Steering wheel options

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 06:04 AM
AJ1974
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel options

Hi all,

I have a 2017 PDK Carera S with a GT steering wheel (without multifunction) and looking to include the multifunction. I have found a 958.2 steering wheel with multifunction.

It's an easy switch to bolt on the 958.2 steering wheel, but is it also possible to move the multifunction to the GT steering wheel? I'm keen to keep the smaller diameter of the 991.2 steering wheel.

Old 07-25-2024, 07:50 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. The key component to ensure compatibility is the control module. That's the little black box that the wiring harness plugs into inside of the steering wheel. That is the interface for all the steering wheel controls which include all of the multi-function controls, PDK shifters (in your case), drive mode button, and heating (if you have it). What I have seen is that the control module has to be compatibly with YOUR vehicle, otherwise you have to get it programmed by a dealer (if you can find one to do it). I just don't know if the control modules that are part of the 958.2 steering wheels are fully compatible with the 991.2 even though they are from the same years.
The following users liked this post:
AJ1974 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 07:54 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 205 Posts

These are sold on EBay and there are instruction videos on this site.

I have thought about adding steering wheel controls but decided against the risk. I have developed an appreciation of the simplicity and the feel of this wheel is unparalleled. If the phone rings, I just tap the screen.

Welcome to Rennlist. Search is a pain but there is tons of info here.

Bud Taylor (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 10:21 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default I agree

There is something bespoke and purpose driven about the sport wheel.

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
These are sold on EBay and there are instruction videos on this site.

I have thought about adding steering wheel controls but decided against the risk. I have developed an appreciation of the simplicity and the feel of this wheel is unparalleled. If the phone rings, I just tap the screen.

Welcome to Rennlist. Search is a pain but there is tons of info here.

Old 07-26-2024, 11:56 AM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1383...ispreloading=1

There is a a lot more to it than just switching wheels. The interface box in the wheel must be correct for the switches you choose and then you may need an activation code for the steering wheel control module which is a separate device not inside the steering wheel. I was successful using the parts from a Macan steering wheel then loading an online VIN specific activation code with a Bi-directional scanner.

Old 07-27-2024, 06:13 AM
Rosie39j
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I put a 991.2 multifunction wheel in my 991.1. Great upgrade, worth it bc it’s the focus of car when driving. Seller of wheel sent it without the control module, so I bought one new from Porsche then the seller found it and sent it, so I’ve still got the new Porsche control module. $238 part and they won’t take it back. Happy to send it to anyone who wants it if they’ll pay shipping. You’d have to research the details to see if it works for your application. Pic attached.

Tier1Terrier (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosie39j
I put a 991.2 multifunction wheel in my 991.1. Great upgrade, worth it bc it’s the focus of car when driving. Seller of wheel sent it without the control module, so I bought one new from Porsche then the seller found it and sent it, so I’ve still got the new Porsche control module. $238 part and they won’t take it back. Happy to send it to anyone who wants it if they’ll pay shipping. You’d have to research the details to see if it works for your application. Pic attached.

95B.959.256.F

That is the exact part number of the one I used for my car as well. The only caution I would have for the OP is that I know this part worked with my vehicle which is a 991.2 C2S but mine is manual and has sport chrono and no steering wheel heater. The potential issue I see with anyone doing this upgrade is that unless the module is already programmed to the same configuration as your vehicle, then dealer programming may be required. But that IS definitely the same part that worked for me.

Old 07-28-2024, 11:27 AM
slowrey
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosie39j

I'd love this for my car, however do you know the configuration of the car it came from? Mine is 2017 C2, PDK, Sport Chrono
Old 07-28-2024, 08:11 PM
Rosie39j
Rennlist Member

Good to meet you Sean - hope it works for you! If not pass it along to the next Rennlister!
Old 07-29-2024, 05:51 AM
AJ1974
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to give you an update on my recent steering wheel modification. I swapped the GT steering wheel for a standard non-GT version with multifunction controls. Initially, I encountered some issues with the airbag. A scan on the ODP port indicated a short circuit on the grounding of the airbag. However, after reseating the airbag a few times, the error was resolved.

While I appreciate the added functionality of the multifunction controls, the larger steering wheel feels somewhat awkward to me. It might just be my OCD kicking in, but I'm considering transferring the multifunction components to my original GT steering wheel.

Could you provide any guidance or advice on how to safely and effectively make this transfer? Any tips on ensuring the airbag system remains functional and avoiding potential errors would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:38 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

With the help of Wayne Smith, tomorrow I'll be swapping my 991.1 TTS Sport Design steering wheel for a 991.2 GT Multifunction wheel using the modules from gpsadapter (https://gpsadapter.us/?gad_source=1&...saAt7-EALw_wcB). Check his site out for the modules you can use to make the swaps. I'll let you know how mine goes.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:50 AM
Rosie39j
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
With the help of Wayne Smith, tomorrow I'll be swapping my 991.1 TTS Sport Design steering wheel for a 991.2 GT Multifunction wheel using the modules from gpsadapter (https://gpsadapter.us/?gad_source=1&...saAt7-EALw_wcB). Check his site out for the modules you can use to make the swaps. I'll let you know how mine goes.
great change - you’re gonna love it. I did the same and gps adapter was spot on.

Old 07-29-2024, 09:54 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ1974
Hi all,

I have a 2017 PDK Carera S with a GT steering wheel (without multifunction) and looking to include the multifunction. I have found a 958.2 steering wheel with multifunction.

It's an easy switch to bolt on the 958.2 steering wheel, but is it also possible to move the multifunction to the GT steering wheel? I'm keen to keep the smaller diameter of the 991.2 steering wheel.
I did this with my 718 Boxster. There is an adapter and it requires dealer coding but can be done. I went from a regular steering wheel to the sport GT wheel with heat.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:37 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Didn't work for me. Dummy me bought a manual transmission multifunction GT wheel thinking I'd be able to swap the PDK paddles into the MT wheel. No can do. The steering wheel case with paddles are molded in.

So, anyone looking for a GT multifunction wheel (with heat if you are so equipped), airbag, and gpsadapter modules to go from a 991.1 Sport Design wheel to a GT multifunction wheel, I'll be posting this kit for sale soon.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel options