Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About the 991, in your opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, I think I can solve the quandary, once and for all, and for everyone. Really, I think I have the perfect opinion that covers everyone’s positives and negatives of the new 991: The new 911 is a beautiful car, inside and out, front and rear. It’s sleek, it’s modern. It even resembles a 911. But is it a beautiful 911? No. Please see the 993 for benchmark. Upright and proud. That’s the 911.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks GREAT! They didnt butcher the design, its still a 911. That works for me.

It just means that there is going to be lots of 997's for sale in the next few years. That works for me!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Overall I like it- looking forward to seeing how it's variants play out. One thing that strikes me about the 991 is the shape of the fender just above the headlights- it vaguely reminds me of shapes I associate more with classic 60's and 70's sports cars- I want to say Ferrari or Jaguar but I can't say for sure.

I agree with comments that the look is very sleek from some angles but tame from others.

I'll be curious how the back seats evolve- having my first kid in just over a month and at some point he'll grow up enough that we'll need more room in the back...
Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I still say it looks like a two door Panamera.

When the Pan came out you could see a little of the 911 in it.

Now, with the 991 coming out, you can see a LOT of the Panamera in it. I'm not happy about that at all.

The 911 is being watered down from it's once iconic status. It's performance may have once again gone up, but in my book it's desirability has gone down.

Phil
Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just figured it out- This is Speed Racer's Porsche!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

geof,

You are right. I am even more all in. I wonder if I can all those options from the mach 5 lol. All kidding aside it is a very cool piece of kit.

Cheers,
Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks nice, but I'm still nervous about that wheelbase. Can't wait until we can drive 'em and see how it worked out.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not excited about it as the more I look at it, the more flaws I see:

1. Front end is disjointed. Running lights don't line up on either side making where they are cut for the front opening looking like a design mistake.
2. Rear tail lights, like the front running lights, don't line up with anything on the back end. It is obvious they went for a little of the Carrera GT/918 look, but more disjointed.
3. Soooo many bright letters on the rear deck. Too many. "P O R S C H E" "911 Carrera" = overkill.
4. Don't like the door panels. They are way too busy and look disjointed like the exterior lights. Look at them carefully and think about where your left leg will be.
5. Don't like the top of dash. The made the sports chrono from a wart to an eye sore.
6. Not crazy about the Panamera styled dash. I actually really like the new dash in the Cayenne that was modeled after the Panamera. This looks less finished/cheaper. I would not want to have anything that looks cheap in a Carrera S that base prices at almost $100K.
7. As one big negative to the 991, the Carrera comes with 19" wheels standard and the Carrera S has 20" wheels standard.

It is not all bad. I like the larger openings and some pf the aggressiveness of the front end. The bigger headlights also look pretty good. The Carrera S also gets better brakes with slightly large rotors and 6-piston calipers up front.

Hope is drives better than it looks.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 08-31-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

This is going to be a tough one for me. I have a deposit on the first allocation slot for the next gen turbo at my dealer. Ever since I sold my 993TT I've been hoping to get back into a P car.

I've been bitten by the Lambo bug after driving a 560-4. Although I know the Turbo will be the more technologically advanced, sure-footed, safer and faster car I wonder if Porsche is breeding out the "fun factor." Some of the visualy aspects of the 991 are really great. Others just make it seem too un-911-like.

I have a lot of thinking to do.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Its a handsome car but...it seems to have lost that classic 911 look carried out from 1965 to the 997s.

To me the whole charm and character of the 911 was that it was that stocky, bugged eyed aggressive "short" wheelbase sports car with that lump hanging off the back end. It always had that look.

Now with the 991 they are trying to stretch that wheelbase out. Yes, you will gain some +'s in handling but aren't you also engineering out what made the 911 a 911?

Its becoming more that GT performance grand tourer and may just be becoming too sleek and low with its longer wheelbase. It may be gaining in performance in certain respects but will it lose that 911 charm?

I may change my mind when I see it in the flesh.

My biggest objection...that Panamera interior and console kills it for me altogehter.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Ylonewolf
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The look seems so familiar

Oh wait I got it

LOL
Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Its a handsome car but...it seems to have lost that classic 911 look carried out from 1965 to the 997s.

To me the whole charm and character of the 911 was that it was that stocky, bugged eyed aggressive "short" wheelbase sports car with that lump hanging off the back end. It always had that look.

Now with the 991 they are trying to stretch that wheelbase out. Yes, you will gain some +'s in handling but aren't you also engineering out what made the 911 a 911?

Its becoming more that GT performance grand tourer and may just be becoming too sleek and low with its longer wheelbase. It may be gaining in performance in certain respects but will it lose that 911 charm?

I may change my mind when I see it in the flesh.

My biggest objection...that Panamera interior and console kills it for me altogehter.
My sentiment x1000. Read my post above, and I think you’ll find that my opinion is exactly yours, in different words. This is a beautiful car, even from the inside. It’s a masterpiece. Technologically speaking, it may render the 997 obsolete the minute it hits the road. My issue, the more I see it, is that I don’t longer feel I am looking at a 911. I am looking at an awesome car, but it’s not my beloved 911. What is it? An Italian exotic? A British classic coach? My 997 is pure 911, that’s all matters to me.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:40 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah - that's a nice re-design of the 911. The blue S used in the web special is very nice. I like the 991 much better in a dark colour. I feel more like getting one than I did with the 996 and 997. But I'd still keep the 993.
However I don't like the engine bay - or what little of it - you can't see much engine. Also, that rear spoiler - not much of a spoiler in terms of looks - but I'm sure it does it's job and the new shape is more efficient in terms of down force. The new sun roof - doesn't work for me either.
Front end, rear end, longer shape - they work nicely. This evolution looks better than the 997 - but the 997 is a great looking car as well - but being a little bias here - I adore the 993 shape. 991 showing some more 993 style with the mirrors.
High tech - love that - new coasting, etc, Porsche technology really gets me going.
For a daily - yeah - dark blue S - can't wait to see it in person and give it a test drive.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:29 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

I went to the website for the 991. After watching most of the videos, which are very nicely done. It is good to see it out on real roads. One thing that I suspected would be the case is the new interior design. Seeing someone sitting in it and driving, the new interior works very well and has a nice look to it. It is not too high and intrusive and will still give the driver that sports car sense.

The technology that Porsche has developed for the new 911 is impressive and I am sure is going to add to the sportiness of 911. I am really looking forward to driving one.

Quick Reply: About the 991, in your opinion...