Sponsored by:

Extended warranty recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 08:04 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Extended warranty recommendations

Just bought a 2012.5 Carrera 2 with 8900 miles on it and PDK, 20" wheels., and a few nice options - nothing extravagant.

My question is: for people who have actually bought extended warranties: is there a consensus on the forum as to which dealers or companies offer the best prices with the best coverage? Is there a "go to" vendor who has the best reputation?

My understanding is that if one wants to get an extended warranty it will be less expensive to do so if the car has less than 10-12,000 miles on it. I get that to buy one now would have it running concurrently with the factory bumper to bumper warranty, which for me runs out 6/16. The question is: is the price reduction now that much less than the price I would pay closer to 6/16?

Appreciate the inputs - this forum is really great!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Take the +$4,000 and hide it in your sock drawer. You'll come out ahead, chances are.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will get less coverage and a higher price if you wait until 2016. Find out what policies that the dealer you will be getting your car serviced at honors. You don't necessarily have to buy it from them but it is nice to know what they are familiar with.
Also, make sure that you buy a comprehensive policy instead of a stated coverage policy.

One more thing, shop around. There is a good chance that you can buy the same policy from Honda or a Toyota dealer, etc. Many Porsche dealers own several other franchises and you can sometimes get them to compete against themselves by getting quotes from their "sister" stores. Policies are very negotiable, except in FL.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:21 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Take the +$4,000 and hide it in your sock drawer. You'll come out ahead, chances are.
+1

I did one extended warranty and they dropped me when their inspector noticed I had after market parts on the car. The money I got back from the cancellation was less then that repair and when I sold the car about 4 years later with 143K on the ticker it was still running strong w/o any major repairs.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:26 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Think I will go with LexVan's suggestion....

A little bit of research revealed the following: Consumer Reports dug deep into the experience of extended auto warranty owners to reveal some surprising stats:

•55% of people who bought an extended warranty never used it.
•Of the 45% who did use it, on average, they spent more on the warranty than it paid for repairs.

Guess I better go find an old sock.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

^I would have suggested a bank account but interest rates now really suck.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just be sure to put 30k in that sock in case it dumps an engine after the factory warranty runs out. One other thing and the main reason I buy them is resale value. When I bought a 3 year old 997.2 I bought a 6 year 75k policy. When I sold the car 16 months later the factory warranty had already expired. I was able to offer the new owner a car with 4.5 years and 50,000 miles left on a comprehensive -0-deductible plan. I figured that made my car a lot more valuable than another almost $70k vehicle with no warranty. Would you pay 70k for a Porsche with no warranty? I wouldn't, but you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty recommendations