Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

+1. Nice post.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Now Tony, let's not get too upset about the criticism. Reading back over the posts, the "derision" was directed specifically at the comment "the car was designed for the lady's". If someone did a subjective but otherwise reasonable analysis of the 997's handling and threw in the line, "the car's pendulum dynamics were left in to appeal to the troglodyte crowd" I imagine you would have some difficulty taking the rest of the write up too seriously regardless of the experience and number of posts of the poster, no? I realize the statement was intended to get a rise, and it succeeded, but no one should be surprised that some people didn't take it well, especially given the heated nature of this topic.

The troglodyte reference is not my opinion, BTW, so no grief over that please. Just an example of a similarly provocative statement in the same vein as "for the lady's".....
It was generous of you to dignify that with a reasonable response. I didn't think it merited one.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ccroger43
This is my first post on Rennlist. I am a senior citizen who turned 69 this month so go easy on me.

I also attended the Porsche Master’s Plus at Barber Motor Sports Park with MJones and want to comment on my experiences with the 991 Carrera S at this event.

I have loved Porsches since 1966 when my friend consistently beat me at autocrosses at Texas A&M’s Bryan Air Base. He drove a 356 SC. I drove a 65 Corvair Turbo Corsa. It took me many years before I was able to get my first Porsche 911 in 1996.

I have been fortunate enough to move through the 911 series models including all 911 GT3s. With each new 911, I was able to improve my lap times thanks to Porsche’s engineering work. I expected the 911 Carrera S to continue along this curve, but it didn’t. Here are my observations.

First, let’s talk about looks, which are a matter of personal preference not performance. I like the looks of the 991 a lot. I think it is an improvement over the 997 and makes that model look a bit dated when you see them side-by-side. I also like the classy, high quality new interior, and so will my wife.

Next, here is my skid pad impression. On the wet figure-8 skid pad, the 991 was a joy to drive and drift. I didn’t drive the 997 this outing for a real comparison but have enough 997 slick-surface time at Barber and Camp 4 Canada to judge the 991 to be superior in drifting.

Now, for the track comparison. At Barber, I drove a 997 Carrera S 6-speed, a Cayman R PDK, and a 991 Carrera S PDK. The 991 did not have the PDCC option. I know Barber very well so the track was not a factor in this evaluation. By the end of second day I had multiple sessions in the three cars. The cars were equipped with the Race-Keeper video and data recorder. My initial gut-level ranking without knowing the lap times of the three cars from first-to-last was:

(1) Cayman R PDK
(2) 997 Carrera S 6-speed
(3) 991 Carrera S PDK

When I looked at the Race-Keeper data on the third day, I learned that the lap time ranking was:

(1) 997 Carrera S 6-speed
(2) Cayman R PDK
(3) 991 Carrera S PDK

On the track, I never felt comfortable in the 991 for three reasons.

First, my left leg developed an immediate pain just above the knee after a few laps. I didn’t have this problem in the 997 Carrera S so I checked the door where my leg was pushed and noted that the Bose speaker in the 991 put a hard edge into my leg just above the knee. I looked at the Race-Keeper data and verified that I was driving above 1 G on some of the Barber turns that last forever. I learned that this speaker discomfort was a common occurrence and just put it out of my mind in my second session.

Second, I didn’t master the PDK. It frequently downshifted on me when I was applying power so I was distracted from my driving. I chalked this up to my lack of skill with the PDK but noticed that the instructor who drove me on a warm lap had the same issues, and he is a very good driver. Again, he was new to the 991 PDK mentioning that our lap was his fastest in the 991 so far.

Third, on the track, the 991 felt BIG to me even though it is lighter than the equivalent 997 model. The electric-assisted power steering felt fine to me despite my brain being warned as to its issues by car magazine reviews. I wish the car had had PDCC. I talked with other driver’s about their 991 sessions and found track impressions similar to mine from all that I surveyed, regardless of skill level.

So what does this all mean? I expect that when I put on a left leg pad and learn the PDK, that I will turn lap times that will beat the 997. I just expected to easily do so in my first outing because that is what my Porsche 911 history led me to expect. Missed expectations are disappointing.
Thanks for that. If only the OP had been as easy to read.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ccroger43 Great first post! +1

I was not alone in my impressions.....

You'll not get a test drive like we had from your dealer
Go to PSDS!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

I bet that Cayman R was fun at Barber. I would like to try that.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Interestingly the 997 stick put down a faster lap than the 991 PDK
Originally Posted by MJones
997 Carrera S 6 speed
...vs...
991 Carrera S PDK

LOL

All hail 6speed manual with good drivers!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Indeed...rushman71 you might want to check the history before slinging arrows....
+100
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's something new to add to the mix. 991 was unanimously voted the better car vs the other p car line up, and at the track too.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...l-masters.html

The GT3 .2 is an awsome car but there is another thread I can link you to where a member who claims to be an instructor, in a group of instructer level drivers in GT3's, some which were heavily modded GT3's, were being rounded up by the 991S.

When i get a bit of time later I'll try find it for you guys and link it.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK. Finding the youtube clip was easier. The guy is a member on 6 ( he has an avatar of a yellow GT3.2...i think his user name is 930man) and if you can find the thread which goes back a bit now on the 991 section over there, you will see him quote what i was saying in my last post, amongst other compelling comments. Be warned. Some 997 (GT3) guys may not like what he says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7WD0...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Great first post and write-up ccroger43. Thanks and welcome.
+1...

This concludes again that 991 is simply NOT that much faster than 997 as everyone expected due to Ring times! This was not the case when Porsche moved from 996 to 997, massive improvements all around!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to the 2 day Performance PSDS earlier this month 4/10-11/2012 and I had a blast with the Cayman R on the track. My videos were with the 991S. Weather was mid 70s so I had shorts on. Developed a abrasion (which I still have) on my left knee (lateral patella) due to bracing leg against speaker grille while driving the 991.

Did a DE locally 4/18. No issues with my 997. In Seattle, so did not wear shorts either. (temp 50s)
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
+1...

This concludes again that 991 is simply NOT that much faster than 997 as everyone expected due to Ring times! This was not the case when Porsche moved from 996 to 997, massive improvements all around!
It is that definitive? Looks a lot more like a(reasonable) opinion piece to me. As such I wouldn't jump on top of it as being anything more.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Dunkleblau S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the PSDS in March as well, driving both cars back to back. One thing that MJones did not mention was that the SPORT MODES were totally disabled through PIWIS at the course. Yes, you push the button on the dash and nothing happens. So, I don't think a fair comparison to the drive can be had on the track. That said, it is a different car by feel - I own a 997.2 and driving them back to back you can appreciate the difference. I will say that the PDK is astonishingly good and I found the attempted rev-matching downshifts to be precise and helpful (so good that I don't think I am going to bother refining heal-toe shifting in my 6 speed anymore) -- then again, I was at the Masters course to improve my driving further and have not been racing for 40 years (unless driving in the womb while my father drove aggressively in his 356 counts )
Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dunkleblau S
I did the PSDS in March as well, driving both cars back to back. One thing that MJones did not mention was that the SPORT MODES were totally disabled through PIWIS at the course. Yes, you push the button on the dash and nothing happens. So, I don't think a fair comparison to the drive can be had on the track.
That seems like a detail that would have been useful to include in the OP.

The more information that comes out about this, the less credibility the original post has.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:30 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

"One thing that MJones did not mention was that the SPORT MODES were totally disabled through PIWIS at the course."

That pretty much invalidates the MT vs PDK comparison made here, me thinks.

Quick Reply: 991 PSDS review