Sponsored by:

Really?? PDK vs Manual??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:22 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Really?? PDK vs Manual??

I know, I already read a lot of threads on PDK vs Manual here (and on the 997 site), but are we saying Manual is done?? I just can't comprehend this. Granted, I have not driven PDK, so I might have this all wrong, but fully ditching the manual?? I mean, I enjoy driving manual. Sure, not as fast, or smooth, but it's all me. And when I nail it, I feel like the King of the World. Does PDK take you to the next level? It sounds like that might be the answer. I don't know.

I drive a '95 993 that is ***** to the wall. Re-geared, RS flywheel, RS bars and PSS10 suspension. And of course manual. If I were to "add" to the family, would I (or could I) go PDK or stick with manual? I don't know. Heart and sole say manual, even if it's not faster, smoother, etc. But maybe I'm wrong. I think I would get bored with PDK, therefore I am still sticking with manual, even if I'm in the minority.

Ah, feel better. Rant off!!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was determined to buy a manual Porsche but found a deal that seemed really good. I can't believe how much I enjoy the PDk, it is pretty amazing. I miss the interaction of a manual but the PDK is fast and convenient. Will probably go back to a manual next time around (if there are any) but currently I like the double C.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:15 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MICHAELWWW
I was determined to buy a manual Porsche but found a deal that seemed really good. I can't believe how much I enjoy the PDk, it is pretty amazing. I miss the interaction of a manual but the PDK is fast and convenient. Will probably go back to a manual next time around (if there are any) but currently I like the double C.
Interesting. Why would you consider going back to manual after enjoying PDK?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by os993
I know, I already read a lot of threads on PDK vs Manual here (and on the 997 site), but are we saying Manual is done?? I just can't comprehend this. Granted, I have not driven PDK, so I might have this all wrong, but fully ditching the manual?? I mean, I enjoy driving manual. Sure, not as fast, or smooth, but it's all me. And when I nail it, I feel like the King of the World. Does PDK take you to the next level? It sounds like that might be the answer. I don't know.

I drive a '95 993 that is ***** to the wall. Re-geared, RS flywheel, RS bars and PSS10 suspension. And of course manual. If I were to "add" to the family, would I (or could I) go PDK or stick with manual? I don't know. Heart and sole say manual, even if it's not faster, smoother, etc. But maybe I'm wrong. I think I would get bored with PDK, therefore I am still sticking with manual, even if I'm in the minority.

Ah, feel better. Rant off!!!!
I am with you 100% re manual. Its the same logic behind why Porsche uses ducting to enhance the exhaust note (too ironic), it is more engaging. I could care less about how much faster PDK is around some track I will never get to drive on. If I can still get a thrill out of on an occasional on-ramp, or just everyday driving by pushing a stick, then I am good.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

To OP/ self-confessed ranter, perhaps one idea would be to test drive one?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't see any reason you can't enjoy both transmissions. I can "interact" with the car by deciding when to shift or just put the top down and enjoy the drive. I amaze my riders at how seem less the shifts are through the gears. I guess ideally if I was a little more well off I would have one of each.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbroen
To OP/ self-confessed ranter, perhaps one idea would be to test drive one?
Yes I agree 100%!! Like I said, I might be missing the big picture here. I agree that until I drive one, I might have this all wrong. PDK sounds like a logical transition into new technology - hey, Porsche thinks so, and amazing to hear the new Ferrari's don't even offer manuals anymore!!

Maybe that makes my 993 manual more of a no-brainer. Maybe a future "brother" I would consider PDK.

Need......test......drive.......
Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Yes I agree 100%!! Like I said, I might be missing the big picture here. I agree that until I drive one, I might have this all wrong. PDK sounds like a logical transition into new technology - hey, Porsche thinks so, and amazing to hear the new Ferrari's don't even offer manuals anymore!!

Maybe that makes my 993 manual more of a no-brainer. Maybe a future "brother" I would consider PDK.

Need......test......drive.......
Personally,I'm a hardcore manual lover,no matter how good PDK is.
It is not true that Ferrari doesn't offer manual. Just like Mercedes,you can special order a manual from the factory.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

While one cannot fault PDK for what it is, or what it can do, it will never, ever win my heart. So long a manual is offered, special order or otherwise, I will never buy PDK. To back me up, and to those few of us true unbelievers, too, every auto mag reviewer I have read has agreed to the manual.

It is, of course, personal preference. Therefore, before the guns come out, and I have been on this site long enough to know they will, I am not judging your personal opinion, so please don't judge me. Please.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Manual is the most engaging aspect of owning a sport car. It's also the most manly man thing. PDK are for girls and for those who lack skill and need an advantage.
Yes PDK is an advantage and to be truly competitive with those that use the advantage you have to use it. But for a car that I want to enjoy and have the most engaging experience I would have a hard time to ever convince my self to spend that much on a car and have no clutch. Now if money and spending was not an issue I would own 1 of each.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Personally,I'm a hardcore manual lover,no matter how good PDK is.
It is not true that Ferrari doesn't offer manual. Just like Mercedes,you can special order a manual from the factory.
Are you telling me I can order my new E350 wagon with a manny tranny?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Are you telling me I can order my new E350 wagon with a manny tranny?
From what I know...Yes!!!
In Europe for sure you can,I don't see why you wouldn't be able to order it for USA too...
Old 03-13-2012, 01:31 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Because two pedals in a 911 means that it's your wife's car.

Seriously though, manuals will never die as long as there are driving enthusiasts buying new cars.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I can't believe we're beating this dead horse.......again........

Quick Reply: Really?? PDK vs Manual??