Sponsored by:

Base vs S

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:59 PM
jcmf75
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gwf0728a
I want to commend the purchaser, he stated that he has saved and saved all while driving (a civic I believe) before making this purchase. I recently purchased my first porsche and cant wait to get home from Afghanistan to enjoy it.
Thanks ~ I gave up our 335i, X5d, and E-Class to get a Tacoma and Civic. Big change, but well worth the penny pinching. Saved enough in 14 months to buy my 991 in cash, but need to collect more as I made a drug deal with the boss. Gotta give her $$$$$ too.

anyways..

To all ~ As I'm purchasing my first Porsche, I'm realizing it's not like buying in any other market I've purchased in before. Should I be trying to find some discount off MSRP, even on a new build 991?
I rarely pay over invoice on any other car, but I know I'm not in an every other car market now.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 PM
pg103
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcmf75
Thanks ~ I gave up our 335i, X5d, and E-Class to get a Tacoma and Civic. Big change, but well worth the penny pinching. Saved enough in 14 months to buy my 991 in cash, but need to collect more as I made a drug deal with the boss. Gotta give her $$$$$ too.

anyways..

To all ~ As I'm purchasing my first Porsche, I'm realizing it's not like buying in any other market I've purchased in before. Should I be trying to find some discount off MSRP, even on a new build 991?
I rarely pay over invoice on any other car, but I know I'm not in an every other car market now.

Thanks!
Congrats on your purchase!!! I have not heard of anyone getting any discount from MSRP (even for people with history of multiple Porsche purchase). I purchase a new Cayenne 6 months ago and was not offer any discount on the 991. However, please let us know if you have better success than me. Congrats again.

BTW....go with the "S"
Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pg103
Congrats on your purchase!!! I have not heard of anyone getting any discount from MSRP (even for people with history of multiple Porsche purchase). I purchase a new Cayenne 6 months ago and was not offer any discount on the 991. However, please let us know if you have better success than me. Congrats again.
It's not that unusual to get a discount but it does depend on the model, timing, and your dealer. I got 6% on my 997.2 S and 4.5% on my Cayenne S and they were both special order cars, not off the lot. But the Carrera purchase was at the height of the recession and the Cayenne was ordered just before the model became really hot. Also I've done multiple cars with my dealer (not just Porsches). OTOH, the Cayenne V6 has been very difficult to find and the 991 is brand new so I can see where discounts on those might be harder to come by.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 19_hole
I have not. For my needs (no track time) the base is more than fast enough to get into all kinds of trouble if you want to. This is my daily driver (other car is a 335i Coupe) and I just didn't need the S.
Thanks for the response - I almost forgot about this thread. It's funny b/c I had a C6 Vette convertible, and used to take it to a local track. People would ask me if I regretted getting the base, but my response was similar to yours. I felt the convertible was worth way more to me than an extra 100 hp on a 400 hp car. I now have a 335i convertible also, and it's an automatic. I used to have a 323i in stick. The truth is I enjoyed the 323i more then the 335i, mostly b/c of the manual, mainly because I felt more engaged.

I'm buying this car for the driving experience and how it engages the driver. The extra performance of the S would probably be lost on me. I think I'll probably save the money and get a base.

Quick Reply: Base vs S