Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Transmission would you pick, (not taking into account cost or "launch control")
PDK
32.52%
Manual
67.48%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: 7 Speed Manual vs. 7 Speed "Manual" with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
Is there a reason they cannot have launch control on a manual. I thought I heard the upcoming higher performance C7's may have it. Curious how it will work? Obviously you'd have to shift the car, but the clutch uptake part...I don't know?
Saw it on a Shelby Ford. The way they do it is you set the RPM you want to limit it to (I think their is guidance in the manual about temp and traction issues, etc) and once you find that "sweet spot" you floor the gas and it holds that RPM (say, 3800 or something) until its engaged and running. Then it goes to full power, possibly with some additional traction control thrown in to limit wheel spin.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:01 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Well said. One criticism often heard in the high-end audio community goes like this: a "music lover" is someone who listens to music, while an "audiophile" is someone who listens to equipment. A similar zinger can be applied here. Die-hard stick shift advocates drive the gearbox, while the rest of us drive the car.
More like the MT guy probably prefers vinyl to the 'digital perfection' of MP3s. But MP3s are easier to put in a play list, and switching tracks is just a button away!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Well said. Also, which color silver is that in your avatar?
GT Silver Metallic. Pictures and options here.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is gorgeous for sure. Very nice.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
More like the MT guy probably prefers vinyl to the 'digital perfection' of MP3s. But MP3s are easier to put in a play list, and switching tracks is just a button away!
I think a better analogy would be the MT guy prefers listening to music, while the PDK guy would read a transcript of the song and rave about his greater efficiency in getting through the song.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:28 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I think a better analogy would be the MT guy prefers listening to music, while the PDK guy would read a transcript of the song and rave about his greater efficiency in getting through the song.
Or the PDK guy enjoys the experience of listening to the music of the best artists in the world while the MT guy bangs out his own on his iPad Garage Band app and wonders why friends don't come over for dinner anymore.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Or the PDK guy enjoys the experience of listening to the music of the best artists in the world while the MT guy bangs out his own on his iPad Garage Band app and wonders why friends don't come over for dinner anymore.
You're trying too hard.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Gene G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 7spd manual and love it. One of the nicest shifting I have ever had.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
Even those of us who do have "the coordination and connection to the car to meld everything in one amazing beautiful zen experience with a proper manual" can prefer the PDK for the performance, the dual-mode flexibility, the protection from expensive mistakes, and the smooth, flowing, uninterrupted delivery of thrust, which leads to a state of satori in which I do not look down on those with a difference of opinion, as so many of them do upon me, but understand that those so unenlightened are necessary and valuable threads in the fabric of the universe.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Naples911
Intermediate

Location: 2014 C2 Cab in Naples, FL - 7MT, Agate-Agate/Pebble
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pvr
My daily is a BMW X5, arm chair driving etc. For the fun times, my new 911 will be used. Part of the fun and involvement is the manual gearbox for me.

Getting it right is part of the experience for me, with pdk it would always be right.

If it was my daily, I would most likely have the pdk.
+1000!

Exactly my sentiments...
Old 03-26-2014, 02:07 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Default Auto shut-off is more satisfying and effective with MT

I've been on the fence but have now come around just as I'm about to order a 991...

I was all set to go PDK in keeping with the thinking that the best example of the state of automotive technology had to be the deciding factor, always.

Until I actually drove a PDK.

One stop sign away from the dealership sealed the deal. MT or walk away is the way it will be for me.

The 991 morphs into the paradigm of my buddy's AMG SL63 when hit with the PDK. The priorities of the driving experience all get shifted. (pun intended).

While the 991 carries the physical vibe of my 3.2 Carrera or my 993 or my 997, the PDK places the car one step too far on the evolutionary chain for my liking.

I feel myself more drawn to the Miata/Boxster end of the sports car continuum than that occupied by Ferrari, et al. The PDK is a significant swing from fish to fowl.

Also, the auto-stop feature does not work particularly well with the PDK and I would have it in "off" mode all the time.

Auto-shut off works really, really well with an MT in my experience, but seems sucky with the PDK, with an MT you depress the clutch pedal in anticipation of a green light and the engine starts, this cannot be replicated with the PDK.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 AM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
I've been on the fence but have now come around just as I'm about to order a 991...

I was all set to go PDK in keeping with the thinking that the best example of the state of automotive technology had to be the deciding factor, always.

Until I actually drove a PDK.

One stop sign away from the dealership sealed the deal. MT or walk away is the way it will be for me.

The 991 morphs into the paradigm of my buddy's AMG SL63 when hit with the PDK. The priorities of the driving experience all get shifted. (pun intended).

While the 991 carries the physical vibe of my 3.2 Carrera or my 993 or my 997, the PDK places the car one step too far on the evolutionary chain for my liking.

I feel myself more drawn to the Miata/Boxster end of the sports car continuum than that occupied by Ferrari, et al. The PDK is a significant swing from fish to fowl.

Also, the auto-stop feature does not work particularly well with the PDK and I would have it in "off" mode all the time.

Auto-shut off works really, really well with an MT in my experience, but seems sucky with the PDK, with an MT you depress the clutch pedal in anticipation of a green light and the engine starts, this cannot be replicated with the PDK.
+1

It's an individual thing, there are plenty who are looking for an easier commute, the extra seconds on a lap, etc., but the driving experience is just not the same for me either. I find myself wanting to shift my autos, I've never felt like I wish my 991 had PDK, and had PDK been the only option I would have skipped it entirely.

I think the bottom line is to drive them and see what appeals to you. One size certainly does NOT fit all, which is OK as long as they make 2 sizes.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:08 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
+1

It's an individual thing, there are plenty who are looking for an easier commute, the extra seconds on a lap, etc., but the driving experience is just not the same for me either. I find myself wanting to shift my autos, I've never felt like I wish my 991 had PDK, and had PDK been the only option I would have skipped it entirely.

I think the bottom line is to drive them and see what appeals to you. One size certainly does NOT fit all, which is OK as long as they make 2 sizes.
Agreed. Choice is a good thing.

What I find offensive is not being offered the choice. I don't think any of us "need" a fast sports car. It's definitely a "want" for me b/c I enjoy the driving experience and a huge part of that is the manual transmission. It seems dealers and even car manufactures are pushing DCT (more $ in their pocket) like crazy. My local dealer looked at me like I was from Mars for my insistence on a manual.

I can see getting PDK as a compromise if you have physical problem, long boring commute in stop and go, really care about 1/10th of a sec track times, etc. So make it an option, but take away my option
Old 03-26-2014, 03:03 PM
beebalm
Racer

My first car was a manual stick shift and pretty much always had a manual car except recent years with second car being an SUV automatic.

Just love manuals because it makes you become one with the car! You feel the cars love
Old 03-27-2014, 05:26 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw it on a Shelby Ford. The way they do it is you set the RPM you want to limit it to (I think their is guidance in the manual about temp and traction issues, etc) and once you find that "sweet spot" you floor the gas and it holds that RPM (say, 3800 or something) until its engaged and running. Then it goes to full power, possibly with some additional traction control thrown in to limit wheel spin.
Good call. I found this link showing that even the Ford Mustang GT will have launch control with manual.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014...NEWS/140329894
I think Porsche should definitely do this. PDK will still be faster, but the difference, for those who it actually matters to, will be less. Seems like 0-60 time differences (which are basically for bragging rights) between PDK and manual are 0.2s without launch control and 0.4s with. Most people who love manual would agree that 0.2s doesn't mean much given the joy they get with the manual.

Quick Reply: Poll: 7 Speed Manual vs. 7 Speed "Manual" with PDK