Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 info from the source!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I also bet that if Porsche builds a GT3 with PDK that it will have zero problems selling.
But I bet you would take the GT1 based engine over the new one if both were mated to the PDK..
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
But I bet you would take the GT1 based engine over the new one if both were mated to the PDK..
Well I'm not so sure about that...my 9A1 engine has been running great the 2.5 years I've had it. Trouble free like most 9A1 engines have been, even in the Cayman Interseries race cars. With all the GT1 RMS/IMS and coolant loss issues I don't have to deal with on the 9A1 engine...I'm really not so sure.

It will really be interesting to see what Porsche does for the new model and what race engine they end up using.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Sure you are sure ;-) But I'm glad the 9A1 is holding up as good as it has

In the meanwhile they're fixing mine LOL.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Well I'm not so sure about that...my 9A1 engine has been running great the 2.5 years I've had it. Trouble free like most 9A1 engines have been, even in the Cayman Interseries race cars. With all the GT1 RMS/IMS and coolant loss issues I don't have to deal with on the 9A1 engine...I'm really not so sure.

It will really be interesting to see what Porsche does for the new model and what race engine they end up using.
Either halfway through this year or next year Porsche will run a 9A1 variant in their race cars.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

I totally understand....however as small as it might be there are those like me in this world that need PDK in a GT3 in order to physically be able to drive a GT3. I also bet that if Porsche builds a GT3 with PDK that it will have zero problems selling.
I have absolutely no problem with Porsche mating a PDK S to a future GT3, it makes a lot of sense, as long as they continue to market a manual tranny option ...

if they dont, it will make my 'upgrade' decision simple ... I wont; but I hope for your sake and the sake of others that want this that they provide the option.

for the record I drove a PDK C2S in Dubai and if it had proper flappy paddles rather than the (initially) non-intuitive buttons I would have 100% loved it!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Either halfway through this year or next year Porsche will run a 9A1 variant in their race cars.
That is essential and good news for future GT3's.

+1. I hope PDK will only be an option..
The proper flappy padel system is an option now right? Should be std..
Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

[QUOTE=TRAKCAR;8263918]That is essential and good news for future GT3's.

+1. I hope PDK will only be an option..
The proper flappy padel system is an option now right? Should be std..[/QUOTE]

its certainly an option, different wheel as I recall ... dont know if it is std, I agree it should be! ...

I found the buttons really confusing especially while trying to drive on an unknown track ... I was constantly making the wrong shift at the wrong time until I realized the one advantage of the button system which is that each button l/r is both an upshift and a downshift unlike some flappy paddles where one side is upshift and the other is down ... once I got that thru my thik skull my love grew for PDK luxury on track ... no more of that heel+toe stuff!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Paddles for PDK is an option on the Carrera and Carrera S but standard with the Carrera GTS and Turbo with PDK.

I have the paddle wheel installed on my Carrera S and it makes a huge difference at the track.

Obviously I've never driven a GT3 with the GT1 engine. I know it is an aweosme sounding engine....what is the attraction to the GT1 engine?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The attraction is just heritage and track worthiness. They can all sound very cool..
I guess you are proving the track worthiness of the 9A1, so you driving a PDK Turbo S with some springs and slicks makes for never have to give a point by again
Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

The attraction is just heritage and track worthiness. They can all sound very cool..
I guess you are proving the track worthiness of the 9A1, so you driving a PDK Turbo S with some springs and slicks makes for never have to give a point by again
Yeah the Turbo S, PDK lowered coilovers at the track would be cool even with all wheel drive! Should be a 2:15-18 car with the right driver.

However for me I'd rather have a GT3RS w/PDK, no options, 6pt harness..that is all.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

There was a guy at Chin last last event (Sebring) in a silver Turbo S; cage, harness

I had to give him the point by every session
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously I've never driven a GT3 with the GT1 engine. I know it is an aweosme sounding engine....what is the attraction to the GT1 engine?
Words cannot describe it. One must drive one, and drive one on the track, to really understand the magic behind this combination of Mezger engine and Getrag gearbox. It is something that has been through decades of mechanical refinement like a bottle of fine wine, compares to today's electronic technologies that are brewed from the computer desk.

The collectible market always rewards the mechanical marvels with racing predigrees. The current GT3-line really has the right ingredients as collectible in the long run.

With the trend of more expensive car prices and the devaluing of currencies -- it is almost guaranteed that the future 991 - even just an averagely loaded Carrera S model - will cost as much (if not more) that a current GT3. I myself am just glad that I have my 997.2 GT3 in my garage, and no regrets of spending my money on it.

Regards
Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now I am trying to decide whether to spend thousands of dollars to TIG weld or otherwise fasten the coolant lines in my 997.1 GT3 Mezger engine to prevent a possible catastrophic on-track failure, as has been reported on numerous occasions with these engines. I love my car and the engine is its best feature but it has its own warts. I'm sure that the 9A1 will develop its own pattern failures after many miles of hard, track use but we don't yet know what they will be. La plus ca change, la plus ca meme chose.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

With the introduction of the 996 Porsche phased out the air-cooled engine. Many of the enthusiasts saw this coupled with many other changes as the death of Porsche and many still consider the 993 as the last 911.

This left Porsche with several issues. One of which was that they wanted to continue to race in production based serieses but they knew the piece of **** M96 wasn't going to cut it (bout the only thing it cut was production costs). Enter the 996 MkI GT3, the ONLY reason that existed was to comply to homologation rules.

To the enthusiasts it meant that they once again had an opportunity to purchase a "true" Porsche with a true dry-sump motor, one who's block had been raced for many years.

Homologation rules are the reason the GT3/RS exists and the reason the future 4.0 RSLE needs to see the light of day. Also the same reason that future GT3s/RS's will have a tried/raced powertrain.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
With the trend of more expensive car prices and the devaluing of currencies -- it is almost guaranteed that the future 991 - even just an averagely loaded Carrera S model - will cost as much (if not more) that a current GT3. I myself am just glad that I have my 997.2 GT3 in my garage, and no regrets of spending my money on it.

Regards
have you seen prices of C2S, GTS etc. they are GT3 prices now!

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 info from the source!