Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 PSDS review

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:55 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I think many respondents not familiar with the Sport Chrono option do not realize that the "normal"
mode of the 991 is really an "ECO" mode programmed to maximize fuel mileage and avoid the gas guzzler tax. It is perfectly acceptable in normal street driving but certainly not on a race track if performance or lower lap times are wanted. The change from "Normal" to "Sport" or "Sport Plus" totally changes the character of the car. It simultaneously changes throttle response, suspension stiffness and gear change levels. Until you actually experience the placid "*****-Cat" normal change into a frenetic Tiger in Sport Plus, you cannot imagine the difference in character. It is almost like having 3 different cars. After racing a 911GT2 MT Race Car in IMSA, PCA and SCCA for many years, I find the Automatic features of the PDK (and even the much maligned Tiptronic) to result in lower lap times for most of my students and myself as well - much faster learning, permitting more attention to be paid to perfecting the other skills such as braking, acceleration, track line, traffic, passing, watching mirrors, etc.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tiptronic is not as fast as manual at anything other than 0-60, 1/4 mile.

The shifting is horrible, balance transfer when it downshifts in corner exit.from being in the wrong gear. It's terrible on track and while relieving the driver of some responsibilities, also promotes slow reactions and bad anticipation because the car reacts slow.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
My point is very simply that the 997 is capable of besting the 991 depending on drver and any given set of variables on any given day.
Your point is accurate, but just as true for most car comparisons as it is for the 991 vs 997. Just take a look at the Nurburgring on a day it is open to the public. You will see Ferrari 458s and their ilk being soundly lapped by locals in their VW Golfs.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Tiptronic is not as fast as manual at anything other than 0-60, 1/4 mile.

The shifting is horrible, balance transfer when it downshifts in corner exit.from being in the wrong gear. It's terrible on track and while relieving the driver of some responsibilities, also promotes slow reactions and bad anticipation because the car reacts slow.
I found with tip on a track it's like you are always in the wrong gear.....you change down.. find yourself too high up the rev range, you change up and you are that bit too low. It's like the ratios aren't working to your favour. Maybe PDK is better with the extra gear so the ratios are better spread....dunno. Eitherway, I'll take a third pedal and put up with whatever gets thrown..
Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just did a porsche track day at monticello raceway with the new 991/991s. Cars are fast, sound good and generally outperform their 997 counterparts. The 991s will outrun a 997gt3, no doubt. I found the ptv very unintrusive and the pdk in sport plus pretty flawless. I personally like the 6mt, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em!
Granted, it's better than a 997 in every catagory, but just a little better.
If I had a good 997 or a good deal on one, I'd hold .
c

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 06-10-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 991 PSDS review