Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the RR Racing Coilover kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 11:36 AM
TangoUniform
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Anyone have the RR Racing Coilover kit?

I'm looking to lower my car and am leaning towards the coilover conversion versus the lowering springs. The RR Racing coilover conversion kit looks intriguing with the fully articulating upper mount, but I haven't found much real-world info on them. Anyone using this kit?

https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-Coilover-Conversion-Kit-for-Porsche-991-p/991scnvk01.htm
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 01:41 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Still active thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1298...onversion.html

The Rennlist search is terrible, I would suggest using Google and adding “site:rennlist.com” with your other search terms.
Old 06-05-2024, 03:04 PM
TangoUniform
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Still active thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1298...onversion.html

The Rennlist search is terrible, I would suggest using Google and adding “site:rennlist.com” with your other search terms.
No I've read that entire thread and any other on here. There just aren't many real world reviews of this kit besides from the folks that made it.
Old 06-05-2024, 04:45 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoUniform
No I've read that entire thread and any other on here. There just aren't many real world reviews of this kit besides from the folks that made it.
It does look like a nice kit and it's kind of disheartening that there aren't more in the wild. FWIW Elephant Racing also makes a kit and theirs works with FAL, if that matters to you. They were super responsive via email to me. I have not purchased anything yet however.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:57 PM
davidnyc
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

In same boat.... I want to keep electronic suspension and like what RR says.... either buy one of these conversion kits ($1700) or go tractive ($9K). I may be the guinea pig.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:33 PM
TangoUniform
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by davidnyc
In same boat.... I want to keep electronic suspension and like what RR says.... either buy one of these conversion kits ($1700) or go tractive ($9K). I may be the guinea pig.
I just pulled the trigger yesterday so I'll post a review once I get them installed.
The following users liked this post:
RxPorsche (06-17-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 11:09 PM
prsmithjr
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am about halfway through install and will report back.
The following 2 users liked this post by prsmithjr:
cbredesen (06-12-2024), RxPorsche (06-17-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 02:05 AM
ddaudi
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can the RR kit be used on a 991.2 with both PDCC and FAL??
Old 06-16-2024, 09:50 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by ddaudi
Can the RR kit be used on a 991.2 with both PDCC and FAL??
Does not work with FAL. It's a shame they don't say that on their site.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1298...l#post18196651
Old 06-27-2024, 12:06 AM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by prsmithjr
I am about halfway through install and will report back.
How's the install going? Any pics of the actual kit? What spring rates did you go with?
Old 06-27-2024, 12:36 AM
prsmithjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speed2k
How's the install going? Any pics of the actual kit? What spring rates did you go with?
Installed but haven’t driven it yet. Made some other changes (Tarett LCAs and adjustable tie rods). Getting aligned and corner balanced next week and will report back after. Went with the middle option which are 300/600.

Fronts are Eibach J/N 0700.250.0300
Rears are Eibach H/X 0700.250.0600

I’ll take some pics when back at the car. Install was fairly straightforward outside the expected and minor wrestling match getting towers in/out.

Last edited by prsmithjr; 06-27-2024 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:58 PM
cozmo kraemer
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I have been thinking about this kit as well. Trying to decide what to do first, this or wheels. Will probably make a move on the suspension before fall though. I would be interested to hear any feedback from those that do install.
Old 07-01-2024, 03:47 PM
davidnyc
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Installed but haven’t driven it yet. Made some other changes (Tarett LCAs and adjustable tie rods). Getting aligned and corner balanced next week and will report back after. Went with the middle option which are 300/600.

Fronts are Eibach J/N 0700.250.0300
Rears are Eibach H/X 0700.250.0600

I’ll take some pics when back at the car. Install was fairly straightforward outside the expected and minor wrestling match getting towers in/out.
Any updates?
Old 07-03-2024, 10:16 PM
prsmithjr
Rennlist Member

Any updates?
Picked up the car today from indy. had an hour drive home on varied roads - stop & go, highway, rough and smooth surfaces. Also had a 30m go on a familiar loop near my house where I can open it up a bit more. Initial impressions are positive….

First, I should call out that the RR Racing coilover kit was not installed on its own. I also installed Tarett LCAs and tie rods at the same time and I had installed DSC Sport controller about 50 miles before the suspension hardware. Car is a 2016 991.1 GTS manual with PASM (obv), no PDCC, no other suspension changes. running OEM center locks with Michelin PS4S.

Second, I chose to do the installation myself bc I have the tools and a lift and find it therapeutic. I sent it to SST in Connecticut so they could grade my homework and do an alignment + corner balance and bring down to GT3 ride height. As an aside, if in the area, SST is excellent.

Front camber is -2.7, 0 toe. Rear is -2.8 with .34 total toe. Prior to installing all of this I was running Tarett camber plates and probably at -2 front camber.

Regarding the installation, I found it to be quite straightforward but it helps having a lift and the right tools. Took me a full day but I was taking my time checking and rechecking things. Also, It would be much faster if only doing the RR coilover kit. Rafi (RR owner) was extremely helpful pre and post purchase answering all installation questions.

Regarding the handling characteristics, it’s difficult for me to isolate the benefits of just the RR racing kit - especially with no track time - but overall I’m very happy with the combined upgrades.

The wider track from LCAs and tie rods added steering weight and turn in sharpness. Monoballs meaningfully reduced any slop. It feels more planted and I feel more connected to what the car is doing.

DSC is magical and prior to installing the suspension hardware I was already impressed by how much flatter it was both in corners and under accel/decel. The higher spring rates from the RR kit are noticeable in higher g turns. Tough for me to comment on benefits of the articulating perch at this point but it does emulate the GT3 design so there must be something to it, but I’m not an engineer and, tbh, don’t know when or if I should expect to notice it.

All things considered, I would purchase again and am quite happy. It is a quality product and it shows in the design, manufacturing and ease of install. I like the lowered height and the stiffer springs as well as the adjustability.

The following 3 users liked this post by prsmithjr:
911T4ME (07-03-2024), cbredesen (07-03-2024), Tier1Terrier (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 11:17 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Picked up the car today from indy. had an hour drive home on varied roads - stop & go, highway, rough and smooth surfaces. Also had a 30m go on a familiar loop near my house where I can open it up a bit more. Initial impressions are positive….

First, I should call out that the RR Racing coilover kit was not installed on its own. I also installed Tarett LCAs and tie rods at the same time and I had installed DSC Sport controller about 50 miles before the suspension hardware. Car is a 2016 991.1 GTS manual with PASM (obv), no PDCC, no other suspension changes. running OEM center locks with Michelin PS4S.

Second, I chose to do the installation myself bc I have the tools and a lift and find it therapeutic. I sent it to SST in Connecticut so they could grade my homework and do an alignment + corner balance and bring down to GT3 ride height. As an aside, if in the area, SST is excellent.

Front camber is -2.7, 0 toe. Rear is -2.8 with .34 total toe. Prior to installing all of this I was running Tarett camber plates and probably at -2 front camber.

Regarding the installation, I found it to be quite straightforward but it helps having a lift and the right tools. Took me a full day but I was taking my time checking and rechecking things. Also, It would be much faster if only doing the RR coilover kit. Rafi (RR owner) was extremely helpful pre and post purchase answering all installation questions.

Regarding the handling characteristics, it’s difficult for me to isolate the benefits of just the RR racing kit - especially with no track time - but overall I’m very happy with the combined upgrades.

The wider track from LCAs and tie rods added steering weight and turn in sharpness. Monoballs meaningfully reduced any slop. It feels more planted and I feel more connected to what the car is doing.

DSC is magical and prior to installing the suspension hardware I was already impressed by how much flatter it was both in corners and under accel/decel. The higher spring rates from the RR kit are noticeable in higher g turns. Tough for me to comment on benefits of the articulating perch at this point but it does emulate the GT3 design so there must be something to it, but I’m not an engineer and, tbh, don’t know when or if I should expect to notice it.

All things considered, I would purchase again and am quite happy. It is a quality product and it shows in the design, manufacturing and ease of install. I like the lowered height and the stiffer springs as well as the adjustability.
Nice, sounds positive so far. Any pics showing the ride height you ended up at? Is there more adjustment range to go lower?

Quick Reply: Anyone have the RR Racing Coilover kit?