the Maserati, I watched some youtube videos, bought buckets and microfiber cloths, and washed the car myself. I think that says it all.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2012 | 06:27 PM
sapman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexb76
Probably, but then it's slower than 997.2... so wouldn't that be a better buy?!
Citation required.
Old 04-26-2012 | 06:36 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Beautiful car! Congratulations! Smart wife,
Old 04-26-2012 | 07:22 PM
TKO
Racer

Originally Posted by zanwar
But while negotiating a price with the salesperson, they gave the allocation to another customer and then tried to sell me a stocked PDK car. I got annoyed and decided to walk.
Good for you. I also had the experience with the salesman pushing PDK ....
Old 04-26-2012 | 07:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sapman
Citation required.
Base Carrera 991 vs. 997.2 Carrera S... u do the math!
Old 04-26-2012 | 08:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zanwar
Absolutely happy with it. The car is always gorgeous, sounds fantastic and is just a great drivers car. It has style and charisma to spare.

Couple of months back I decided to buy a new car, preferably an exotic to replace my 07 Targa 4S. I ruled out the Astons because of child seat fitment issues. The Granturismo was difficult to fit in my garage. The 991 was a smart sensible choice and a great car so I decided to do a custom order, Aqua Blue, manual, Sport PASM, PDCC, full leather, Burmester, the works. But while negotiating a price with the salesperson, they gave the allocation to another customer and then tried to sell me a stocked PDK car. I got annoyed and decided to walk. Went back to try the Maser again and fell in love. My wife said it perfectly ... obviously I liked the Porsche, but the ten year old boy inside me wanted the flashy Italian car with the shouty exhaust and weren't we buying the car for him after all? We made some changes to the garage, worked out a deal to store the Targa and leased the Maser. No regrets.

Something else. I have always paid other people to wash my cars. When we got the Maserati, I watched some youtube videos, bought buckets and microfiber cloths, and washed the car myself. I think that says it all.
GORGOUS CAR! The best GT car you can buy IMO, we went with our driving club on a road trip and one of the guys brought the Mas, and the sound of the car was simply amazing, and I loved the interior (this one was all alcantara). If I buy a GT3 at somepoint, will get this as my GT/daily!
Old 04-26-2012 | 08:16 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Default 991

It used to be that there was one 911 for street and track...........that was many MANY years ago............with enthusiasts adding their mods for increased performance/handling, etc....

What Porsche has simply done, especially in the 90's is produce a variant for each Porsche consumer segment "out of the box", ie. only for lack of better words - "Soft, Less Soft, Firm, and Rock Hard"......with their eyes on satisfying their biggest customer markets........with current and future demands from China in the forefront........

I am sure the 991 GT cars will keep Porsche to be what the enthusiasts focused on performance want out of the Porsche marque.......
Old 04-26-2012 | 10:23 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I think that's absolutely accurate, and that's why I spend far less time on forums now than I did ten years ago, and when I do, I only occasionally contribute.

That said, the 991 guys who are feeling hurt and ridiculed need to secure themselves in their decision to purchase a 991. We buy toys because we want to, not because we seek approval from faceless internet denizens with multi-thousand post counts.
That's pretty well the score of it. A person buys what they want because one they can afford it and two because they like it....and certainly not because of a minority group naysaying on an internet forum. Porsche certainly knew what they were doing when they made this car....no question about that. Porsche know those that few that don't like it dont have to buy it. The outgoing model and earlier ranges will continue to turn over indefinitely in the used marketplace for years to come. The same will happen to 991 when it is superceeded. What is being discussed here is nothing out of the ordinary. As i said previously there is always an obligatory settling in period whenever a new iteration is released where the naysayers get to exhaust themselves into submission of the new car. And then the problem reverses itself and you cant shut them up from saying how great it is.

I also agree 991 owners should not be offended by any of this negative criticism as it is a perfectly normal reaction and, to be expected. 991 owners should take a snapshot of the naysayers and look back 2 to 3 years on...

Originally Posted by alexb76
991 unfortunately is a departure from some unique elements of 911 that has been there for many years, it is softer, a lot more electronics, electrical steering, much larger, different handling dynamics, A LOT HARDER to maintain for enthusiasts (oil, brakes, filter, etc), etc... it is in general a better car, but NOT a better 911, so you gotto excuse 911 lovers of being negative towards Porsche screwing with their dreamcar!
So what you are essentially saying is, a person can't possibly be a 911 lover or, a 911 enthusiast if they don't agree the new 991 is a step backwards? C'mon. Not a better 911. A minority group's opinion is now gospel? I love my 997turbo. Absolutely brilliant car! Definitely wouldn't swap it for a 991S, but 991tt is certainly on the cards. After driving the new car the writing is clearly on the wall for the regular 997 models imho of course.

The GT3 will always present a more visceral and raw experience as it is essentially Porsches version of a more track focused car, yet it also is steadily becoming more and more compliant and hence user friendly though its engineering improvements. Note the term "engineering improvements".....i.e.not a step backwards.
Old 04-26-2012 | 10:54 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Speed21 - welcome to (I assume) a fellow Aussie.

As ADias notes above, we at Rennlist are a community, a rather long standing one at that.

I have come here for nigh on a decade because I - for want of a far better description - furtively "love" the 911, and wish to see it continue ever upwards. Proving to all and sundry that the sine qua non of driving comes from having the engine at the "wrong" end'; a flat 6 possessed of a siren's song; handling dynamics that merge you into its core; and a visage that has been elegantly honed over almost 50 years.

In my time at Rennlist we've adjudged the benefits of evolving the 996.1 to its rather better looking successor, nodded sagely as 997.1 demonstrated that indeed a 993 and 996 could copulate and enhance the genetics....and were (largely) delighted when their second offspring further moved the game on.

So when the lads at Weissach sought to evolve the 997.2 by dipping into the Panamera's genetic pool...well you can probably understand we were a tad cautious.

Not so much because we're moldy old figs who thought the best 901 was a 356 but because....well we ain't exactly sure Porsche has done it right this time (and yes i've driven a 991S).

The jury is out, and in this community is endeavouring to discern whether this 991...does really meet our definition of a 911. Hence, this at times ribald debate.

Me thinks the 991 will be embraced, but I suspect it might take a GT version (rather as it took the 996.1 GT3 to convince the air coolers that water pumping was legit in a 911) before there is a warm embrace of this newest iteration.

Welcome again!
Thanks for the welcome! I'm no newbie when it comes to Porsches either so i guess we sit in the same demographic there and although a new member here, i'm not new to internet forum discussion on Porsche cars. Anyway, sure hope i'm not raining on anyones parade here at rennlist....although discussion is fair game, depending upon which side of the fence you are on i suppose . I also agree with you that at one point the new car will be embraced and im sure the GT cars will seal that deal with those yearning the harder edged track type focused car.

Incidentally, speaking of communities it seems this particular RL discussion is now the basis for a thread at 6. Take a look and and have a giggle..

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-posts-rl.html
Old 04-26-2012 | 11:14 PM
sapman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speed21
Incidentally, speaking of communities it seems this particular RL discussion is now the basis for a thread at 6. Take a look and and have a giggle..

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-posts-rl.html
Speed, why did you have to do that!?! You're fanning the flames!
Old 04-26-2012 | 11:20 PM
ManhattanSpin
Intermediate

I don't understand this thread.
Old 04-26-2012 | 11:34 PM
speed21
Banned

Speed, why did you have to do that!?! You're fanning the flames!
Dont worry....all fires eventually burn themselves out...and the bigger they are the faster they burn.

When i was over there trying to find 930mans posts on his 991 track exploits vs the 997GT3, which i wanted to show everyone here, i came across it and just wanted to show our discussion is now someone elses entertainment. How dare they!!

By looks of it the naysayers on 6 had nearly run themselves out of steam and in a desperate bid to maintain traction have chosen others (RL) discussions to further their own argument against 991. Pathetic i know.... but you gotta hand it to them, the 991 must be burning so bad.

Btw are you sapster on 6?
Old 04-27-2012 | 12:20 AM
sapman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speed21
Dont worry....all fires eventually burn themselves out...and the bigger they are the faster they burn.

When i was over there trying to find 930mans posts on his 991 track exploits vs the 997GT3, which i wanted to show everyone here, i came across it and just wanted to show our discussion is now someone elses entertainment. How dare they!!

By looks of it the naysayers on 6 had nearly run themselves out of steam and in a desperate bid to maintain traction have chosen others (RL) discussions to further their own argument against 991. Pathetic i know.... but you gotta hand it to them, the 991 must be burning so bad.

Btw are you sapster on 6?
930man's posts would be a great addition to the current debate.

I think there's still fight left. A bit like the North Korean army. What they lack in substance they make up for in shear numbers.

That be me.
Old 04-27-2012 | 02:27 AM
speed21
Banned

930man's posts would be a great addition to the current debate.

I think there's still fight left. A bit like the North Korean army. What they lack in substance they make up for in shear numbers.

That be me.
Thought so. Hope youre being a good boy over there.

Well i thought 930mans posts held up a lot of cred for the new car given he was piching against instructor level drivers in track prepped GT3's. You can't recal the thread sap? It was a similar boxing episode as whats happening over here when 930man chimed in out of nowhere and threw a big cat in amongst the pidgeons from the sidelines. He obviously wasn't making it up. And going by his youtube in the 991 he knows how to steer. So...

And ahhh the bloody battles sap..... so meaningless over the passage of time lol. This one will prove to be no different too. All the bickering over 991 will become lustful love a few years on from now.

Quick Reply: Drove the 991 yesterday. Ahem.