Sponsored by:

About the 991, in your opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I am sorry, but I am not a Porsche fan boy like some, I say it as I see it and not biased... exterior is 90% there, they've kept the 911 look outside, messed up with rear badging, and only did 20" for marketing (it should have just been an option), but generally it looks good. Interior, they went for cost cutting and to share components with Panamera and totally forgot this is a sports car and created a 2-door Panamera interior!
So your opinion is pure and unbiased and anyone who disagrees with you is a "fan boy"? Hmmmm........ Anyway, aside from the extended console there's not that much difference between the 997.2 interior and the 991. I just don't get what all the flap is about (must be my bias). As for the McLaren interior, it looks like something that would be appropriate for a video game console interface, not a 3/4 million dollar sports car. The car itself does look great in person, however, despite the dash.
Attached Images   
Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
I'm sorry - but i really like it. Be happy to buy one. I drive my Porsche every day and am OK with the luxury. I dont need a Mercedes or a Lexus but I appreciate the mod cons like seat warmers, nav, BT, UAI etc. If it were only for the track, maybe i wouldnt need all that stuff.

Not sure what you mean by catering to Asian customers. Do you think they should be focusing more on Canadian customers and their disdain for non-sportiness interiors?
My car is daily too, I actually don't own another car at all, they can still make it luxurious AND sporty.

About new audience, well, it is true. The demands of differnt markets are different, the Asian market is going to be larger than North America, so things have to be designed to attract such buyers. For instance, the BIGGEST market for A8L (i.e. Long), is in China, by a HUGE MARGIN, and they even make an A6 and A4 Long for China market only! Luxury is the name of the game there and they have responded. Also, the latest advertising shows that they're targeting a larger demographic, and again need to water down things to make non-sports car buyers into the showroom.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

My car is daily too, I actually don't own another car at all, they can still make it luxurious AND sporty.

About new audience, well, it is true. The demands of differnt markets are different, the Asian market is going to be larger than North America, so things have to be designed to attract such buyers. For instance, the BIGGEST market for A8L (i.e. Long), is in China, by a HUGE MARGIN, and they even make an A6 and A4 Long for China market only! Luxury is the name of the game there and they have responded. Also, the latest advertising shows that they're targeting a larger demographic, and again need to water down things to make non-sports car buyers into the showroom.

I thought that was the point of the Panamera...
Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not a fan of the high center console and the doors seem over done. And while the interior could have been better, it certainly wouldn't stop me from getting a 991. Dress it up with some carbon fiber trim and dark colors such as black and it will look plenty sporty.

Heck even the Panamera can be made to look sporty, this Tech Art version does the trick for me.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:26 AM
JamesT7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alexb76,

First the pictures of the new interior in the 991 are with the seats reclined. This gives it an uncommon view. Porsche is trying to show us the potential buyers what the full dash with center console looks like. I am sure when you first see it and sit in it it will feel sporty.

The interiors of the cars you mentioned are not the type of sports cars one would drive everyday to work. Comparing what Audi is doing for the Asian market has no relevance to sports cars. Audi isn't making a R8L. It is just Audi's sedans.

You comment on Porsche's current ads are not to get the every soccer mom to drive a 911 to practice with the kids. It is to demonstrate that if you like performance cars and yes sports cars you don't have to save it for the weekend drives by yourself. If you have seen all of them it is about people appreciating their Porsche's. I like them all, but I can identify with the gentleman getting into his 911 GTS. I have had that exact same feeling after a long day. When I drove my 911 to work most days I always loved the drive home. And honestly wouldn't we all love to have a wife that liked to drive a 911 turbo? Well, may be that is pushing it. Not sure how many of us would like to wake up second to find our 911 gone because your wife drove it to work etc lol.

Porsche isn't saying the 991 is for everyone. They are saying it is for people that appreciate what Porsche brings to the automotive world with the 991. I am Porschephile not because I am blind to Porsche's mistakes but rather for it's engineering and it's quality and for the cars it builds.

Cheers,
Old 08-27-2011, 02:18 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I'm not a fan of the high center console and the doors seem over done. And while the interior could have been better, it certainly wouldn't stop me from getting a 991. Dress it up with some carbon fiber trim and dark colors such as black and it will look plenty sporty.

Heck even the Panamera can be made to look sporty, this Tech Art version does the trick for me.

+1 Black interior with red deviating stitching in a Guards Red or Black 991; I think that would be sporty enough......
Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So your opinion is pure and unbiased and anyone who disagrees with you is a "fan boy"? Hmmmm........ Anyway, aside from the extended console there's not that much difference between the 997.2 interior and the 991. I just don't get what all the flap is about (must be my bias). As for the McLaren interior, it looks like something that would be appropriate for a video game console interface, not a 3/4 million dollar sports car. The car itself does look great in person, however, despite the dash.
Agreed.

Only correction is that the McLaren is nowhere near 3/4 million. Its $230K before options.

The console on the left hand side of the driver is new in the 991 and similar that of the McLaren. I lke it.

The more I see of the 991, the more I like it - damn. I was really hoping I didnt like it that much.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:17 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats exactly right. All car makes, especially high line, are focusing on China where the car is certainly a status symbol. P is no different and frankly it would be stupid not cater to that mkt.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:24 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

991 is a modern interpretation of the 911. 997 is a retro.

The elegance in the interior of a 997 is undeniable. It is functional, simple and well laid out.

The 991 interior looks busier. lots of buttons on the multi level console. The door panel has more curves and sections too.

The rear of 991 is boxier. Reminds me of the futuristic cars from the 80's movies.

I hope to add a 991 to my stable.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by rodsky
Only correction is that the McLaren is nowhere near 3/4 million. Its $230K before options.
Brain fart.....

Should have been 1/4 million
Old 08-27-2011, 01:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i see that a traditional key ignition has been retained. I like that.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
991 is a modern interpretation of the 911. 997 is a retro.

The elegance in the interior of a 997 is undeniable. It is functional, simple and well laid out.

The 991 interior looks busier. lots of buttons on the multi level console. The door panel has more curves and sections too.

The rear of 991 is boxier. Reminds me of the futuristic cars from the 80's movies.

I hope to add a 991 to my stable.
I agree with all your points. Porsche went retro with the 997 because so many felt the 996 was too much revolution. With the 991 they have evolved the 997 into a modern day 911 with mass appeal. Some may forever wish to live in Porsche's past, but Porsche must make cars for the present. IMHO, while not perfect, they've done a very good job with the 991.

I am looking forward to seeing the 991 in person and learning if the car drives as good as it looks.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait... 991...?

We're talking about the Panamera coupe here, right?

Phil
Old 08-27-2011, 04:46 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not sure what you are looking at but the interior is COMPLETELY different than the 997.2. Even the NAV screen is larger. Its a complete 360 from my interior. Most people agree that the exterior is an evolution with subtle changes. This inside will take some time to get use to. Sorry but dont agree with you.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by spourreza
Not sure what you are looking at but the interior is COMPLETELY different than the 997.2. Even the NAV screen is larger. Its a complete 360 from my interior. Most people agree that the exterior is an evolution with subtle changes. This inside will take some time to get use to. Sorry but dont agree with you.
"COMPLETELY different" as in totally, utterly different? (BTW, I think you mean 180 from your interior; 360 puts you back where you started ) Anyway, let's see: 5 gauges and gauge binnacle check, same steering wheel and controls check, AC outlets in same place and similarly shaped check, PCM screen with climate and other controls below check, shifter check, seats check, dash wart check, light controls and key location check, releases for frunk and engine compartment check, foot pedals check, door pulls check, glove box check, trim on the dash check.

Yes, there are differences in detail and some additions like the door treatment and console, but COMPLETELY different? Really? As in, I'm looking at this interior and can't tell it's a Porsche 911?

I guess we just have different ideas of what "completely" means. That's ok. Thing is, the hyperbole around the 991 has become tiresome with people complaining, for example, how much lower the car is (it's not) and carping that the model designation on the rear of the car is terrible and a major departure for Porsche (it's not). Maybe we should stop exaggerating and freaking out over the relatively small details and look at the big picture of how the 991 is really an evolutionary design of the 911, and a damn well done one. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: About the 991, in your opinion...