Sponsored by:

DIY: Program PSE at Home (ThinkDiag+)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 09:26 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
So I got an Android phone to do the programming. I got the PSE button looking like it is working. (I don’t have the mufflers on to know for sure, but the lights are acting correctly).
On the left side I set the 2nd button to SportPlus and the third button to PSM off. Neither of those two buttons are working. If I push the 4th button then it deactivates PSM and it and the 5th LED lights up. I set the 4th and 5th buttons to “not assigned “ but 4 still controls the PSM. I would leave it there but that would mean an empty button above it which looks stupid. Am I missing a step somewhere?
Also, I did code SportsPlus button available.
Hmmmm So im assuming you do not have sport chonos? But youre adding sport plus and not the pasm button? Slightly confused on it.

For my car: its

SPORT | SPOLIER
SPORT | PLUS PSE
PASM AUTO | START STOP
PSM OFF

Where did you set these buttons? In the BKE field assignment? What all did you do? Seems like theres some extra steps youve taken to activate things that are beyond this thread
Old 07-11-2024, 09:26 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Herrmann
Connor is the man he helper me yesterday held my hand and walked me through all the ups and downs and explained the process very well. If anyone needs to barrow a Think Diag and or Tablet to do some coding just let me know.
My Pleasure Jim! Glad i could help and nice talking to you!
Old 07-12-2024, 09:17 AM
martkat
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Well attempt #4 to figure out this ThinkDiag stuff has FAILED!!!

So frustrating trying to follow posted directions that cover some but not all details of the steps to be taken.

For example - after any of the sequences below are you to select “WRITE CODE”?

I didn’t out of fear I’d mess something up - so are you supposed to or not? I’d think that would be a pretty important bit of information to be noted.

Also it would help if the sequences were worded EXACTLY as the options in the ThinkDiag app - I just had to guess if my selections matched the sequences listed.

Never could find DME - is it in the Air Conditioner section? Other?

I have my auto start/stop button pressed with the light on so that is the position it stays in all the time.

I’m trying to set the auto start/stop button to control the exhaust valves on my C2S without PSE.

Old 07-12-2024, 11:29 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by martkat

So frustrating trying to follow posted directions that cover some but not all details of the steps to be taken.

I didn’t out of fear I’d mess something up - so are you supposed to or not? I’d think that would be a pretty important bit of information to be noted.

Also it would help if the sequences were worded EXACTLY as the options in the ThinkDiag app - I just had to guess if my selections matched the sequences listed.

I have my auto start/stop button pressed with the light on so that is the position it stays in all the time.

I’m trying to set the auto start/stop button to control the exhaust valves on my C2S without PSE.

Im sorry youre having trouble. I did mention that everyone should check out the ThinkDiag magic thread as there is more info on how to use the tool. This being your first time, ill go lightly, explain, and hopefully solve all of you issues with this.

First, Yes, of course you "write code". Its basically the same thing as clicking enter.
Second, DME is NOT in the AC module. Its its own. If i recall, its about 3 down from the top when you get to the main list of things.
Third, Make sure your BKE key assignment is correct for button number 2 (i assume you have spolier, *** on the right ride) (this is found in the AC module)
Move "***" to the third spot on the right before making spot 2 "PSE"
Old 07-12-2024, 11:39 AM
RGSVan
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by martkat

Here are the detailed instructions that I have followed for my 4S without PSE. Note that I purchased the switch kit so moved the Start/Stop to button 3 right and Exhaust to button 2 right. A few extra steps by going back out to System Selection before going back into Air Conditioning, but this way you know where you are.CHANGE EXHAUST VALVING TO PSE USING BUTTON 2 RIGHT

1. System Selection

2. Air Conditioning

3. Code/Brush Hiding

4. Brush Hidden/Modified

5. Coding

6. Key Field Coding Value Keypad – Sport Exhaust Flap Available = YES (Default = No)

7. WRITE CODE

8. Back out and go back to System Selection

9. Air Conditioning

10. Code/Brush Hiding

11. Brush Hidden/Modified

12. BKE Key Field Assignment (Button 2, Right Side = Sport Exhaust) (Default = Start/Stop System)

13. WRITE CODE

14. Back out and go back to System Selection

15. DME

16. Code/Brush Hiding

17. Brush/Hidden Modified

18. Coding

19. Coding Byte 1 – Solenoid switchover valve for exhaust flaps = YES (Default = No)

20. WRITE CODE

21. Back out and go back to System Selection

ADD START/STOP FUNCTION TO BUTTON 3 RIGHT NOW THAT PSE IS ON BUTTON 2

1. Air Conditioning

2. Code/Brush Hiding

3. Brush/Hidden Modified

4. BKE Key Field Assignment (Button 3, right side = Start/Stop System, where DEFAULT = Not assigned)

5. WRITE CODE
The following 2 users liked this post by RGSVan:
DR ZZZ (08-08-2024), IRunalot (07-21-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 02:21 PM
martkat
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you RGSVan - it finally worked, your instructions were very helpful.
Old 07-12-2024, 07:18 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

So I got an Android phone to do the programming. I got the PSE button looking like it is working. (I don’t have the mufflers on to know for sure, but the lights are acting correctly).
On the left side I set the 2nd button to SportPlus and the third button to PSM off. Neither of those two buttons are working. If I push the 4th button then it deactivates PSM and it and the 5th LED lights up. I set the 4th and 5th buttons to “not assigned “ but 4 still controls the PSM. I would leave it there but that would mean an empty button above it which looks stupid. Am I missing a step somewhere?
Also, I did code SportsPlus button available.
I got the PSM button working in the #2 spot. I just had to clear all the preprogramed ones and let it sit powered down for a few hours, then program the PSM OFF / ESC OFF in the #2 spot, and program ESC+TC Off in the #3 spot. I don't know for sure if the #3 spot needs to have that, but it was in the console unit at the #5 spot when I got it, so I tried it. It lights up when you hit PSM Off, but it will be covered with a blank cap. I then had to power it down for 20 minutes before it would work. I was power cycling it before, but not very long when it wasn't working.

I installed the mufflers this afternoon, so I finally got to test out the system. Unfortunately, the button doesn't seem to be controlling the valves even though it lights up. Now I will have to figure out if it is a similar programing issue or I just have a vacuum line that came undone.

It is hot and I am tired. I think it is time for a beer break!
Old 07-12-2024, 08:32 PM
baby991
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you enter step 5?

5. DME -> Code/Brush Hiding -> Brush/Hidden
Modified -> Coding -> Coding Byte 1 -- Solenoid
switchover valve for exhaust flaps = YES

Also remember to “write code” every time.
Old 07-13-2024, 07:34 PM
boxdriver
Racer

It looks to me like they are all set correctly.

Old 07-14-2024, 08:03 PM
boxdriver
Racer

I did some digging and found another coding change for the exhaust. I have a 981, so I don’t know if this is specific for that or not since I haven’t seen it mentioned before.

Rear-End Electronics
Code / Brush Hiding
Brush Hidden / Modified
Coding Value
Coding Value_0
Coding Value - Equipment- Exhaust flaps actuation equipment
​​​​​​-Yes

I can now hear a difference when I have the PSE button pushed. It is not as much of a difference as I expected, but there seems to be a difference. Hopefully it’s not just in my head.
I will do some testing at the valves tomorrow to make sure they are moving when I press the button.
Old 07-14-2024, 08:14 PM
baby991
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you found the right code. Now just matter of the hardware functionality.
Old 07-16-2024, 07:08 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Originally Posted by baby991
I think you found the right code. Now just matter of the hardware functionality.
Did some digging today and the hardware is working . Just not the difference between open and closed that I was expecting. I won't clog up this thread, I will go back to the 981 forum to dig into that.
Old 07-18-2024, 12:10 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Does anyone know how to get the PSE button to remember the last setting used upon startup? My auto start/stop button remembers so I was hoping the PSE button would too, but it doesn't.
Old 07-18-2024, 12:21 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know how to get the PSE button to remember the last setting used upon startup? My auto start/stop button remembers so I was hoping the PSE button would too, but it doesn't.
I dont think there is a way. The vacuum is released when the car is turned off so that first starts have more of a rumble, then close up after a couple seconds.
If you want them to stay on, best bet is to hit the button before you turn the key
Old 07-21-2024, 11:57 AM
JamesRebel
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does this process work for a 991.2

I’m about to install PSE on a 991.2 base w/o PSE. Unlike the S models it does not come with any PSE plumbing so I have to install the wire harness, vacuum lines, etc.

Will this process work to program the PSE on 991.2? I noticed that all the comments are only for the 991.1.

Quick Reply: DIY: Program PSE at Home (ThinkDiag+)