Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 911 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:06 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Those lines across the roof is what I wanted to avoid the most. Plus having had a 997.1 Targa, I would be a bit concerned about any chatter coming from such a large panel.

Speaking of taking out the back seats. I asked about a delete option but dealer said not possible. I wonder what is under that center piece in the back. If carpet a-la old style, I may remove the seats.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:54 PM
gerenb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm going to have to disagree with the sunroof haters. I've had a Cayman S for the past five years and I've absolutely loved the car except for the missing sunroof. Virtually every other car I've owned has had a sunroof. On a beautiful spring day, it's really nice to be able to open the car up and soak in the sun and fresh air.

In terms of decreasing the value of the car, I seriously doubt it. It's a nice feature, not a nasty flaw. Also, although I'm not a fan of the external nature of the sunroof when opened, they've done an excellent job on the functionality. It seems they have minimized the wind noise and the car is rated to drive at any speed with the sunroof opened.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
The new sunroof no longer decreases the headroom...which is the only benefit I really see in the new design.
I haven't seen one sans sunroof, so there's no actual comparison yet, but I fail to see how a sunroof design would be without any compromise. Sure, it's a lot less intrusive, but just the large volume of space between the A and B pillar (beside the driver's head) appears to be to accomodate whatever brace/frame supports the opening and weight of the sunroof and its slider mechanisms, motors, etc -- and all of that is at the end of the end of a lever, acting to roll the car outwards through turns -- even if it's 10-15lbs. Same old problem to ask the car (... to ask the tires ...) to force a 10lb pendulum to change direction at speed.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't possibly "hate" anything that remotely has to do with any Porsche, regardless of year or model. I just prefer mine without. Wonder what the weight savings would be? As to the question of the seats-I venture to guess the bottom is most probably the same as the 997. Hope someone here asks the salesperson next time, or operates on their car. Cheers.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I have used my sunroof about three times, since new. I may have suffered from partial hearing loss due to the buffeting noise on the '05s (joke). I have had this inexplicable need for a Porsche without a sunroof, and now have a choice. My build would be: 991s, PDCC, 7-speed, SC & PASM. I might take the back seats out and go on a diet to shave off a few more pounds. Wonder if there is a way to get the 991 below 3k? Cheers.
Weight reduction! Excellent topic ... for another thread. : )

About the only thing I saw that looks set in stone is the rear seat assemblies -- mainly because it's a complex central tunnel and NVH becomes an issue once you remove the cabin trim over the firewall.

But someone will have to wrench out the cabin trim and see how to get a cage in there -- and probably remove whatever dead weight comes for the various new "features" like the engine noise duct thing.

Quick Reply: My 911 build