Sponsored by:

wow....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
People say this 'the 991 PDK software is faster' faster by what meter? The 0-60MPH of the 991S is about the same as a 997.2 S and the 991 is slightly lighter and slightly more powerful...

That's not where the 991 performance advantage is. The real-word 991 performance advantage is in a longer WB and wider front track. The car is more stable, can attack a curve faster - it's no longer much of a 911 pendulum - therefore the slow-in/fast-out is no longer the approach or at least far less so.
According to all three of major car magazines road tests, the 991S is faster than the 997.2s to 60 mph by about 0.3 to 0.4 seconds.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Tony (Adias) has been a valued member of this forum for a long time,
I wouldn't go so far. He's always had very strong, and usually indefensible views. Does he have a right to post them? absolutely. Does everyone else have a right to call him out on it? you bet.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 930man
I am Amazed with this 991S PDK.... that is a big statement from a Diehard GT3 guy! this thing is unbelievable ! if you drive it hard it just flat keeps up! I am overly impressed with its ability! I you dont like it and you are a Hater you havent driven it hard enough!!!! the downshifts are super quick perfectly rev match every time.. the upshifts are insane!

I do notice when first starting out cold motor it sometimes goes into 2nd after a few miles an hour... once warn not a problem... BTW alway drive in sports plus mode PSE ON....! THAT SHOULD BE THE STANDARD ... you should have to hit button to deactivate it to normal mode!
I really am just talking about the tranny... All other is BS
Old 02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I wouldn't go so far. He's always had very strong, and usually indefensible views. Does he have a right to post them? absolutely. Does everyone else have a right to call him out on it? you bet.
Tony is a friend. We sometimes disagree, but when we do, we disagree respectfully. My objection was not that someone challenged his POV, but that they they did it by injecting unnecessary personal insults.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
In a contorted kind of a way, I guess you got it. The attraction of a 911 for a hardcore 911 fan is its pendulum dynamics. When that goes, it's no longer a 911. Those who do not understand that they might as well be driving something else, as they do not value what makes the 11 special.

Some here accuse me a being a 991 hater. They are wrong! I fully understand the reason the 991 is what it is. Markets/regulatory bodies and fads are the reason and the result is a fantastic performer, no doubt. I said it every time - better performer than any 911 built until now. But, the bettering of the 911 changes its character. I see that, you do not.
Now, THAT IS THE EXACT POINT, the car is improved and better, BUT it's no longer a 911 and has lost its spirit... it's a cross between Panamera and 911, to fit into the people who want GT while driving a sports car bearing Porsche badge, and who do not care/know/experienced the 911s in the past, and do not care if they can see the engine or change oil or mod the car.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Now, THAT IS THE EXACT POINT, the car is improved and better, BUT it's no longer a 911 and has lost its spirit... it's a cross between Panamera and 911, to fit into the people who want GT while driving a sports car bearing Porsche badge, and who do not care/know/experienced the 911s in the past, and do not care if they can see the engine or change oil or mod the car.
That me may be the lamest self serving BS response I have ever read on rennlist!!! With all due respect you are driving a 997!! Leaps and bounds over a 996 ,, wider more stable Psm never turns off .. Track it an note the rear brake wear.. Hmmm makes you wonder!! These are not race cars these are not really track cars these are sports cars!! How many of the so called drivers here really hang their *** out on a hard sweeper ,, truly counter steering to keep in check ,, I mean come on .. You all say this and that but I'm calling you out.. Di you really drive the car 8/ 10ths .. I read all this bs then I see quite a few at the track and I would **** you away in a miata ...
I am not trying to start anything but most folks won't drive 50% of any of the cars potential .. Yea I have instructed. For 10 yrs .. I have sat in the passenger seat enough to know..
Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

But I stil think this a better car than the 997.. Not anything close to the 996 Gt3 .. But it's a different car
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

I enjoy the comments btw
Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Have you driven one ??

It still amazes me people use these "talking points" every time a new 911 is released...bigger, GT not sports car, lost its soul, etc.

I have owned 2 997's ('07 GT3, '11 GT3RS) and I can tell you after an extensive drive in a 991 it is still a 911 and still a sports car. It is faster, lighter, better handling and faster shifting (PDK) than a 997S.

wsh
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WSH
Have you driven one ??

It still amazes me people use these "talking points" every time a new 911 is released...bigger, GT not sports car, lost its soul, etc.

I have owned 2 997's ('07 GT3, '11 GT3RS) and I can tell you after an extensive drive in a 991 it is still a 911 and still a sports car. It is faster, lighter, better handling and faster shifting (PDK) than a 997S.

wsh
good answer you have good taste... they are 911's... if you think you going to hang out the *** and it not going to snap around because its not a 911....lol let me know how it works out
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

No one can argue that the 991 is not an improvement or an advancement of the 911 and as far as I can see no one is. You can have an opinion on whether or not it's a better sportscar or if it's a sportscar you want.

It's also very subjective whether you like the looks of it better than the 997 as well. I personally don't but to each his own!

Tom
Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am old enough to remember the same " I can not believe the fugly water cooled car coming out, it is not a real 911". My favorite car is the one I own. That will be the 991 GT3 when ever it comes and it will have PDK.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am Amazed with this 991S PDK.... that is a big statement from a Diehard GT3 guy! this thing is unbelievable ! if you drive it hard it just flat keeps up! I am overly impressed with its ability! I you dont like it and you are a Hater you havent driven it hard enough!!!! the downshifts are super quick perfectly rev match every time.. the upshifts are insane!

I do notice when first starting out cold motor it sometimes goes into 2nd after a few miles an hour... once warn not a problem... BTW alway drive in sports plus mode PSE ON....! THAT SHOULD BE THE STANDARD ... you should have to hit button to deactivate it to normal mode!
Nice to see one of the "hardcore" drink the PDK kool-aid

I like your standards!!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:36 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

That me may be the lamest self serving BS response I have ever read on rennlist!!! With all due respect you are driving a 997!! Leaps and bounds over a 996 ,, wider more stable Psm never turns off .. Track it an note the rear brake wear.. Hmmm makes you wonder!! These are not race cars these are not really track cars these are sports cars!! How many of the so called drivers here really hang their *** out on a hard sweeper ,, truly counter steering to keep in check ,, I mean come on .. You all say this and that but I'm calling you out.. Di you really drive the car 8/ 10ths .. I read all this bs then I see quite a few at the track and I would **** you away in a miata ...
I am not trying to start anything but most folks won't drive 50% of any of the cars potential .. Yea I have instructed. For 10 yrs .. I have sat in the passenger seat enough to know..
Thanks. Good to see someone with real track credentials call this.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
I am old enough to remember the same " I can not believe the fugly water cooled car coming out, it is not a real 911". My favorite car is the one I own. That will be the 991 GT3 when ever it comes and it will have PDK.
you will like...

Quick Reply: wow....