Sponsored by:

DIY: Program PSE at Home (ThinkDiag+)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 08:00 PM
David Gz
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
If you can hear the valve open at startup then close after startup process is done then your valves are working. You're still missing something in the programming. You don't need to have the car running to test this, if you have the ignition open with the car off and turn the valves on/off you can hear the click in the back even with the car off. I'd go to DME/actuation and looks for exhaust flap and turn them on from there so you can confirm that you hear the click over. Then go back and test the same with the button. It's very stange that the light on the button comes on but nothing happens with valve unless you have the button actually controlling something else but the fact that the PSE button light turns on when you turn on sport would lead me to believe that the button is actually mapped to PSE. Make sure that the PSE button isn't mapped to something else.
Thank you for the helpful replies with all of your suggestions. Here is what my son and I found:

1. After jacking the rear of the car, I found that the passenger side vacuum tube was disconnected from the actuator valve. I pressed it fully back on. I thought success was at hand.
2. I checked that both tubes were connected and I checked that there were no breaks in the vacuum tubing as well as I could without removing anything.
3. Reconnecting the vacuum tube did not make any difference. There was still no change in sound.
4. We turned the key to the on position (not started) and activated the exhaust valves with the PSE button. We could hear a clicking sound in the engine compartment. The exhaust valves did not move.
5. We actuated the valves with the ThinkDiag and we heard the same noise as with the PSE button. The valves still did not move.
6. I was able to manually move both valves by pressing the linkage with my hand. The driver side was very squeaky and gradually became easier to move. It sounded like the valves had not moved for some time.
7. To test the valve closure; I started the car then held the driver side valve closed. I was able to close off the flow to the inner exhaust pipe by actuating the valve. The inner exhaust pipe would flow after releasing the valve.

Does anyone have any further suggestions to make the exhaust actuators function?
Old 06-15-2024, 08:17 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gz
Thank you for the helpful replies with all of your suggestions. Here is what my son and I found:

1. After jacking the rear of the car, I found that the passenger side vacuum tube was disconnected from the actuator valve. I pressed it fully back on. I thought success was at hand.
2. I checked that both tubes were connected and I checked that there were no breaks in the vacuum tubing as well as I could without removing anything.
3. Reconnecting the vacuum tube did not make any difference. There was still no change in sound.
4. We turned the key to the on position (not started) and activated the exhaust valves with the PSE button. We could hear a clicking sound in the engine compartment. The exhaust valves did not move.
5. We actuated the valves with the ThinkDiag and we heard the same noise as with the PSE button. The valves still did not move.
6. I was able to manually move both valves by pressing the linkage with my hand. The driver side was very squeaky and gradually became easier to move. It sounded like the valves had not moved for some time.
7. To test the valve closure; I started the car then held the driver side valve closed. I was able to close off the flow to the inner exhaust pipe by actuating the valve. The inner exhaust pipe would flow after releasing the valve.

Does anyone have any further suggestions to make the exhaust actuators function?
If the valves are clicking with the button and when using the thinkdiag software then I think that part is good. You probably have a leak in the vaccum system going to the valve. Remember all the valve is doing is directing vacuum to that diaphram so if you don't have vacumm due to a leak or have a busted valve that isn't actuating with vacuum is applied your won't hear a difference. I'd go to auto part of northern tool and buy a cheap vacuum hand pump and connect that directly to each valve and see if they operate properly. If that works you can use the same vacum hand pump and connect it to the vacuum line coming from motor to the valves. Start the car and you should see HG vacuum on the hand pump guage. The Vacuum should go from 0 to some vaccum number. Not sure how much but I'd guess somewhere from 10 to 15 hg of vacuum. If you don't see any vacuum there with PSE button on or off then you have a leak between there and the motor.

https://www.harborfreight.com/mityva...UaAr6kEALw_wcB

The following users liked this post:
David Gz (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 08:21 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSVan
I've got a C4S w/o PSE and I was successfully able to code right button 2 to sports exhaust and this now works well, also in combo with Sports/Sports+ modes. I then coded right button 3 to Auto Start/Stop with the purchase/install of a new switch kit. The reason I put button 3 to Auto Start/Stop is this is the factory layout.

However, the Auto Start/Stop function no longer works. When Auto Start/Stop is on, the green circle in the dashboard comes on, and the engine doesn't stop (this is, of course, in Normal mode after car has warmed up). Pushing the Auto Start/Stop switch removes the green circle, so the light function seems fine, but not programming. I've driven around a bit to verify it wasn't temperature, etc.

The battery is fully charged and new.

To relocate Auto Start/Stop to right button 3, this was my approach:
Air Conditioning
Code/Brush Hiding
Brush/Hidden Modified
BKE Key Field Assignment (Button 3, right side = Start/Stop system, where default was not assigned)
Write Code

I also checked Coding Byte 1 under the DME for start/stop and it was enabled.

I backed out the programming to go back to default (switch 2 Auto Start/Stop with no manual control of exhaust valves). That is, default, but this still didn't get the Auto Start/Stop to work.

Any suggestions to get Auto Start/Stop to work again?
Never used ***, but in the VW, the engine needs to be up to temp before *** will work.

Saw you said driving around, did it reach 160F and up? Might want to try that first.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 06-15-2024 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:13 PM
RGSVan
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Never used ***, but in the VW, the engine needs to be up to temp before *** will work.

Saw you said driving around, did it reach 160F and up? Might want to try that first.
Yup - drove it while over 160 F and no ***.
Old 06-16-2024, 02:02 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Yup - drove it while over 160 F and no ***.
Hmmm, will have to try it next week. I haven't used this since I got the car 8yrs ago.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:52 AM
RGSVan
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm, will have to try it next week. I haven't used this since I got the car 8yrs ago.
Resolved! Devil's in the details, aka read the f$%& manual. I had A/C on at lowest temperature, and this prevented Auto Start/Stop from operating. Turned off the A/C and voila - all good/all functioning now.

With Thinkdiag, I've now done:
Non-PSE exhaust valve control (PSE 'Lite') on right button 2
Relocate Auto Start/Stop to right button 3 (with purchase of complete switch console kit just to get exhaust switch - ugh)
Coolant temp remap
GT3 steering
SC high brightness illumination
Increase Comfort Front Entry Seat Fore/Aft Adjustment
Emergency braking flashing
Overrev report (0.5 sec total calculated time at limiter (range 1) / nothing on other ranges)

What a great device!
The following 2 users liked this post by RGSVan:
jesm (06-18-2024), RwdConnor (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:00 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Resolved! Devil's in the details, aka read the f$%& manual. I had A/C on at lowest temperature, and this prevented Auto Start/Stop from operating. Turned off the A/C and voila - all good/all functioning now.

With Thinkdiag, I've now done:
Non-PSE exhaust valve control (PSE 'Lite') on right button 2
Relocate Auto Start/Stop to right button 3 (with purchase of complete switch console kit just to get exhaust switch - ugh)
Coolant temp remap
GT3 steering
SC high brightness illumination
Increase Comfort Front Entry Seat Fore/Aft Adjustment
Emergency braking flashing
Overrev report (0.5 sec total calculated time at limiter (range 1) / nothing on other ranges)

What a great device!

Congrats!
Old 06-19-2024, 04:03 AM
David Gz
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
If the valves are clicking with the button and when using the thinkdiag software then I think that part is good. You probably have a leak in the vaccum system going to the valve. Remember all the valve is doing is directing vacuum to that diaphram so if you don't have vacumm due to a leak or have a busted valve that isn't actuating with vacuum is applied your won't hear a difference. I'd go to auto part of northern tool and buy a cheap vacuum hand pump and connect that directly to each valve and see if they operate properly. If that works you can use the same vacum hand pump and connect it to the vacuum line coming from motor to the valves. Start the car and you should see HG vacuum on the hand pump guage. The Vacuum should go from 0 to some vaccum number. Not sure how much but I'd guess somewhere from 10 to 15 hg of vacuum. If you don't see any vacuum there with PSE button on or off then you have a leak between there and the motor.

https://www.harborfreight.com/mityva...UaAr6kEALw_wcB
I bought the vacuum hand pump and will check the valves and the vacuum line. I will update with what I find for future reference.
wkearney99 (06-21-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 01:49 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

My PSE system finally came in last week for my 981 CS. I installed the wiring that I needed to add, and I put the new center console in that came with the PSE kit. I ordered a Thinkdiag just to be able to program in the new PSE button. I installed the new button below the Auto Start/Stop button, so I didn't have to program the move the Auto Start/Stop button. I have an iPhone, so I just hooked up the Thinkdiag and did some basic system diagnostics to make sure it was working. I didn't try the coding since I didn't have an Android device connected to it yet. I also don't have the actual PSE exhaust mufflers hooked up yet, just the wire and vacuum line (which I have plugged on the end that will hook up to the new valves).

So here is the weird thing: This morning while driving to work, I decided to push the Auto Start/Stop button (second button on right), just to make sure that was still working with the new unit in the center console. It is located in the same spot as the old one was. The button didn't work. It didn't light up or show up on my dash. I pushed the Sport button (top left) and that lit up and showed up on the dash, so I figured the new control must be hooked up correctly. My spoiler button (top right) also worked. Just for the heck of it, I them pushed the new PSE button which is located in the third spot on the right side that was previously empty, and it is controlling my Auto Start/Stop function (light and dash symbol)! So, I will switch those two buttons so it will look like it would if the PSE came from the factory like most people are doing. What I don't understand is, how did it move the Auto Start/Stop button without me doing any programming? Has this happened to anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I would rather have the buttons in the factory location for the PSE, I just don't understand how it moved by itself.
Old 07-11-2024, 02:13 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
My PSE system finally came in last week for my 981 CS. I installed the wiring that I needed to add, and I put the new center console in that came with the PSE kit. I ordered a Thinkdiag just to be able to program in the new PSE button. I installed the new button below the Auto Start/Stop button, so I didn't have to program the move the Auto Start/Stop button. I have an iPhone, so I just hooked up the Thinkdiag and did some basic system diagnostics to make sure it was working. I didn't try the coding since I didn't have an Android device connected to it yet. I also don't have the actual PSE exhaust mufflers hooked up yet, just the wire and vacuum line (which I have plugged on the end that will hook up to the new valves).

So here is the weird thing: This morning while driving to work, I decided to push the Auto Start/Stop button (second button on right), just to make sure that was still working with the new unit in the center console. It is located in the same spot as the old one was. The button didn't work. It didn't light up or show up on my dash. I pushed the Sport button (top left) and that lit up and showed up on the dash, so I figured the new control must be hooked up correctly. My spoiler button (top right) also worked. Just for the heck of it, I them pushed the new PSE button which is located in the third spot on the right side that was previously empty, and it is controlling my Auto Start/Stop function (light and dash symbol)! So, I will switch those two buttons so it will look like it would if the PSE came from the factory like most people are doing. What I don't understand is, how did it move the Auto Start/Stop button without me doing any programming? Has this happened to anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I would rather have the buttons in the factory location for the PSE, I just don't understand how it moved by itself.
Hey there!

I actually just helped a gentleman last night in programming his PSE to his 991 and had the same problem with his, that you're having. First and foremost, we can't fix anything until you get an android device capable of running actual code. BUT, for the time being, I'll explain why this is happening. When you order a new switch panel from Suncoast, while yes, you provide your vin, these consoles are made to fit tons of different cars, with different programing. For example, last night when I was helping out another member, while going through his BKE key assignment, it seems like things were all out of wack. (not assigned or even assigned to the right location) What you're going to have to do, when you get the android, is go in and verify that everything is assigned correctly based on your new switch panel. Also, it's not too difficult (though nerve-racking) to move the keys around without completely dismantling the console. (remove the chrome trim using a small plastic pick, then you can pop the button up remembering the small acrylic led light thing)

Let me know if you have any more questions
Old 07-11-2024, 02:46 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

hey, have you guys activated multifunction steering wheels for manual cars without multifunction?
Old 07-11-2024, 02:55 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joec500
hey, have you guys activated multifunction steering wheels for manual cars without multifunction?
If you also replaced the module that has the hardware for MF (i think 958-652-568-14), I think it's just coding.
https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...n-coding-guide

edit: nm you said manual :P not sure if it's the same. never researched a manual.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 07-11-2024 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 06:38 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

If you also replaced the module that has the hardware for MF (i think 958-652-568-14), I think it's just coding.
https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...n-coding-guide

edit: nm you said manual :P not sure if it's the same. never researched a manual.
Yah with the PDK it just works, I have the GPS adapter and the module. I think I need to find an activation code.
Old 07-11-2024, 07:07 PM
Jim Herrmann
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Connor is the man he helper me yesterday held my hand and walked me through all the ups and downs and explained the process very well. If anyone needs to barrow a Think Diag and or Tablet to do some coding just let me know.
RwdConnor (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 07:31 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Hey there!

I actually just helped a gentleman last night in programming his PSE to his 991 and had the same problem with his, that you're having. First and foremost, we can't fix anything until you get an android device capable of running actual code. BUT, for the time being, I'll explain why this is happening. When you order a new switch panel from Suncoast, while yes, you provide your vin, these consoles are made to fit tons of different cars, with different programing. For example, last night when I was helping out another member, while going through his BKE key assignment, it seems like things were all out of wack. (not assigned or even assigned to the right location) What you're going to have to do, when you get the android, is go in and verify that everything is assigned correctly based on your new switch panel. Also, it's not too difficult (though nerve-racking) to move the keys around without completely dismantling the console. (remove the chrome trim using a small plastic pick, then you can pop the button up remembering the small acrylic led light thing)

Let me know if you have any more questions
So I got an Android phone to do the programming. I got the PSE button looking like it is working. (I don’t have the mufflers on to know for sure, but the lights are acting correctly).
On the left side I set the 2nd button to SportPlus and the third button to PSM off. Neither of those two buttons are working. If I push the 4th button then it deactivates PSM and it and the 5th LED lights up. I set the 4th and 5th buttons to “not assigned “ but 4 still controls the PSM. I would leave it there but that would mean an empty button above it which looks stupid. Am I missing a step somewhere?
Also, I did code SportsPlus button available.

Quick Reply: DIY: Program PSE at Home (ThinkDiag+)