Base vs S

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
^ Porsche may have added more to the base, but at the same time separated the two by more of a power gap. Agreed Porsche's are not straight line only cars. If I thought so I would have kept my 997 turbo instead of trading for a gt3. With that said, anyone who says that they simply do not like additional hp and torque (generically speaking) is either lying, lying to themselves or might want to consider driving a Honda. Not that Honda's are bad. I had many and always enjoyed them.
Agreed. The HP/Torque is the major difference. Even the size of the brakes are "closer" than they used to be on the base versus S models. I bought an S 997.2 for that same reason and have no regrets. If I had bought a base Carrera I probably would have had regrets.

Speaking of Hondas, I was very happy to sell my Honda Accord Coupe to buy my S. The Honda was not a bad, it was just no fun to drive. It was simply transportation to get from point A to point B and back again.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmf75
I wish there was a way to hear the different stereo options prior to ordering. I'm thinking there won't be too many 991's running around town the dealer is willing to let someone drive to actually see the difference.

Here's where I am at now

Carrera S

Premium Pkg Plus $4650
Burmester Audio $5010
Grey Ext $710
Platinum Grey Int (debating black) $0
Delete Model Des $0
PASM Sport Suspension $890
Sport Chrono $1850
Destination $950

MSRP $110460

Im debating the interior color. I like both colors, but grey on another shade of grey may be too much. Also, depending on the exhaust, I may "can" the Burmester, get the Bose and use the difference to get the PSE.
I think option wise I'm happy, not into multi colored gauges and seat belts.

Thanks again for the input everyone.... it really does help to weigh the options
I think that ^ would be a good idea. I would prefer the sound of PSE over the sound of the stereo.

A 911 is a hostile environment for sound waves. I am of the opinion that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get true "concert level" sound in a 911.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 AM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmb13
Have you ever regretted not getting the S?

I'm thinking of a base base vs. an S. $100k is a lot of money for a car!
I have not. For my needs (no track time) the base is more than fast enough to get into all kinds of trouble if you want to. This is my daily driver (other car is a 335i Coupe) and I just didn't need the S.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 997 was my first Porsche. After a lot of research and seat time, I went with the base. The 997S is a great car, but I just preferred the simplest form. Plus, I have yet to fully expunge the full capabilities of the base car. As far as the 991 "base vs. S" debate, before the articles about the S we did not know what a great car it is. I will reserve full judgement on the difference until I see a few articles on the base AND spend some seat time in each of the cars. In-the-mean-time, I agree with the previous post that it does not make a lot of sense to "load up" a base car. As a group, we are blessed if the biggest issue for us is "base vs. S." Cheers.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 19_hole
I have not. For my needs (no track time) the base is more than fast enough to get into all kinds of trouble if you want to. This is my daily driver (other car is a 335i Coupe) and I just didn't need the S.
Both are great engines but you need to drive them hard to really appreciate their capabilities, don't really care if one is 0.2/0.4 sec faster than the other.
The problem is that in the 991, both peak power and torque now are achieved at least 1,000rpm higher in the rev range than the 997, under relaxed driving conditions (city driving), the base 991 will feel more slugish than the base 997.
The addional power and torque of the "S" will be necessary for a strong pull feel at low revs. (50hp is a huge difference in a 1400kg car)
Your BMW 335i twin scroll turbo will "feel" faster in the city than a base 991, even though it isn't.

Last edited by Galion; 01-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:20 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

In regards to the Burmeister...I had a long sit down with it in the Porsche Exclusive room at the Frankfurt Auto show -- it is "OMG WOW" - night and day difference above the Bose system in the 997.2's...

That being said I was in a relatively quiet room with zero engine noise. When you've got that throaty engine growl and a lot of ambient noise maybe there won't be as noticeable a difference?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 157 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
In regards to the Burmeister...I had a long sit down with it in the Porsche Exclusive room at the Frankfurt Auto show -- it is "OMG WOW" - night and day difference above the Bose system in the 997.2's...

That being said I was in a relatively quiet room with zero engine noise. When you've got that throaty engine growl and a lot of ambient noise maybe there won't be as noticeable a difference?
The big advantages of the Burmester, (better S/N ratio, wider frequency response, more dynamic range and clarity) are going to masked to a considerable extent by all of the other noise in a sports car. It might sound better, but not $2500 better. If money is no object then go for it. Even in my Cayenne, which is quieter than the Carrera, I just couldn't talk myself into doing it. Spent the money on performance goodies instead.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
With the base car you're missing the 2 stage intake resonance,
I believe this comes standard on the Base 991 as well ... (Oops, CORRECTION ... Base Carrera doesn't have the 2 stage Intake resonance)

As far as the base Carrera's power I would think it will be very good ... 0-60 in 4.6 seconds is very fast ... I find my base 997.1 is very fast for driving on the street .... not saying more HP isn't better because of course it is but I am very satisfied with the power of my Base Carrera and I would think the 991 would be even better.

Last edited by AF330i; 01-13-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AF330i
I believe this comes standard on the Base 991 as well ...

As far as the base Carrera's power I would think it will be very good ... 0-60 in 4.6 seconds is very fast ... I find my base 997.1 is very fast for driving on the street .... not saying more HP isn't better because of course it is but I am very satisfied with the power of my Base Carrera and I would think the 991 would be even better.
Hi AF330i, How do you compare your base with your 650i, pulling power wise?
Old 01-13-2012, 03:28 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I believe this comes standard on the Base 991 as well ...
Not according to the Porsche web site. The intake on the S incorporates a two stage system with a control valve.

The resonance intake system increases the intake volume by exploiting the fact that air oscillates as it passes through the intake manifold. The system can adjust to engine speed. Benefits of this include higher torque at low engine speeds and a flatter torque curve. The 911 Carrera S models operate a two-stage system.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Galion
Hi AF330i, How do you compare your base with your 650i, pulling power wise?
Hey Galion,

The characteristics of both cars are so different ... the bmw's 8 cylinder has massive pull but it is so isolated it doesn't feel as fast as it is. From a stop I would say it leaps quicker 0-20 but it is tough to avoid wheel spin which in turn kicks in the traction control which is old technology from BMW (the car is a 2007 with 16,000 miles). I am sure your 550i has a much better Traction control system.

The 911 feels like it revs quicker and must be faster after 20 or 30 mph ... the Porsche just loves to rev out and the response from the engine just says 'rev me out' plus it is instantly responsive ....

OTOH the 650 doesn't like being driven 9/10th's ... it is a great 7/10's car or casual cruiser with very nice instant power when the Auto transmission allows it to be which again could be programmed better ... my 335i had a quicker responding transmission.

Overall if the 2 cars were to race I m use the 911 after 30 would pull away nicely.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not according to the Porsche web site. The intake on the S incorporates a two stage system with a control valve.

The resonance intake system increases the intake volume by exploiting the fact that air oscillates as it passes through the intake manifold. The system can adjust to engine speed. Benefits of this include higher torque at low engine speeds and a flatter torque curve. The 911 Carrera S models operate a two-stage system.
My mistake ... I didn't catch it ... thanks for the correction I fixed my post
Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

My mistake ... I didn't catch it ... thanks for the correction I fixed my post
Above and beyond the call......
Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 AM
gwf0728a
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to commend the purchaser, he stated that he has saved and saved all while driving (a civic I believe) before making this purchase. I recently purchased my first porsche and cant wait to get home from Afghanistan to enjoy it.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:12 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 276 Posts

Too many "Coulda, shoulda, woulda" experiences in my life always prevent me from buying/leasing the base......and that's base anything....Porsches, front doors, floor tiles etc.!

Doesn't have to be a loaded "S" just has to start there.

Tom

Quick Reply: Base vs S