Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Transmission would you pick, (not taking into account cost or "launch control")
PDK
32.52%
Manual
67.48%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: 7 Speed Manual vs. 7 Speed "Manual" with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Poll: 7 Speed Manual vs. 7 Speed "Manual" with PDK

been talking to quite a few friends as well as people in the business and most of the people in the business (friends that work for porsche) say that the new 7 speed manual is "great and better than before" against the PDK because of the gearing ratio's being the same now and that it's the same transmission just with manual gear selecting versus prior where it was a different trans, different ratio's and so forth.

on the other hand, other friends seem to love the PDK and adopt it as a great and a trans that will be with us a while, far surpassing the Tiptronic and just an all around great performance advantage..

so i was curious to see what the board felt,

if you were ordering a 991 tomorrow, which transmission would you pick? (please make your vote NOT taking into account "launch control", 0-60 times...or the Additional Cost)
Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Manual 7-speed. I like the "direct" connection of a manual. I do limited stop-n-go driving, so that is not an issue.

While I like the PDK and think it is a great transmission, I would get PDK only if my knees and/or back would prohibit or limit my use/enjoyment of a manual tranny.

Riley, if you get the manual in your white/blue color combo, I want "first dibs" on your car when you are ready for a change in 18 months.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:41 AM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My order is for a 7 speed manual.....
Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual-as simple as I can keep it.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Manual. I simply enjoy shifting (both up and heel-and-tow down).

If I was worried about going fast I'd get a GTR.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Manual 7-speed. I like the "direct" connection of a manual. I do limited stop-n-go driving, so that is not an issue.

While I like the PDK and think it is a great transmission, I would get PDK only if my knees and/or back would prohibit or limit my use/enjoyment of a manual tranny.
^ this.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Shoot me if you want. The new PDK is amazing. Ok. Get your guns out! PDK! Bye.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:18 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bandit201
Shoot me if you want. The new PDK is amazing. Ok. Get your guns out! PDK! Bye.
thanx for honesty.... i will admit i loved my pdk but i wished when i had it the default was manual mode as you would drive it as a manual paddle shift car more often (i feel then it would need fixed paddles tho for easier shifting)
Old 01-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

The HUGE difference is that the new set up is such, that when your foot releases the brake pedal, the PDK engages instantly. ZERO lag as there was on 997. Completey recalibrated. The shifting is much more crisp and satisfying in sport. But most importantly, in normal mode. It is seamless and using the paddle on the fly in that mode is very aggressive.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:41 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Pdk is the future, more practical and efficient. This or some version of it will be around for a long time. The time for MT is limited, I give it a few more years max, so if you crave to do it yourself, enjoy it while you still have that option. R8 is deleting manual in its 2014 model (2nd gen). Ferrari already does not offer it in the 458. Manual numbers are steadily declining in the US, the only remaining market where they are still significant. After this tapering off is complete in a few years, manual will be deleted!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:14 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911

Riley, if you get the manual in your white/blue color combo, I want "first dibs" on your car when you are ready for a change in 18 months.
^ what he said...

with that said, I also like the baby making analogy posted by a RL member on another thread.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I need to have a manual transmission in my 'fun' car. Personally, a car isn't fun otherwise.

But if I were to order a 991, it would probably be a PDK; from what I am reading, the 991 is too big and refined to fall into the 'fun car' category for me - it would be a daily driver. For me, the 997 was borderline; loved the steering feel and gruff exhaust of my 2005, but the 997.2 became just that much more refined - quiet exhaust, Lexus-like smooth motor, a bit less steering feel - and the 991 is even more so, regardless of increased overall performance capability with each generation and mid-life refresh.

We'll see what the different 991 iterations bring, but unlike I was with the 997, I am not rushing out to get one.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
thanx for honesty.... i will admit i loved my pdk but i wished when i had it the default was manual mode as you would drive it as a manual paddle shift car more often (i feel then it would need fixed paddles tho for easier shifting)
Just as a counterpoint, I don't really see auto mode as a "default". I mean, you have to grab the console lever to disengage park anyway, so what difference does it make if you pull it 3 notches toward you into D, or in the same motion kick it one more notch left into Manual? I don't see what they could do to make it any easier.

As to the location of the paddles, I realize it may be personal preference, but I'm glad they're on the wheel not fixed on the column. In most circumstances they will more often be "at hand" when on the wheel.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

PDK

Legs and knees are fine. Been there done that on the 6MT - drove them for 25 years including 3 911's and an M3. I dont feel the need or desire to push a clutch any more.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Just as a counterpoint, I don't really see auto mode as a "default". I mean, you have to grab the console lever to disengage park anyway, so what difference does it make if you pull it 3 notches toward you into D, or in the same motion kick it one more notch left into Manual? I don't see what they could do to make it any easier.

As to the location of the paddles, I realize it may be personal preference, but I'm glad they're on the wheel not fixed on the column. In most circumstances they will more often be "at hand" when on the wheel.

when i say to "default as manual" i mean a "stickless" vehicle like a ferrari/lambo where the car starts in "N" and you must use the paddles to select the desired direction/gear. and then you must press "AUTO" to get into automatic mode..

fixed paddles are much easier for daily use, and on the track when your hands are placed properly they are longer and easy to reach as well at any time... i feel the function of shifting should be in a fixed location...... there is a reason why we dont have stick shifts on our steering wheel, or throttles and brakes on there too...

going from a paddle wheel porsche into a friends ferrari they setup was much more fun and easy to use... and made you drive the car in manual mode and enjoy it... the porsche is just too easy to go into automatic mode so you find yourself resorting to it much more than not.

Quick Reply: Poll: 7 Speed Manual vs. 7 Speed "Manual" with PDK