Sponsored by:

power steering plus?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 AM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
^^^ If someone needs to fold their mirrors to walk between his and the next car, then he is parked too close and that should NEVER happen with a Porsche, ergo, no need for folding mirrors.

Thx for the advice. I'll sell my house right away
Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TSpyder
When you get to the four-car-garage with four-cars-in-it stage, you can ignore stupid advice.

What are the other three?

Gary
Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deturney
Nice B ! Here's my '60 Bugeye:
Man, you guys are making me nostalgic for the days when my '65 MG Midget was new and so was I:

It had about as much horsepower as my lawn mower, but we loved that car. Notice the centerlocks... uh, I mean 'knock-off' hubs.

Gary
Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by simsgw
When you get to the four-car-garage with four-cars-in-it stage, you can ignore stupid advice.
Whew! I really don't want to sell the house

What are the other three?
650: Wifey's DD and also a Euro delivery car.

Toureg TDI: For Dobies, airport, HD, and skiing.

'91 NSX: Pristine project car,

And, about that garage: installed a lift a few mos ago. Before lift...

After lift...

Used the lift to do an early first oil change on the 991 a few days ago.

Spyder
Old 10-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow - love it. Well played sir.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

No stupid advice intended , I got this all wrong, its a language translation thing , I thought that since you have enough space for 04 cars, you dont need to slide between them with the mirrors folded, so in your case folding mirrors would be useless
Other than that, I try to never park my car near another (even my own ones) to avoid door dings, so in my case theres no use for folding mirrors.

Last edited by Galion; 10-29-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:52 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

'91 NSX: Pristine project car,
Nice garage work area. Wish mine looked that way. And that's a very nice project car. We owned a second gen NSX for ten years. Put 140k miles on it and considered it our car-to-be-buried-in until the dealer took it in for service, crashed it, and then refused to pay on the basis that "it could happen to anyone." Lots of anger then, but no more angst. USAA sued their *** and added a low-interest loan to the proceeds to finance our first Carrera, which turned out to be another lovable car.

But I still admire a nice clean NSX like yours.

Gary
Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

No stupid advice intended , I got this all wrong, its a language translation thing , I thought that since you have enough space for 04 cars, you dont need to slide between them with the mirrors folded, so in your case folding mirrors would be useless
Other than that, I try to never park my car near another (even my own ones) to avoid door dings, so in my case theres no use for folding mirrors.
No offense intended, Galion. Just that I have come to realize that most of the oddball items on that long option list reflect the diversity of Porsche buyers. I live in a desert and park in handicap slots when I do go downtown, so I need folding mirrors like I need bubble gum. But like rod antennas and parking assist, folding mirrors matter a lot to some buyers who love their cars as much as I love mine.

Gary
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

No offense intended, Galion. Just that I have come to realize that most of the oddball items on that long option list reflect the diversity of Porsche buyers. I live in a desert and park in handicap slots when I do go downtown, so I need folding mirrors like I need bubble gum. But like rod antennas and parking assist, folding mirrors matter a lot to some buyers who love their cars as much as I love mine.

Gary
No offense taken Gary, it really sounded like stupid advise, Cant argue with you on this one.
Very nice TSpyder! If I had that Garage I wouldnt want to sell my house either!!

Sorry OP, now back to topic.

Last edited by Galion; 10-29-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 PM
deturney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TSpyder,
That's a nice clean working garage and the lift: that's great. Good job Man!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Jerry502
7th Gear

Okay - maybe I still don't know what it does. I had "active steering" in my last BMW 550i sport - it was to control over and under steer. At low speed you it took less turning distance in the steering wheel to make a turn - a higher speeds it took a greater turning distance in the steering wheel to make a turn.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:47 AM
deturney
Instructor

PSP supposedly only engages at very low speed, to make parking maneuvers easier. The debate is: does it screw up the handling at higher speeds? Porsche says it does not, some owners of prior version 911's believe the steering is compromised compared to older versions due to PSP.

I previously had a Cayman, but this is my first 911, that probably makes it easier to adapt to it, as opposed to people who have a lot of experience with prior 911's.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:56 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deturney
PSP supposedly only engages at very low speed, to make parking maneuvers easier. The debate is: does it screw up the handling at higher speeds? Porsche says it does not, some owners of prior version 911's believe the steering is compromised compared to older versions due to PSP.

I previously had a Cayman, but this is my first 911, that probably makes it easier to adapt to it, as opposed to people who have a lot of experience with prior 911's.
Not really. It's not my first 911, and definitely not my first sports car, exotic or otherwise. The steering in the 991 is just fine. People who aren't 'adapting' to it don't own one in nine out of ten cases. They are speculating about how sour those grapes must be that they can't reach. For the tenth who does own a 991, or could easily but chooses not to because of the electric assist... well, you can't please everyone. Discovering the steering was so good is what pushed me over the top and sold me on the 991 for this purchase.

Gary
Old 10-30-2012, 02:56 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

No stupid advice intended , I got this all wrong, its a language translation thing ,...
No worries. Would've passed on the folding mirrors if I only had three cars
Old 10-30-2012, 03:02 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Nice garage work area. Wish mine looked that way. And that's a very nice project car. We owned a second gen NSX for ten years. Put 140k miles on it and considered it our car-to-be-buried-in until the dealer took it in for service, crashed it, and then refused to pay on the basis that "it could happen to anyone." Lots of anger then, but no more angst. USAA sued their *** and added a low-interest loan to the proceeds to finance our first Carrera, which turned out to be another lovable car.

But I still admire a nice clean NSX like yours.

Gary
That is just an awful story about the demise of your NSX. I would've been homicidal.

Owned the NSX--first yr of production--since new and have done all the service on it myself except timing belts and recent Bilstein swap and O2 sensors for which I needed help from a friend. Found that folks are much more willing to give a hand with the lift and a six-pack available

Spyder

Quick Reply: power steering plus?