wow....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 AM
tibookx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Touchy feely bunch indeed!
Perhaps, or perhaps just one guy with manners.

I don't think anyone appreciates insults to their intelligence. Rennlist is for educating people and sharing opinions, not putting others down.

I mean... It says a lot that you have to attempt to jab at me as "touchy feely" instead of replying in a constructive manner to what I said.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:11 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Many people (I am not referring to th OP BTW) have not driven the PDK the way it is meant to be driven and belittle it. I have a PDk equipped car that rev matches perfectly, knocks me back into my seat on sport plus mode with every up shift. So when the OP who drives a GT3 makes these comments on the new 911 I don't see anything wrong in Adias asking is he has ever driven a SC equipped 997.2, since most of the PDK attributes that he describes are seen on the 997.2's. Gentleman correct me if I wrong but I see no attack on the first Adias post on this thread. Now if the OP has driven a 997.2 PDK and then feels a night and day difference comparing it to the 997.2 which Adias "attacks" without even having driven a 991 then I can understand your frustration.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

the pdk in the 991 feels "totally different" than the pdk in the 997.2 to me as well.. they surely changed the software considerably... even around town you notice the changes as far as fuel and revving and so forth.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Touchy feely bunch indeed!
You have multiple people telling you in multiple threads your never-ending baseless emotional attacks on the 991 based on your 997 fanboyism are tiring and childish.

I can't imagine what drives a person to write post after post just to put down like-minded people and their choices simply because they aren't exactly what you would choose. Did daddy never offer enough approval for you no matter how hard you tried as a child? You aren't doing yourself, this site, or the brand any favors. Seriously man, grow up.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

I loved my 930 ... Loved my 993 Tt ... Loved my 996 cup 996gt2 gt3... But in no way are the a "better " car.. They just different.. You or any other driver I know will out shift the new pdk.. Not lap after lap.. Just a fact..

I am not say it's the purest porsche out there but I am not ignorant enough not to acknowlege the technology in this new vehicle .. I guess we should all be driving 72 911's for the pure 911.... Oh God not water.... Omg not a Smart phone lol

I'm just stating how competent the PDK is.. I am A manual guy!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

I feel no attack.. I have driven a 2011 pdk 997s.. There is something different I can't tell you exactly.. The 991 almost feels sequential as far as the quickness ..

I will say again I am impressed..

Yes two cup cars
600 hp 2nd place one lap of America built Gt2
700 hp ford gt

Yes this Is good tranny.. But I will say more after I have it at VIR this weekend
Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
I am Amazed with this 991S PDK.... that is a big statement from a Diehard GT3 guy! this thing is unbelievable ! if you drive it hard it just flat keeps up! I am overly impressed with its ability! I you dont like it and you are a Hater you havent driven it hard enough!!!! the downshifts are super quick perfectly rev match every time.. the upshifts are insane!

I do notice when first starting out cold motor it sometimes goes into 2nd after a few miles an hour... once warn not a problem... BTW alway drive in sports plus mode PSE ON....! THAT SHOULD BE THE STANDARD ... you should have to hit button to deactivate it to normal mode!
Nice review, curious how you as a real track guy would compare the 991 to your GT3. I have a 997.1 GT3 (only track a few times a year) which i love and have a deposit on the 991 GT3 (manual). I'm curious how or even if Porsche is going to maintain the raw, connected feel in the 991 GT3.
The 991 has achieved it's high capabilities through allot of electronics which goes against the raw, visceral connected nature of the GT3 so I can't wait to see what they do with the 991 version.

Last edited by BG; 02-08-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like a great car Matt. As I get older, the PDK is starting to interest me more. Maybe I will get it in my next 911. Can't wait to hear how you liked it at VIR.

Gerald
Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 AM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From my understanding of the 991S - it is now the basic equivalent of a GT3. Same lap times as a GT3 at Nurburgring. Wider, longer stance and new electronics can do amazing things. Yes it is not and shouldn't be as untamed as my 930 or my 993 C4S (sold). The same sort of comparison can be made from my previous euro M6 and my current '10 M5. More civilized with probably twice the HP with electronic handling dynamics.

My current opinion is that I am thinking of opting for the new 991S in lieu of a '10 or '11 RS. Got to go with the new technology. Then in 2-3 years - I will trade for the new 991 GT3 RS. (hope that Porsche builds it)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
You have multiple people telling you in multiple threads your never-ending baseless emotional attacks on the 991 based on your 997 fanboyism are tiring and childish.

I can't imagine what drives a person to write post after post just to put down like-minded people and their choices simply because they aren't exactly what you would choose. Did daddy never offer enough approval for you no matter how hard you tried as a child? You aren't doing yourself, this site, or the brand any favors. Seriously man, grow up.
We're all free to express our opinions here, multiple times and in multiple ways if desired. As has been pointed out, if you don't like reading someone's repeated opinion, you are free to skip over their commentary as soon as you see their avatar. There's a not-so-fine line between disagreeing with or poking fun at someone elses POV and getting downright personal and nasty and I think you just crossed it. Tony (Adias) has been a valued member of this forum for a long time, and regardless of whether you agree with him or not, your insult was uncalled for. Perhaps you should dial it back a couple of notches and reconsider the appropriateness of your own responses.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

The attraction of a 911 for a hardcore 911 fan is its pendulum dynamics. When that goes, it's no longer a 911.
You're flat out wrong. I really don't get how you think this way other than the fact that you are a 997 owner who can't currently upgrade to a 991 so you're protecting your 997 ego. No offense, just my read.

The 911 was tamed down a LONG time ago well before the 997. The new 991 is an improvement to the breed and this is great for all of us. If you want to stick to your 997 do so as am I, but reconsider casting aspersion on the new body because Porsche knocked it out of the park. Want proof? The pudding will contain $ signs. The 991 is going to be a sales success. The 997 Carrera S is dated, but shall remain a great value as it continues to depreciate like any other car.

And the problem with PDK and like-trannys is that the next gen will always prove to be better than the last due to the electronic wizardry matched with better materials and the application of them. Innovation. Advancement. Better design.

In USA, it's all about keeping up with the Jonses. I don't so much partake in this, but for those who do, more power to ya.

(fellow 997 owner who can still show love for all things good in autodom and not just Porsche)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
You're flat out wrong. I really don't get how you think this way other than the fact that you are a 997 owner who can't currently upgrade to a 991 so you're protecting your 997 ego. No offense, just my read.

The 911 was tamed down a LONG time ago well before the 997. The new 991 is an improvement to the breed and this is great for all of us. If you want to stick to your 997 do so as am I, but reconsider casting aspersion on the new body because Porsche knocked it out of the park. Want proof? The pudding will contain $ signs. The 991 is going to be a sales success. The 997 Carrera S is dated, but shall remain a great value as it continues to depreciate like any other car.

And the problem with PDK and like-trannys is that the next gen will always prove to be better than the last due to the electronic wizardry matched with better materials and the application of them. Innovation. Advancement. Better design.

In USA, it's all about keeping up with the Jonses. I don't so much partake in this, but for those who do, more power to ya.

(fellow 997 owner who can still show love for all things good in autodom and not just Porsche)
Aerokitted... and Mike in CA ... as always, great posts and comments showing maturity, logic and reason...
Its quite a lesson in Psychology to read peoples reactions to change...
Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

MATT I am JEALOUS!!!

anyhow I drove the 991 PDK and it does feel different than my 09. Anyone wanna bet a ECU Flash is coming for the 997.2 PDK?!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:54 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
MATT I am JEALOUS!!!

anyhow I drove the 991 PDK and it does feel different than my 09. Anyone wanna bet a ECU Flash is coming for the 997.2 PDK?!!!
Agreed
Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 127 Posts

As an observer with no horse in this race, I can say, almost without excpetion, that when I see a negative comment about the 991 and then look at what car the person owns, it is almost always a 997. I find it a little amusing, as someone who has never owned a water cooled 911, that some people who own the 911 that is most similar to the 991 seem to be the ones most critical of it. When compared with an SC, 3.2, 964, 993, etc., the 991 and 997 are basically the same car. And as many on Rennlist have pointed out, a lot of the negative comments being made about the 991 are in essence the same complaints that were made when the SC, 964, 996, 997, and even 993 first came out: bigger, heavier, less feel, more technology, more luxury, different demographic, less "true" in some sense.

It'd make a lot more sense, to me, if the people who didn't like the 991 were the same ones that didn't like the 997. Since the 997 is the 991's closest relative in the 911 lineup, I would have thought that if you like a 997 over a 993 etc., you'd love the 991.

P.S. I'd consider buying either. I just sold my 964 and am thinking about replacing it with a 991/997.

Quick Reply: wow....