Sponsored by:

Really?? PDK vs Manual??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Personally,I'm a hardcore manual lover,no matter how good PDK is.
It is not true that Ferrari doesn't offer manual. Just like Mercedes,you can special order a manual from the factory.
I'm not so sure about that. I really don't think you can get a new 458 or a new S-Class in a manual.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
slowlane
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
When you drive stick shift car, you'll never have to explain yourself. Never have to defend or justify your choice.
im sure there are some out there that buy the manual because it's cheaper... after all the pdk is 5% of the msrp of a base 991.

i dont believe that every person that has a manual is 1. a better driver or a driver that likes more interaction 2. more in tune with the road or 3. more in control of the car. it simply doesnt make sense.

there is a reason race cars are moving to auto transmissions.

again, imho.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

I still loves these threads, year after year. As a die hard manual guy, I'm finally going over to the dark side, pdk. And I have been the most ardent supporter of the manual- most fun, engaging, ultimate control, heel and toe, only trans for a true sports car, etc. Then I drove a new pdk. Holy cow, gotta love German engineering. It's really the perfect balance of fast sports car and everyday commuter. I do find myself apologizing to my wife, kids, friends for getting an "automatic". But just drive one and it's really, really hard to justify the manual.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack
I'm not so sure about that. I really don't think you can get a new 458 or a new S-Class in a manual.
If you read all the posts in this thread you would have seen that I've already proved this using Ferrari's site. It's true the manual gearbox offered there is for a California,not 458,but like I said before,Ferrari has very exclusive clients and considering the price tag,they will do anything to satisfy them. That includes custom paint,interior and a lot of other exclusive options...hell...,for the right price,they will wrap your 458 in gold and the interior in Swarovski crystals. I think a custom manual transmission is a piece of cake for them.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

If you read all the posts in this thread you would have seen that I've already proved this using Ferrari's site. It's true the manual gearbox offered there is for a California,not 458,but like I said before,Ferrari has very exclusive clients and considering the price tag,they will do anything to satisfy them. That includes custom paint,interior and a lot of other exclusive options...hell...,for the right price,they will wrap your 458 in gold and the interior in Swarovski crystals. I think a custom manual transmission is a piece of cake for them.
WADR, there are a couple of things wrong with what you're suggesting. First, unlike custom interiors and paint, manufacturers must certify engine/transmission combinations to meet applicable standards for sale in the U.S. market. The fact that a MT Ferrari or Mercedes might be available in other markets doesn't mean that you could buy one in this country through legitimate channels, no matter how much money you have. Second, it's misleading to say that manual tranmissions for these cars are "available" when in fact, even if it were possible (see first point) it would require really extraordinary amounts of money and effort, and very unlikely cooperation from Ferrari or Mercedes (Design a one-off manual gearbox for your 458 or S class, sir? Sure, no problem. )

You may be able to imagine a fantasy scenario where you could make this happen, but in any reasonable reality, MT's aren't available in the US for these cars.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
WADR, there are a couple of things wrong with what you're suggesting. First, unlike custom interiors and paint, manufacturers must certify engine/transmission combinations to meet applicable standards for sale in the U.S. market. The fact that a MT Ferrari or Mercedes might be available in other markets doesn't mean that you could buy one in this country through legitimate channels, no matter how much money you have. Second, it's misleading to say that manual tranmissions for these cars are "available" when in fact, even if it were possible (see first point) it would require really extraordinary amounts of money and effort, and very unlikely cooperation from Ferrari or Mercedes (Design a one-off manual gearbox for your 458 or S class, sir? Sure, no problem. )

You may be able to imagine a fantasy scenario where you could make this happen, but in any reasonable reality, MT's aren't available in the US for these cars.
Good to know your opinion. I guess we're all doing this for the sake of argument,but until we see some real facts provided towards one's belief,we won't know for sure.
Glad to be on this forum,some really good people here and very passionate.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If fastest speed around the track is the overall objective, all the electronic wizardry including PDK is the way to go.

You are still driving, but technically, you are giving inputs to a computer that is interpreting your inputs, optimizing them, and then driving the car. The computer also provides simulated road feel and acoustical cues so you feel "connected" to the road.

It works pretty well, but it is what it is.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:22 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I'm glad that Porsche is one of the few enthusiast makes that still offers the choice. For me, it would have to me a manual. Three simple reasons:

1. For me, a stick is simply more fun to drive
2. I'm not getting any younger and with my bum left knee, a day may come when I can't drive a manual
3. Who knows how many more generations of 911 will be offered with a manual, so get 'em while ya can...
This is one of the best set of reasons for choosing a manual transmission that I've read for a while. Personally, I have tried and tried to like pdk, but I just don't. I've test driven and tracked pdk cars. I've driven a pdk 911 cab down Mulholland Drive. They are way more convenient in traffic, and better to drive at the track. But I've never felt they were more fun on the street. They take away so much of the experience of driving. Do pdk owners shift up and down for fun while trundling along at 30mph in the city? Is working one of those push pull switches really more involving than using three pedals and a snick snick gear shifter? When I hit the gas, I want an intuitive sense of how much torque the engine is going to give. I've never felt that in a pdk car. Sure, you can lock the car in manual with sport plus switched on the whole time, but that feels like a pointless exercise, as the car isn't meant to be driven like that. There's always the knowledge the computer could be doing a better job than you right now if you just left the car in D. I've tested a 991 with pdk and I'm settled. I don't want it. I'll put up with the clutch effort in traffic until my knees wear out. Life is too short to optimize for convenience at the expense of what you truly want.

One thing Porsche could do is make the clutch and shifter action effortless like in the R8, but that's a different story.

To those who enjoy their pdk cars, no offense intended. This thread is like a support group for manual transmission enthusiasts.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:33 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 236 Posts

In the end, if truth be told, if I were to get a 991, I think I'd go pdk. I would have my '95 993 manual (ain't sellin' this one) plus eventually a new porsche. I think I would get the pdk thing.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:52 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zanwar
This is one of the best set of reasons for choosing a manual transmission that I've read for a while. Personally, I have tried and tried to like pdk, but I just don't. I've test driven and tracked pdk cars. I've driven a pdk 911 cab down Mulholland Drive. They are way more convenient in traffic, and better to drive at the track. But I've never felt they were more fun on the street. They take away so much of the experience of driving. Do pdk owners shift up and down for fun while trundling along at 30mph in the city? Is working one of those push pull switches really more involving than using three pedals and a snick snick gear shifter? When I hit the gas, I want an intuitive sense of how much torque the engine is going to give. I've never felt that in a pdk car. Sure, you can lock the car in manual with sport plus switched on the whole time, but that feels like a pointless exercise, as the car isn't meant to be driven like that. There's always the knowledge the computer could be doing a better job than you right now if you just left the car in D. I've tested a 991 with pdk and I'm settled. I don't want it. I'll put up with the clutch effort in traffic until my knees wear out. Life is too short to optimize for convenience at the expense of what you truly want.

One thing Porsche could do is make the clutch and shifter action effortless like in the R8, but that's a different story.

To those who enjoy their pdk cars, no offense intended. This thread is like a support group for manual transmission enthusiasts.
+1!!!!
All the way manual!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by slowlane
i am of the opinion that had the technology existed there would be no such thing as a manual transmission.

in the early days, it made sense to choose a manny over an auto because autos were slow. that is not the case anymore. i love manuals and always have... but saying it puts a driver more in tune with the road is not accurate anymore. a clutch doesnt make a car better nor does pushing the pedal make one more in control. this is of course my humble opinion.
Automatic transmissions have been commonly used in the US at least since the 1950's. There's a reason why the most diehard sports car fans still prefer a manual though. It's just more fun. PERIOD!

But it's nice that those who have drive in stop and go traffic or for other reasons want an auto tranny can have one.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 582 Posts

I agree. Love my MT and driving it in the higher revs. When I drive my wife's 528i in manual sport mode it seems odd, like the engine is somehow straining and not meant to rev into the higher bands. So I sheepishly put it back into auto. The PDK is similar when I've driven one. Seems to be some how straining it. Now I know that is not in actual fact true, but just an impression. I wonder how many PDK owners actually drive it in sport mode and manually shift it? Me thinks the numbers are few...
Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to know your opinion. I guess we're all doing this for the sake of argument,but until we see some real facts provided towards one's belief,we won't know for sure.
Glad to be on this forum,some really good people here and very passionate.
I can't believe you are still continuing with this. Yes, as you pointed out, the Ferrari California now comes with MT as a US option from the factory. However, you have been saying that if a car has a MT available in another country, that all you have to do is request it from the factory and they will send it to the US. That's not true.

The E class page that you posted had MT cars on it in Europe. However, they were E2XX Diesel models which are not sold in the US ( and before you ask, no, you can't just ask for one of these models at your local US dealer.). The E class models that are sold in the US do not have MT available period.

As for the onus of proof, given that you seem to be alone with this perspective with anyone else who has commented on it coming down on the opposite side, I think that belongs with you.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sapman
I can't believe you are still continuing with this. Yes, as you pointed out, the Ferrari California now comes with MT as a US option from the factory. However, you have been saying that if a car has a MT available in another country, that all you have to do is request it from the factory and they will send it to the US. That's not true.

The E class page that you posted had MT cars on it in Europe. However, they were E2XX Diesel models which are not sold in the US ( and before you ask, no, you can't just ask for one of these models at your local US dealer.). The E class models that are sold in the US do not have MT available period.

As for the onus of proof, given that you seem to be alone with this perspective with anyone else who has commented on it coming down on the opposite side, I think that belongs with you.
Is it not you who was willing to bet an arm and a leg that Ferrari offers ' ZERO ' models with a manual transmission for the US?!
That says a lot about your credibility.
I rest my case...
Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I agree. Love my MT and driving it in the higher revs. When I drive my wife's 528i in manual sport mode it seems odd, like the engine is somehow straining and not meant to rev into the higher bands. So I sheepishly put it back into auto. The PDK is similar when I've driven one. Seems to be some how straining it. Now I know that is not in actual fact true, but just an impression. I wonder how many PDK owners actually drive it in sport mode and manually shift it? Me thinks the numbers are few...
I had the same feeling while driving PDK on the track as well. It just felt like I just shift up when the engine noise was getting to loud. On the street I would be too self aware and would think people think I am an idiot driving at higher rpm all the time when you don't need to be.
Also I don't like having to count down shifts going from 4 or 5th into a 2nd gear corner. Just doesn't seem right. I end up just letting the car do the shifting. PDK to me is more annoying then fun.

Quick Reply: Really?? PDK vs Manual??