991 lightweight and track setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 991 lightweight and track setup

Thinking about the forthcoming track season and the arrival of the 991, I would say -- having studied the porker on a spit -- there's ample weight saving opportunities to get the 991 down (well) under 3000lbs wet. The Carrera S is about 3250 now.

I trust the likes of DASSport will already have a "first kid on the block" car and be on their way to a half-cage and perhaps a full-cage -- I'd like something in a light cro-mo, tucked into the body, bolted to the existing pick-up points, no reduction in safety or access for rear seats.

When someone converts the 991 to a track car, I'm guessing it will shed 200lbs on day one (assuming an already light spec car) and then another 200lbs of easy improvements. All the usual suspects look all the more complex and heavy. The new dash will merit and complete "delete" kit, leaving just a cable control for the PDK actuator (all shifting from the wheel.)

There's maybe another 200lbs (yes, I'm an eternal optimist) by going full monty with suspension, wheels, brakes.

The aftermarket will have great opportunities.

A skilled machine shop could make dollars out of reverse-engineering that bridge girder (rear suspension lower cross member) and its assembly of triangle braces, brackets, clamps, drop links, etc. Lots of steel everywhere underneath.

Just the ridiculous double clamps on the exhaust flanges are about 2lbs each and hang at the rear of the car. : )

Those bulbous headlights look fragile and vulnerable, so some old-fashioned headlight blanks or stone guard plastic film will be a necessary precaution (and weight saving ... I doubt those headlights are light.)

The front calipers look like they're off a Panamera, the front rotors are thicker.

It seems to me a 400 horse, 3000lb car will be still a very civilized street car, but an enjoyable track toy.

The only thing I don't yet see how to improve quickly are the new tire and wheel sizes. If someone with a 991 has a 997, it would be good to compare the overall diameter of the tires. As ever, with a Carrera, we're not dealing with track-oriented PASM or PSM and there's no driver control to defeat SC or TC (which is a pathetic omission on the part of Porsche to not at least hide these away under the PSM controls.)

Second to curb weight, unsprung weight is my pet peeve and Porsche going to more comfortable, larger wheels and tires isn't exactly ideal. Hopefully the car's electronics can function (PDK, PSM, PASM) on somewhat smaller overall diameter rubber so long as the ratios remain consistent.

Last edited by Carrera GT; 02-13-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude I drove mine at VIR today! very very good car on the track!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Speaking of weight savings, any idea if/when the car will be offered with the carbon sport bucket seats? I assume it will at some point, maybe in conjunction with the release of the GT variants.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

18" light weight wheels would drop the unsprung weight quite a bit from the 20"s.

200lbs should come off easily with some recardo/sparco seats and some exhaust/cat mods.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Speaking of weight savings, any idea if/when the car will be offered with the carbon sport bucket seats? I assume it will at some point, maybe in conjunction with the release of the GT variants.
I certanly hope so, although I haven't heard anything yet. I love the sport buckets and would hate to have to go back to a "standard" seat.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
18" light weight wheels would drop the unsprung weight quite a bit from the 20"s.
Of course taking two inches out of the wheel creates two inches of additional tire sidewall height, but I don't imagine such a tire exists, at least not a performance tire. The reduction in overall diameter also causes a (significant) increase in rotations per mile and the result is "shorter" gearing, lower ride height and untold changes in the geometry -- important or insignificant, I'm not sure. At the least, I'd expect the car to want different wheel carriers or toe control offsets if it were lowered to take advantage of the smaller overall height of the 18 inch wheel and tire combination.

I know of at least one company which will solve these riddles and we can only hope their product arrives with 19's. (I'm speaking of Porsche itself and the GT3.)

Sadly, I fear the days are long gone for dreaming that Porsche will follow on from the Boxster Spyder and deliver a GT3 with simple coil-overs (no PASM) but I suspect the next GT3 will be delivered with 19's and 20's, with PDCC optional and of course, with PDK (which I like) but it will be a tough job to get away from the heavy technology.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Of course taking two inches out of the wheel creates two inches of additional tire sidewall height, but I don't imagine such a tire exists, at least not a performance tire. The reduction in overall diameter also causes a (significant) increase in rotations per mile and the result is "shorter" gearing, lower ride height and untold changes in the geometry -- important or insignificant, I'm not sure. At the least, I'd expect the car to want different wheel carriers or toe control offsets if it were lowered to take advantage of the smaller overall height of the 18 inch wheel and tire combination.

I know of at least one company which will solve these riddles and we can only hope their product arrives with 19's. (I'm speaking of Porsche itself and the GT3.)

Sadly, I fear the days are long gone for dreaming that Porsche will follow on from the Boxster Spyder and deliver a GT3 with simple coil-overs (no PASM) but I suspect the next GT3 will be delivered with 19's and 20's, with PDCC optional and of course, with PDK (which I like) but it will be a tough job to get away from the heavy technology.
I'd just run hoosier 245 on a 8.5" or 9" front wheel and 315's on a 11" or 12" on the rear. I suspect the GT2 ALMS Porsche are not running 20's
Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Carrera,

You getting rid of the RS for a 991?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:52 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, the ALMS RSR is still the 997 so not too many clues there yet.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Camisade
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone yet found a (slightly smaller?) aftermarket wheel and R-composition tire that works without causing the car to throw errors? (I've heard that running a track/competition tire, with it's stronger grip enabling higher lateral-Gs, throws the car's systems off.)

I specify the "slightly smaller rim," because I've not yet found anyone offering a matched set of r-composition tire for the stock rims (at least on Tire Rack), and it would save on consumables (tire) expense. I'd love to go a little wider wheel and tire for even stronger cornering, but that's a secondary consideration.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
my guess is that it may never, but certainly not until GT3 production ends ... assuming they will preferentially supply the GT3s and forthcoming RSes with these seats before offering to N.A 991 customers.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I know this is all a joke, but if you're serious about reducing unsprung weight why not have this guy build you a set of wheels?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGGi...%3DPGGiuaQwcd8)

Quick Reply: 991 lightweight and track setup