My 911 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts
Default My 911 build

I am ordering a 991S
Guards Red (to match the color of my current 997.1 - neighbours and casual observers wont know that I bought a new car)
Wheels Black

Here is my build. Pls comment.

911 Carrera S
3.8 liter
400 hp
7-speed Manual Transmission
Guards Red
Black leather interior
• SportDesign steering wheel
• Sport Exhaust System
• Sport Chrono Package
• ParkAssist (front and rear)
• BOSE(R) Audio Package
• Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport
Seats Plus
• Black leather interior
• Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
• 20-inch Carrera S wheel
• Guards Red
• No Sunroof
• Ornamental Porsche Crest
• Wheels painted Black
• Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) with
PASM sport suspension
$96,400
$26,990
$123,390
$123,390

Individual options
Individualization

Packages P37 BOSE(R) Audio Package $2,420
P3C Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport
Seats Plus
$6,155
Exterior Color G1 Guards Red $0
Interior Color AZ Black leather interior $3,330
Exterior 636 ParkAssist (front and rear) $990
ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest $0
ZAC No Sunroof $0
Performance 031 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)
with PASM sport suspension
$4,050
176 Sport Exhaust System $2,950
640 Sport Chrono Package $1,850
Wheels 423 20-inch Carrera S wheel $0
Wheel Accessories XDA Wheels painted Black Exclusive $1,635
Interior P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) $0
Interior Leather 840 SportDesign steering wheel $250
Z-Options
Category Order no. Description MSRP*
Stitching 24891 Stitching of Front and Rear Seats deviating
thread
$1,100
Guards Red
24901 Stitching of Dashboard deviating thread $390
Guards Red
24902 Stitching door trim deviating thread $390
Guards Red
24905 stitching of rear side panel deviating thread $390
Guards Red
26741 Stitching of door center panel deviating
thread
$390
Guards Red
26751 Stitching of arm rest deviating thread $310
Guards Red
26761 Stitching of door handles with deviating
thread
$390
Category Order no. Description MSRP*
Guards Red

MSRP $123,390
*Destination charge not included.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

that person that has the job of switching the thread must be the highest paid person in the factory! But I do love the deviating option!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build. Enjoy the wait.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Well chosen build. Congrats.

Only comment, perhaps, is the folding mirrors, for the puddle lights.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:08 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you need any comments on that? I think you know all too well that it is an awesome build. Good color choice, I'll be picking up my guards red 991s any day now.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Fantastic! Love it. A couple things (and maybe I've missed it in your list) but make sure to have the deviating red stiching on the steering wheel and the leather boot surrounding your 7-speed shifter. There's a beautiful 997.2 cab in town that is stunning but doesn't have the above and would be the first thing I'd change if I jumped into it. I know it can be done. Without it if you are like me it will visually bug the crap out of me! Love it that you got the PDCC. What a car. What a build.

One thing I don't get on the PAG pricing is why the base C2S in the USA is $96,400 and is $110,000 in Canada. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Zeus993; 02-12-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 159 Posts

I would get the sunroof. It works great. If you don't like it leave it closed. It will make the car hard to sell. I found this out the hard way a long time ago.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Hippocampus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered my 991 without a sunroof. If I was buying used, it wouldn't bother me. i live in Florida. Most of the time it is too hot to have the roof open.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

I love comments and the info. Thanks. Keep it coming
Old 02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about ordering with deviated stitching, but heard that it you leave an area out (or more), it could look a little out of place. Do you know if there is a link that gives the exact order for full deviated stitching?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The sunroof becomes again the controversial feature -- the videos and reviews I've read tend to praise the engineering and pan the end result. I looked at it and can't quite believe how small the actual opening (which remains partially obscured by the roof) so I can only hope Porsche has plans for a really impressive Targa version -- the expansive rear parcel shelf, combined with the "hatchback" of the Targa glass should make for a remarkably useful 911.

Personally, I'm just pleased to be able to order the car sans sunroof without objection from the factory. The reduction in weight, noise, and complexity, as well as the increased clearance for headroom all outweigh the opportunity to have a glimpse at the sky.

The real "sunroof" should have come in the form of a solid panel cabriolet instead of the absolutely astonishing appalling lack of innovation in the 991 Cabrio. As a 997.2 Cabrio driver, I was looking forward to a 991 in wide body, AWD "C4S" to replace the 997.2 Cabrio, but with ample rear seat passenger leg room and comfortable seat back (instead of the absurd vertical wall panels imposed by the 997.2 firewall.)

Surely any halfwit could have seen the imperative to meet or better the competition with the 911 Cabrio this time round -- and the first step would be a hardtop cabrio, not another noisy, creasy stretched fabric contraption.

I guess I could hold out hope that the Targa will not be a Cabrio platform with a metal roof stitched on (and the "signature" V angle to the rear side windows.) Hopefully the 991 is sufficiently rigid that it can take the glasshouse of the Targa without going to the compromises of the Cabrio in terms of rear cabin space.

As someone with two small passengers, I'm disappointed to find Porsche has not considered the importance of the rear seat space or comfort of those vertical seat-backs.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gleek48
I was thinking about ordering with deviated stitching, but heard that it you leave an area out (or more), it could look a little out of place. Do you know if there is a link that gives the exact order for full deviated stitching?
You need to have your dealer do it. Currently, you can not deviate the stitching on the center tunnel. Porsche has a couple of people in US who can work with you to help figure out these type of Exclusive options. They work directly with the factory and can even help order options that are currently not listed. Ask your dealer to connect you with them. Unfortunately, at this point of the model run there are only a few special options you can do. That will change in future.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 991 sunroof

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The reduction in weight, noise, and complexity, as well as the increased clearance for headroom all outweigh the opportunity to have a glimpse at the sky.
The new sunroof no longer decreases the headroom...which is the only benefit I really see in the new design. I do agree that in current 991 form it is practically worthless. It would make more sense to see the sunroof made of 'glass' to create a much more 'open' (via natural light) interior feel, without going to the extreme of recent all-glass roof Targas. The weight differential between the 991 coupe's sunroof in 'glass' over 'metal' would not be as great as the all-glass roofs of the older Targas. It was the 'top-heavy' aspect of the latter, in addition to the rattle-noise issues, that gave it a questionable reputation among 911 performance enthusiasts, although the model always had its devoted group of followers. And a 991 coupe's glass 'moon roof' doesn't preclude PAG from offering the 991 Targa as a separate model with the 'signature' steel roll bar that harks back to original 911 Targas of the late sixties!

There was a report in one of our forums a few months back that such a glass sunroof option would be offered by PAG on the 991 in time. Let's hope so.

Let's also remember that PCNA is offering its US customers a choice of whether or not to have (and pay for) a sunroof, which is something that was denied to us for many years when sunroofs were mandatory on a 911. Let us also not forget that as recently as in 2007/2008, all regular US gt3's were spec'ced with sunroofs to the great disappointment of many light-weight and/or tall enthusiasts. Only in MY2010 with the intro of the 997.2 gt3's, were these base gt3 cars offered finally without sunroofs. The RS were never offered with sunroofs, thankfully. So 'choice' is good and we should all appreciate the progress in this type of 'forward thinking' by PCNA re: sunroofs in the US market.

Personally I think that a new 991S ordered with mostly 'performance' options but without a sunroof will be a very desirable car for future resale. It will be seen as an enthusiast car, closer to the spirit of the lighter, more focused gt3 than a luxury but heavier sport gt! So it will appeal to a wide group of folks and you might not be penalized for its absence. My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos, z356
Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

When I ordered my 991, i didn't plan on getting the sunroof. I never open the one I have and it looks ugly on the 991 with it opened from the outside. My sales guy and the manager really insisted that I get it saying they have a real hard time selling one without it. Since there's no decrease in headroom and a negligible increase in weight, I got it for resale value. However, when I test-drove the 991, I was impressed with how quiet it was with it open even though it is not really a big opening. So maybe this time I will actually use it occasionally. That's the only thing I see with the build- great car, btw!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used my sunroof about three times, since new. I may have suffered from partial hearing loss due to the buffeting noise on the '05s (joke). I have had this inexplicable need for a Porsche without a sunroof, and now have a choice. My build would be: 991s, PDCC, 7-speed, SC & PASM. I might take the back seats out and go on a diet to shave off a few more pounds. Wonder if there is a way to get the 991 below 3k? Cheers.

Quick Reply: My 911 build