Sponsored by:

Really?? PDK vs Manual??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman
(No offense to Hawaiian shirt wearing old dudes intended.)

Hey... what about us young dudes in Hawaiian shirts?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 130 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I love the excuses people come up with. There is nothing fun about pressing a lever to switch gears or hearing an engine labor waiting for the gear lever to be pressed while on a casual drive down the street. There really is no point to putting it in manual mode and where is there any fun at all in just driving with nothing to do except fiddle on you phones and ipads while drinking a latte.

I love rolling into a red light anticipating when it goes green while manipulating the throttle and just dropping the clutch in first gear as the car tears off wheels spinning until they get grip. You can't do that with PDK.
Rolling into a red light at an intersection anticipating the green for a tire spinning start is a great way to get yourself (or someone else) killed. Apparently good driving sense wasn't taught during your manual shift education. Also, what do you mean by "hearing an engine labor" waiting for a shift with PDK? Is that the way you drive a manual? One times shifts with PDK in manual mode exactly like a regular manual transmission. If you're referring to Sport Plus auto, which holds the transmission in each gear to redline, that mode is designed for track, not steet use.

BTW, your stereotypical assumptions about who drives PDK's and why people choose them over a MT are pretty insulting. I was probably driving MT's competitively before you were born and I feel I'm pretty good at it. I bought a PDK because I think it's the best transmission available in a Porsche, whether used in manual mode (which I do 90% of the time) or in Sport Plus auto mode on track, and in addition to being blindingly fast it's a lot of fun to use. Plus, I don't drink lattes.....
Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Looks like PDK is winning this so called ' war '. Porsche will listen and eventually drop the manual transmission all together. It is all about demand and making money,Porsche doesn't care about us,manual transmission lovers. They will listen to Sapman and others.
Generations will pass and they won't even know what a manual transmission is...so what,who cares...
I'm waiting for my dealer to get a manual so I can test drive and order,probably one of the last generations of manual Porsche. And people that know how fun manual is...enjoy!
The rest...enjoy your PDK's! I'm sure it's the better transmission...cough cough...
Old 03-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
Looks like PDK is winning this so called ' war '. Porsche will listen and eventually drop the manual transmission all together. It is all about demand and making money,Porsche doesn't care about us,manual transmission lovers. They will listen to Sapman and others.
Generations will pass and they won't even know what a manual transmission is...so what,who cares...
I'm waiting for my dealer to get a manual so I can test drive and order,probably one of the last generations of manual Porsche. And people that know how fun manual is...enjoy!
The rest...enjoy your PDK's! I'm sure it's the better transmission...cough cough...
I hope you're wrong. I love PDK, but who knows, I might want a MT again some day and there are obviously others like you who want one now. PDK is a better transmission, no cough-cough about it, but it still may not be what someone wants and that person should have a choice.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I hope you're wrong. I love PDK, but who knows, I might want a MT again some day and there are obviously others like you who want one now. PDK is a better transmission, no cough-cough about it, but it still may not be what someone wants and that person should have a choice.
I really hope Porsche will drop the Manual,so that you'll be stuck with PDK!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I really hope Porsche will drop the Manual,so that you'll be stuck with PDK!
That's the difference between me and you; I hope you have options, and you hope I don't! BTW, just having PDK available would be no sacrifice AFAIC.....
Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Mike it wasn't meant to be insulting. I could have been and easily brought up insulting remarks with comparisons to a lot of things that would be.
I agree with you the PDK is a better performing transmission but that doesn't mean it is better in all ways. Specially since it really detaches you from the car and it does take away all the fun.
If I had it my way I would keep the clutch pedal and gear selector and pdk with a switch to tell in what mode I want it in.
That or if the car were affordable have 1 of each. The PDK for the times I want to win at the track and the manual for the rest of the time to just have fun. Both these are not options and I couldn't spend that much on a car and be left annoyed and detached. There are many other manufacturers that I could drive if I wanted that.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That's the difference between me and you; I hope you have options, and you hope I don't! BTW, just having PDK available would be no sacrifice AFAIC.....
I just said that because I know if that day comes,you and others will really miss the manual,even if you think PDK is the better transmission. I actually don't want that day to come...
Unfortunately,I believe ' the better transmission ' will take over eventually,perhaps an improved version.
Enjoy your PDK,I have nothing against your choice. Just buy a manual sometimes to keep the sales at a certain level that Porsche won't drop it.
Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:23 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Don't take it to hard, I know the truth hurts.
Classic internet forum attempt at a deflection, but hey, let's follow that one and see where it goes.

Please, do elaborate on which truth you are referring to.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:46 PM
SC_Brad
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had a PDK my 18 year old twin daughters would want to drive my Cab S.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

My understanding is that about 70% of 911 sales are with PDK, so while the manual may continue to be available, I think people will be switching in greater numbers as time goes on. I'll be driving one for the first time later this week, but from the people I know driving dual clutch transmission cars (Audi), they love them. To each his/her own though.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:50 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Do me a favor. Show me where I have shown that I am not a manual transmission lover.

I have owned and driven a manual sports car in some shape or form for 19 of the last 20 years. I have driven them at DE events, autocross events and trackdays all over the world. I typically drive a rental car in Europe 4-6 weeks every year and it is usually a manual. That doesn't mean that I won't buy a PDK. I am doing exactly that this time around. If I didn't have a 991 on the way I would seriously be considering the 981S with the 6 speed manual.

My main issue with these threads are the people that come in here full of hot air and dismissing the PDK as not a real driver's option. Seriously, some of these guys think that just because they use a left foot operated clutch that makes them a better driver than anyone with a PDK. Many have not even driven a dual clutch gearbox for any length of time. Logically, it makes no sense and it annoys me no end.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SC_Brad
If I had a PDK my 18 year old twin daughters would want to drive my Cab S.
When my kids are driving age I am hoping they will be able to drive a manual. I fully intend to teach them, but not on a P car.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm just glad Porsche has continued (up to now) to give customers the choice. I have nothing against PDK and would order it in a heart beat if I were to use the car daily, frequently be in LA traffic, or doing track days. The rev'd matched downshifts are the best part. It seems dealers (at least the one in my area) are really putting on a hard sell for them ... I assume for markup?

For my purpose though .... the inferior and slower manual tranny is still more fun.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sapman
Do me a favor. Show me where I have shown that I am not a manual transmission lover.

I have owned and driven a manual sports car in some shape or form for 19 of the last 20 years. I have driven them at DE events, autocross events and trackdays all over the world. I typically drive a rental car in Europe 4-6 weeks every year and it is usually a manual. That doesn't mean that I won't buy a PDK. I am doing exactly that this time around. If I didn't have a 991 on the way I would seriously be considering the 981S with the 6 speed manual.

My main issue with these threads are the people that come in here full of hot air and dismissing the PDK as not a real driver's option. Seriously, some of these guys think that just because they use a left foot operated clutch that makes them a better driver than anyone with a PDK. Many have not even driven a dual clutch gearbox for any length of time. Logically, it makes no sense and it annoys me no end.
Hey Sapman,glad to hear you enjoy a manual transmission once in a while.
Looks like you're turning now,which is not a bad thing. Like I said before,others will follow and manual will disappear eventually.
Enjoy your new car in good health!

Quick Reply: Really?? PDK vs Manual??