Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really?? PDK vs Manual??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am actually surprised about all these girl PDK references in 2012. I barely got the PDK past the wife. To her it's not a sports car if it doesn't have a stick shift, she is more than adept. The cab was also her preference. I may also give the car to my daughter if she gets into a good college. I don't even know anybody with a manual for teaching purposes. Ahh...white people problems.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman
What does this have to with availability of the e class with a manual Gearbox in the US?
I was just trying to make a point that Mercedes has manual transmissions for these cars.
Like I said in my previous post,I don't know 100% whether you can special order one for the US market or not,but I don't see why you couldn't...
Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
You're being a little drastic.
What I said it's from my general knowledge. I might be wrong,no problem. Ferrari has plenty manual transmissions,I don't know about the 458,but at the price tag it's coming with and how exclusive their clientele is,I don't see why they wouldn't build a custom special order for more money.
If you know a case in which someone tried to get one like that and couldn't,please share. If not,let me believe what I want.
No currently built Ferrari has a manual transmission. None. Zero. Zilch. Sorry, but you are just plain wrong.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

I was just trying to make a point that Mercedes has manual transmissions for these cars.
Like I said in my previous post,I don't know 100% whether you can special order one for the US market or not,but I don't see why you couldn't...
Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sapman
No currently built Ferrari has a manual transmission. None. Zero. Zilch. Sorry, but you are just plain wrong.
Ok,check this link then :
http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sport%20Cars/CurrentRange/FerrariCalifornia/Performance_Figures/Pages/Technical_Sheet.aspx
Look what it says under transmission available.
Maybe you're jumping to conclusions a bit.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Ok,check this link then :
http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sp...cal_Sheet.aspx
Look what it says under transmission available.
Maybe you're jumping to conclusions a bit.
Fair enough.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:27 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really get this discussion. Don't get me wrong, I love to shift. But we're talking about a car that has electronically controlled throttle, steering, suspension, braking, torque vectoring, stability control, etc, etc.

Why? Because these things improve performance. Why not let the computer handle shifting as well if it can do it better.

If you want a more visceral old school connectedness to the car and the road, the 993 and older models are excellent choices.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm glad that Porsche is one of the few enthusiast makes that still offers the choice. For me, it would have to be a manual. Three simple reasons:

1. For me, a stick is simply more fun to drive
2. I'm not getting any younger and with my bum left knee, a day may come when I can't drive a manual
3. Who knows how many more generations of 911 will be offered with a manual, so get 'em while ya can...

Last edited by Mspeedster; 03-15-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 PM
VELOCITY 997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual transmission, there is NO substitute. Enough Said. The 911 is a Sports Car therefore a Manual is a Must.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 PM
slowlane
Track Day

i am of the opinion that had the technology existed there would be no such thing as a manual transmission.

in the early days, it made sense to choose a manny over an auto because autos were slow. that is not the case anymore. i love manuals and always have... but saying it puts a driver more in tune with the road is not accurate anymore. a clutch doesnt make a car better nor does pushing the pedal make one more in control. this is of course my humble opinion.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
I don't really get this discussion. Don't get me wrong, I love to shift. But we're talking about a car that has electronically controlled throttle, steering, suspension, braking, torque vectoring, stability control, etc, etc.

Why? Because these things improve performance. Why not let the computer handle shifting as well if it can do it better.
More of those things make a car less expensive to manufacture than improve performance. Linkages that have to connect to our fleshy archaic arms and legs are far more costly to make and engineer than a button hooked up to a black box.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Please don't get this the wrong way,people are entitled to any opinion and preference they want,but I believe that in the future we will have self driving cars that you just sit in and they take you to your destination. I guess that is going to be accepted just as fast as the PDK....
I just hope when that time comes I won't be around anymore...
Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

When you drive stick shift car, you'll never have to explain yourself. Never have to defend or justify your choice.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Please don't get this the wrong way,people are entitled to any opinion and preference they want,but I believe that in the future we will have self driving cars that you just sit in and they take you to your destination. I guess that is going to be accepted just as fast as the PDK....
I promised myself I'd stay out of this thread as the PDK/MT argument has been rehashed ad nauseum, but I just have to comment. To suggest that someone who loves cars and driving, has driven MT's their entire life, and who now chooses to buy the most sophisticated, highest performing transmission available is somehow more likely to accept self-driving cars, is totally illogical. Sorry, but "don't get this the wrong way" doesn't clear you to say something completely ridiculous.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I promised myself I'd stay out of this thread as the PDK/MT argument has been rehashed ad nauseum, but I just have to comment. To suggest that someone who loves cars and driving, has driven MT's their entire life, and who now chooses to buy the most sophisticated, highest performing transmission available is somehow more likely to accept self-driving cars, is totally illogical. Sorry, but "don't get this the wrong way" doesn't clear you to say something completely ridiculous.
I understand. No problem. It's your opinion.
Like I said before,good thing we still have choices.

Quick Reply: Really?? PDK vs Manual??