Sponsored by:

Base vs S

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmf75
Think you just saved me 5 grand my friend. I went back and took a look and made some changes. Thanks!! Now I gotta go see what PSE is.
Glad to help. The best advise I received here is to see the car in the different specs you want, spend as much seat-time as you can; then order it. My 997 is my first Porsche. I ordered a few things that I regret-Bose being a major one. I just can't get enough of the engine and hardly ever listen to the Bose. Love the fact you didn't get the projectile sunroof! Cheers.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Dont settle for anything else than the "S" option.
Those 50hp + and better low end torque are worth every penny imo.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S vs base debate is an age old one that has been repeated many times on these forums. Let me be the spoilt sport and cut it short for you and take you to the conclusion these debates always end with. You need to get an S!
That always wins in the end and is just a very good idea.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
"less of a gap"? do you mean more of one? the performance gap has increased with the 991, imo.

The added torque (38 ft/lbs in a 3100 lb car is very noticeable) alone is a lot, not to mention the 50 HP.
No, I meant less of a gap, overall. There are more items that are standard on the Base 991 model (like the S) than there was on the Base 997.1 model; things like Bi-xenon lights, the same interior trim color on the accent pieces (silver vs volcano gray), floor mats, etc.

Yes, the HP gap is larger, but that is not the only measurement that makes a Porsche a Porsche. Plus, "a Porsche is not about "traight line'" acceleration." At least that is the argument that many here used when a car magazine compares the 911 to a Corvette, GT-R, etc. We can't have one set of comparative "benchmarks" when we compare Porsche to Porsche and another set of "benchmarks" when we compare Porsche to other brands.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Porsche may have added more to the base, but at the same time separated the two by more of a power gap. Agreed Porsche's are not straight line only cars. If I thought so I would have kept my 997 turbo instead of trading for a gt3. With that said, anyone who says that they simply do not like additional hp and torque (generically speaking) is either lying, lying to themselves or might want to consider driving a Honda. Not that Honda's are bad. I had many and always enjoyed them.

Last edited by 911dev; 01-11-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:36 AM
19_hole
Racer

I had the same debate, a base car or an S. I ultimately decided on a base car (as I did with both my 997.1 and 997.2). After optioning both cars the way I wanted and looking at how I would use the car, I decided that although more HP and torque are always better that I just didn't need it in the car. I found the $11,000 difference between the two cars to be too large for the very modeset increase in performance.

It is very much a personal decision. What are you going to use the car for and how important is the extra power? No matter which you choose, you will not be unhappy.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

The difference between the Base and the S is marginal in the 997, I had a paid and confirmed allocation for a March build base 991, but the downgrade of the base 991 to 3.4L with a minimal HP increase based only in higher RPMs and less torque numbers than the base 997 (at low RPM) was the deal breaker for me.

Last edited by Galion; 01-11-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Pass on the audio and get the S
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
jcmf75
Intermediate

I wish there was a way to hear the different stereo options prior to ordering. I'm thinking there won't be too many 991's running around town the dealer is willing to let someone drive to actually see the difference.

Here's where I am at now

Carrera S

Premium Pkg Plus $4650
Burmester Audio $5010
Grey Ext $710
Platinum Grey Int (debating black) $0
Delete Model Des $0
PASM Sport Suspension $890
Sport Chrono $1850
Destination $950

MSRP $110460

Im debating the interior color. I like both colors, but grey on another shade of grey may be too much. Also, depending on the exhaust, I may "can" the Burmester, get the Bose and use the difference to get the PSE.
I think option wise I'm happy, not into multi colored gauges and seat belts.

Thanks again for the input everyone.... it really does help to weigh the options
Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

I wish there was a way to hear the different stereo options prior to ordering. I'm thinking there won't be too many 991's running around town the dealer is willing to let someone drive to actually see the difference.

Here's where I am at now

Carrera S

Premium Pkg Plus $4650
Burmester Audio $5010
Grey Ext $710
Delete Model Des $0
Sport Chrono $1850
Destination $950

MSRP $110460

Im debating the interior color. I like both colors, but grey on another shade of grey may be too much. Also, depending on the exhaust, I may "can" the Burmester, get the Bose and use the difference to get the PSE.
I think option wise I'm happy, not into multi colored gauges and seat belts.

Thanks again for the input everyone.... it really does help to weigh the options
Listen to the Burmester in a Cayenne? 997's have Bose..

I would undoubtedly get an S - especially with the 991. Really big HP and performance difference. Once you're spending $106 - $9K is not much more ..

If finances were tight - I personally would "downgrade" anything not performance related (e.g. sound, leather, paint) to get an S over a Base. I'd get Bose (its fine for a 911) as an example.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:15 AM
jmm
Advanced

To a first-time Porsche purchaser, either the base or the S version will be satisfactory, even deliriously delightful. To someone trading in a perfectly good 997, there must be a big difference between the car they're giving up and the one they're putting out extra cash for.

To the dealer, they would rather you didn't load up a base car and make it overlap the S version in price, or even approach it. Why? Because they know you will be disappointed, even bitter when it comes time to trade it in because they are not going to give much more for the "loaded" options than they would if they weren't there. Practically speaking (can you really use practical and Porsche in the same sentence?) it is better to put premium options on the premium vehicle.

But, of course, you can do what you want and they will go along. Just watch their body language and you'll see they don't really approve of trying to make a low horsepower S by adding options, as smart as it may seem at times. The heart of the car is its performance, not its stereo or interior detailing, and it costs more to go all the way
Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
Dont settle for anything else than the "S" option.
Those 50hp + and better low end torque are worth every penny imo.
that's a fact, imo, of course! all the other additional stuff is frosting.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Also, depending on the exhaust, I may "can" the Burmester, get the Bose and use the difference to get the PSE.
I think that would be a great strategy. FWIW, I'm a big time audiophile, but doing critical listening in a sports car is an oxymoron. The PSE will give you all the aural satisfaction you need.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:15 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Carrera S

Premium Pkg Plus $4650
Burmester Audio $5010
Grey Ext $710
Delete Model Des $0
Sport Chrono $1850
Destination $950

MSRP $110460
I would say add the sport design steering, the new one looks so much cooler.

You may skip the audios, standard is plenty, considering you'll be busy enjoying the engine sounds and PSE.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 19_hole
I had the same debate, a base car or an S. I ultimately decided on a base car (as I did with both my 997.1 and 997.2). After optioning both cars the way I wanted and looking at how I would use the car, I decided that although more HP and torque are always better that I just didn't need it in the car. I found the $11,000 difference between the two cars to be too large for the very modeset increase in performance.

It is very much a personal decision. What are you going to use the car for and how important is the extra power? No matter which you choose, you will not be unhappy.
Have you ever regretted not getting the S?

I'm thinking of a base base vs. an S. $100k is a lot of money for a car!

Quick Reply: Base vs S