Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Program PSE at Home (ThinkDiag+)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 04:14 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts
Default DIY: Program PSE at Home (ThinkDiag+)

Today i have successfully coded the Porsche Sport Exhaust function to my 2014 Carrera S (Without PSE) using only the ThinkDiag OBD reader and an Android tablet.

Before i go deeper, i just want to mention that these are the basic instructions for enabling PSE to you 991.1 S car (with factory valves). The Non S (3.4) does not have all the changeover valves or plumbing for this job, thats a whole over topic. Please use caution when using this tool.

(Scroll to bottom for coding)

Here is the new control panel for adding the button. Let me mention, that a "code" provided from suncoast is not required to do this. (I didn't even receive one)
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...X1CONSOLE.html

ThinkDiag is a VERY handy little tool that allows you to take complete control over the coding features of your car. There's an entire thread dedicated to the findings from members, I would advise checking that out! https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1384...iag-magic.html

From what i have learned, coding the PSE is very easy and does NOT require a trip to the dealer or an Indy shop. The Button on the control panel can be assigned to where ever you want, though i prefer stock location. Thinkdiag allows you to set up any button configuration you want. Say you wanted the exhaust button on the left side under PSM for example, you can do it. If you have a S without the actual PSE center muffler, this can still work and you will have a louder exhaust with a click of the button! (assuming you add the actual button)

On to the programing

1. Install you new switch panel if you got one
2. Boot/connect your ThinkDiag+ to the car
3. Air Conditioning -> Code/Brush -> Brush/hidden Modified -> Coding -> Key Field Coding Value Keypad - - Sport Exhaust Flap Available = Yes (Default+No)
4. Air Conditioning -> Code/Brush -> Brush/hidden Modified -> BKE Key Field Assignment (Button 2, Right side = Sport Exhaust) (Note: This is where ever you put the exhaust button if you bought the suncoast kit, Right side button 2 is the OEM placement)
5. DME -> Code/Brush Hiding -> Brush/Hidden Modified -> Coding -> Coding Byte 1 -- Solenoid switchover valve for exhaust flaps = YES (Default=No)

Once completed, you should take the key out, put it back in, start the car and verify that you have successfully coded the PSE button. Youll hear the difference. (Wait for the cold start to finish)
The following 4 users liked this post by RwdConnor:
Catharpin (05-29-2024), IRunalot (05-28-2024), MingusDew (05-27-2024), thegenius (05-28-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 05:06 PM
David Gz
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is great. How do you recode the start stop button once the position is overridden with the PSE button?
Old 05-27-2024, 05:11 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Gz
This is great. How do you recode the start stop button once the position is overridden with the PSE button?
So thats the one thing that im not 100% on because i bought the new control panel from Suncoast, so i have the button.

If you drive in sport, the auto start stop is automatically turned off. If you drive in normal, theres a chance it could be on (If you leave it ON before coding)

My recommendation would be to first turn the auto start/stop off, THEN do the BKE coding assignment. With my car, no matter what, it always remembered to keep it off after turning the car off and back on again.
(If you use the start/stop feature, then be sure to keep it on!)
Old 05-27-2024, 06:25 PM
David Gz
Intermediate

I was about to order the control panel from Suncoast, so your post has perfect timing.

I drive in normal mode in the morning since I have quite a bit of traffic. I always run with start-stop off; the button is pressed and the red light on the button is always illuminated. I will follow your instructions and press the start-stop button before programming.

I will still install the start-stop button. I would be nice to activate it even if I never turn it off.

Did you use the wireless scanner like the one below?
https://mythinkcar.com/products/muca...46687856099631

Old 05-27-2024, 06:46 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Gz
I was about to order the control panel from Suncoast, so your post has perfect timing.

I drive in normal mode in the morning since I have quite a bit of traffic. I always run with start-stop off; the button is pressed and the red light on the button is always illuminated. I will follow your instructions and press the start-stop button before programming.

I will still install the start-stop button. I would be nice to activate it even if I never turn it off.

Did you use the wireless scanner like the one below?
https://mythinkcar.com/products/muca...46687856099631
I used this one
Amazon Amazon

​​​​​​​let me know how it works!
Old 05-27-2024, 07:16 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Today i have successfully coded the Porsche Sport Exhaust function to my 2014 Carrera S (Without PSE) using only the ThinkDiag OBD reader and an Android tablet.

Before i go deeper, i just want to mention that these are the basic instructions for enabling PSE to you 991.1 S car (with factory valves). The Non S (3.4) does not have all the changeover valves or plumbing for this job, thats a whole over topic. Please use caution when using this tool.

(Scroll to bottom for coding)

Here is the new control panel for adding the button. Let me mention, that a "code" provided from suncoast is not required to do this. (I didn't even receive one)
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...X1CONSOLE.html

ThinkDiag is a VERY handy little tool that allows you to take complete control over the coding features of your car. There's an entire thread dedicated to the findings from members, I would advise checking that out! https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1384...iag-magic.html

From what i have learned, coding the PSE is very easy and does NOT require a trip to the dealer or an Indy shop. The Button on the control panel can be assigned to where ever you want, though i prefer stock location. Thinkdiag allows you to set up any button configuration you want. Say you wanted the exhaust button on the left side under PSM for example, you can do it. If you have a S without the actual PSE center muffler, this can still work and you will have a louder exhaust with a click of the button! (assuming you add the actual button)

On to the programing

1. Install you new switch panel if you got one
2. Boot/connect your ThinkDiag+ to the car
3. Air Conditioning -> Code/Brush -> Brush/hidden Modified -> Coding -> Key Field Coding Value Keypad - - Sport Exhaust Flap Available = Yes (Default+No)
4. Air Conditioning -> Code/Brush -> Brush/hidden Modified -> BKE Key Field Assignment (Button 2, Right side = Sport Exhaust) (Note: This is where ever you put the exhaust button if you bought the suncoast kit, Right side button 2 is the OEM placement)
5. DME -> Code/Brush Hiding -> Brush/Hidden Modified -> Coding -> Coding Byte 1 -- Solenoid switchover valve for exhaust flaps = YES (Default=No)

Once completed, you should take the key out, put it back in, start the car and verify that you have successfully coded the PSE button. Youll hear the difference. (Wait for the cold start to finish)
I did the same and it's working perfectly with the non PSE rear muffler. I programmed it to the auto start/stop button for now since that function stays in the same status it was when I turned the car off. Now I need to source buttons and PSE muffler. I going to take a shot at activating the Sports + as well since I've seen some people have success with the required code on early 991.1 models and mine is a 2012.

Last edited by joserpaq; 05-27-2024 at 07:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RwdConnor (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 01:27 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

I posted this on the thinkdiag thread but thought I should post here as well since it's related and may help others.

I've been all over the car looking for sports plus activation using think diag for a while and it started working with morning with no code. I'm still using stock switch console so I've had to replace switch button functions for testing so stock programming on those buttons was replaced. 2012 991.1S

1. I coded the PSE valves to button #2 on the right (previously coded to auto start/stop) and this is working as expected. Opens valves when button is pushed and turn on whenever Sport or sports plus is turned on.
2. Coded sports plus to the 2nd botton on the left (previously coded to PASM) and this turns on sports plus on cluster as well as changing engine/PDK settings. Shifting happens at redline.

When I turn on the Sports Plus button the "sports Plus" display comes up on the cluster, the car ECU/TCU change to sports plus mode but I'm not seeing any changes on the PCM or SC clock so I'm assuming the change has not been applied to the PCM. Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2024, 05:05 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

What do you think of the sound on the single centre valved mufler?
I tried it with plugging the vacuum lines and it just sounded awful, unplugged it straight away and ordered PSE muffler kit, no comparison at all.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:11 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James88
I tried it with plugging the vacuum lines and it just sounded awful, unplugged it straight away and ordered PSE muffler kit, no comparison at all.
Tbh i havent tried it on the center muffler. I installed a Top Speed Pro 1 catback. However, my Change over valve was bad so i NEVER heard what it was like with the center muffler activated haha, only the sides :/
James88 (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 05:24 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James88
I have an S so the valve did already open under certain circumstances but I do like the switch. If I'm going on drive with the wife keeping valves closed makes car much quieter and opening the valve all the time versus letting the ECU handle it also sound much better. I don't know how much louder the PSE center muffler would be over the standard S center muffler but it sounds pretty good as is. I ordered the switch console so I'll have both PSE control (with stock muffler) and sports+ on a car that didn't come that way from factory for the cost of the switch console and $80 for a Thinkdiag. Can't beat that.

I'll also keep an eye out for a used PSE center muffler and swap it out if I find one.
James88 (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 10:32 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Say you wanted the exhaust button on the left side under PSM for example, you can do it.....
Awesome write up!
When I did the install I thought I remember the PSE install instructions saying the switch needs to go in the right hand side in any position, but don't quote me on that.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:35 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Catharpin
Awesome write up!
When I did the install I thought I remember the PSE install instructions saying the switch needs to go in the right hand side in any position, but don't quote me on that.
That's correct. The I coded PSE to right side and 2nd button down. I coded Sports+ to left side and 2nd button down. That was the only place I could get it to work. I didn't physically move any buttons right now just replaced what was code on those buttons.
Old 05-29-2024, 01:16 AM
David Gz
Intermediate

I just ordered the console switch panel and the
Thinkdiag Thinkdiag
tool. I'll post how the PSE button on a C2S works..
Old 05-30-2024, 12:51 AM
Sajan
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 179 Posts

Anyone have the instructions for PIWIS III?

I found one of the settings for button assignment.
Old 05-31-2024, 04:19 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Can we drag some thinkdiag replies regarding PSE over here? I don't want to veer that thread off tangent and it seems like it'd be better discussed here?

Quick Reply: DIY: Program PSE at Home (ThinkDiag+)