Sponsored by:

wow....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wow....

I am Amazed with this 991S PDK.... that is a big statement from a Diehard GT3 guy! this thing is unbelievable ! if you drive it hard it just flat keeps up! I am overly impressed with its ability! I you dont like it and you are a Hater you havent driven it hard enough!!!! the downshifts are super quick perfectly rev match every time.. the upshifts are insane!

I do notice when first starting out cold motor it sometimes goes into 2nd after a few miles an hour... once warn not a problem... BTW alway drive in sports plus mode PSE ON....! THAT SHOULD BE THE STANDARD ... you should have to hit button to deactivate it to normal mode!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds good... the shifts are definitely different on the revised PDK system, sports plus might be a little extreme for the street however..
Old 02-07-2012, 10:34 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

hence the gt3 driver ...lol
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
I am Amazed with this 991S PDK.... that is a big statement from a Diehard GT3 guy! this thing is unbelievable ! if you drive it hard it just flat keeps up! I am overly impressed with its ability! I you dont like it and you are a Hater you havent driven it hard enough!!!! the downshifts are super quick perfectly rev match every time.. the upshifts are insane!

I do notice when first starting out cold motor it sometimes goes into 2nd after a few miles an hour... once warn not a problem... BTW alway drive in sports plus mode PSE ON....! THAT SHOULD BE THE STANDARD ... you should have to hit button to deactivate it to normal mode!
You haven't driven a 997.2 S PDK is SC Sport or Sport Plus that way have you? That's what 991 PDK-only launch cars does... it forces people to try them.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

yeah ... hate to say the software is faster than the 997.2... im still a stick guy but i doubt i could beat the PDK time after time
Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 930man
yeah ... hate to say the software is faster than the 997.2... im still a stick guy but i doubt i could beat the PDK time after time
People say this 'the 991 PDK software is faster' faster by what meter? The 0-60MPH of the 991S is about the same as a 997.2 S and the 991 is slightly lighter and slightly more powerful...

That's not where the 991 performance advantage is. The real-word 991 performance advantage is in a longer WB and wider front track. The car is more stable, can attack a curve faster - it's no longer much of a 911 pendulum - therefore the slow-in/fast-out is no longer the approach or at least far less so.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

I drove one as well, with PDK and SC in Sport plus mode, and agree 100% with 930man
Went directly from an '11 GT3RS to this car for the drive...upshifts are harder and faster than anything I have driven..actually SNAPS your neck back. And the downshifts with blips are awesome.
Anyone who thinks the 991 is a "GT" or soft has never driven one.
I was 95% certain of 7MT, now 50/50 I'll go with PDK (plus I still have 6MT on the RS....)
And the car will only get better with the GT3 and other variants to come.
Well done by Porsche

wsh
Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
People say this 'the 991 PDK software is faster' faster by what meter? The 0-60MPH of the 991S is about the same as a 997.2 S and the 991 is slightly lighter and slightly more powerful...

That's not where the 991 performance advantage is. The real-word 991 performance advantage is in a longer WB and wider front track. The car is more stable, can attack a curve faster - it's no longer much of a 911 pendulum - therefore the slow-in/fast-out is no longer the approach or at least far less so.
i will goive you a real world answer tomorrow,,, to late for it now... but i think you are confused of my opinion ...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 AM
tibookx
Intermediate

Default Je suis triste.

ADias -- I'm confused as to why you're constantly attacking others' positive opinions/impressions of the 991. Why so negative? Every car purchased is a matter of the individual driver's personal preference.

All the reviews I've read (and I've tried to read all I can find), both from journalists and from individuals on this board (who have done an AMAZING JOB! Go Rennlist!) has been overwhelmingly positive on the changes made to the 991. The consensus seems to be that the steering feedback is just a tad bit more 'muted' than before, but the gains in confidence and stability are astounding in real world situations, and make this the best 911 ever.

Are you simply against the fact that the 991 is now more of a daily driver than ever, and easier for an average driver to handle day-to-day? That it resists the urge to kill you through the use of 21st century technology? Isn't that the beauty of Porsche, being able to create performance sports cars that evolve with changing times and needs?

My family has driven Porsche 911s as daily drivers for almost 40 years (I'll have to ask), and my Grandfather said it best -- "Porsches only get better!"
Old 02-08-2012, 12:39 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tibookx
Are you simply against the fact that the 991 is now more of a daily driver than ever, and easier for an average driver to handle day-to-day? That it resists the urge to kill you through the use of 21st century technology? Isn't that the beauty of Porsche, being able to create performance sports cars that evolve with changing times and needs? ...
In a contorted kind of a way, I guess you got it. The attraction of a 911 for a hardcore 911 fan is its pendulum dynamics. When that goes, it's no longer a 911. Those who do not understand that they might as well be driving something else, as they do not value what makes the 11 special.

Some here accuse me a being a 991 hater. They are wrong! I fully understand the reason the 991 is what it is. Markets/regulatory bodies and fads are the reason and the result is a fantastic performer, no doubt. I said it every time - better performer than any 911 built until now. But, the bettering of the 911 changes its character. I see that, you do not. I do not know how long you've been driving these cars. I have for many generations. Between a $120k 991S and a $200k Singer, I would buy the Singer. But that's me.

And another thing... I am as much entitled to post my perspectives on 991s or any other thing as any forum member/user. And my POV is not odd or unique.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adias, its only your opinion, it's not fact. You attack anyone with differing opinion. It seems like you go out of your way to post that you don't like the 991. We get it already, you were even attacking the 991 even before it was released, like over a year ago. What's the deal? I'm sure you'll attack this post now too.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by texas911
Adias, its only your opinion, it's not fact. You attack anyone with differing opinion. It seems like you go out of your way to post that you don't like the 991. We get it already, you were even attacking the 991 even before it was released, like over a year ago. What's the deal? I'm sure you'll attack this post now too.
WHAT are you saying? I attack who? Of course It is MY opinion. The issue, it seems, is that you do not like it. To me it looks like you are the one doing the personal attack... I contest ideas, POVs. You are free to ignore my posts.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHAT are you saying? I attack who? Of course It is MY opinion. The issue, it seems, is that you do not like it. To me it looks like you are the one doing the personal attack... I contest ideas, POVs. You are free to ignore my posts.
You don't contest ideas, you merely interject your negative opinions, over and over and over and over. The same thing every time just worded differently, and you might include a small positive word here and there thinking it will fool people into thinking that you're not biased, but we all see through it.

Your obsession with hating the 991 is bordering on being a troll.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 AM
tibookx
Intermediate

In a contorted kind of a way, I guess you got it. The attraction of a 911 for a hardcore 911 fan is its pendulum dynamics. When that goes, it's no longer a 911. Those who do not understand that they might as well be driving something else, as they do not value what makes the 11 special.

Some here accuse me a being a 991 hater. They are wrong! I fully understand the reason the 991 is what it is. Markets/regulatory bodies and fads are the reason and the result is a fantastic performer, no doubt. I said it every time - better performer than any 911 built until now. But, the bettering of the 911 changes its character. I see that, you do not. I do not know how long you've been driving these cars. I have for many generations. Between a $120k 991S and a $200k Singer, I would buy the Singer. But that's me.

And another thing... I am as much entitled to post my perspectives on 991s or any other thing as any forum member/user. And my POV is not odd or unique.
Sir, you must know I am not belittling your ability to give opinion. What I am questioning is the manner in which you are giving your opinion, which reads as fairly abrasive / condescending.

IE
1."Those who do not understand that they might as well be driving something else, as they do not value what makes the 11 special."
2. "But, the bettering of the 911 changes its character. I see that, you do not."

Is either statement really necessary? Or polite?

I do understand that the character of the 911 has been changed. That has been very obvious from the reviews. IMHO, that change is for the better, because I'd personally rather a supercar 24/7, not one that has an demon lurking inside ready to kill me at every turn. Now, I can turn that demon on and off, and that's the Porsche Magic! Hello Sport+ button.

It seems that, in your opinion, that change is negative and betrays the 911's soul. I understand what you're saying re: pendulum dynamics, as that is the nature of a rear-engined vehicle. The dynamic of the car YOU seem to be pining for is that rear-engine-ness inherent to all previous 911s, and the handling characteristics & body movements that accompany it. And that's totally ok.

But remember... We all serve at Porsche's discretion They direct the future of the 911, and this is where the car is going. I don't mind at all if you don't get on board, but don't bomb the train everyone else is boarding with a grin on their faces.

I simply wish you could find a more constructive way to express your opinion.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tibookx
I simply wish you could find a more constructive way to express your opinion.
Touchy feely bunch indeed!

Quick Reply: wow....