991.1 Carrera conversion to gt2rs look

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 12:44 PM
raven_craft
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 991.1 Carrera conversion to gt2rs look

Hi all, new to this forum.

recently sold my 04 gated gallardo. And bought my wife a Tesla and myself a Carrera.(didn’t think I would like it, but test drove one and by far best car I’ve driven in a long time)

never really liked the bubbly look of the base but absolutely die when I see an rs. So decided to buy a 911 and convert the body and do some minor engine modifications.

basically starting this thread for documentation purposes. And hopefully get help from the community if I run into any issues.

ordered all the parts to start. Will take some time to arrive

The following users liked this post:
Dark Kauphee (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 12:50 PM
raven_craft
Intermediate

Default Bumper dry fitting

Ordered a front frp gt2rs bumper from Darwin pro.

looks pretty nice, comes with the front radiator redirect inlets and fog light housing frame.

currently dry fitting and blocking bumper to get to fit, then off to paint.

had to order 991.2 drl /fog lights for this conversion

will update once painted and installed.

fitment is pretty close.

additionally I’m transferring all the guides and clips from the original bumper to this current bumper so it fits like oem(or close) so going to take a bit of time.

rear spoiler and fenders have been shipped finally. Should be about 30days out

The following 7 users liked this post by raven_craft:
Ahmad310 (03-08-2024), CLeagones (03-13-2024), Dark Kauphee (03-08-2024), jimmiejam (03-09-2024), pbnevins (03-09-2024), Pieters (03-08-2024), Viper1000 (05-05-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-08-2024, 02:57 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Following because I'm interested in putting this front onto my 991.2 C2S for better aerodynamics.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:11 PM
enzotcat
Pro

@raven_craft - a bunch of questions for you:
  1. which version of the material did you choose?
  2. What does the quality of the front bumper look like?
  3. Is it too early to tell how good the fit is?
  4. Will you have to re-route a bunch of things like radiator hosing or A/C pipes in order to properly fit this?
  5. Is the air scoop with outlet at the top fully functional, or is it just cosmetic?
  6. Are you installing a 3rd radiator or do you already have one installed?
  7. How long between placing the order and the part showing up?
  8. Where did it come from location-wise?

Thanks!

Last edited by enzotcat; 03-08-2024 at 04:12 PM.
4 Point 0 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 05:18 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
  4. Will you have to re-route a bunch of things like radiator hosing or A/C pipes in order to properly fit this?
  5. Is the air scoop with outlet at the top fully functional, or is it just cosmetic?

Thanks!
The GT3 has a large aero box that sits against the frunk wall. All of the 11 locator pins were hanging off the chasis from factory waiting for this to be fitted.

I don’t know if all 911’s have these or my GTS had it because it shares the same widebody as GT3.

You’d need someone with narrowbody to confirm.

They are metal pins poking out from the body. The Aero box slides onto these pins. However the GTS air con lines were just straight across the void from factory, blocking the fitting of the aero box. I had the gts a/c lines removed, located the box, and had GT3 OEM a/c lines fitted. They are shaped to wrap around the box.

So I have high performing GT3 air conditioning now 🤣.

The whole point of the box is it vents air out the top to the GT3 Vent and creates downforce. Whereas the Carreras vent under the car creating lift.

So if you want the GT3 bar for Aero and not just looks, you need the box so that the top vent actually works.

I would imagine the GT2-RS would have a similar box to divert air out the top vent as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
Honda (03-15-2024), IRunalot (03-25-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 05:36 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
The GT3 has a large aero box that sits against the frunk wall. All of the 11 locator pins were hanging off the chasis from factory waiting for this to be fitted.

I don’t know if all 911’s have these or my GTS had it because it shares the same widebody as GT3.

You’d need someone with narrowbody to confirm.

They are metal pins poking out from the body. The Aero box slides onto these pins. However the GTS air con lines were just straight across the void from factory, blocking the fitting of the aero box. I had the gts a/c lines removed, located the box, and had GT3 OEM a/c lines fitted. They are shaped to wrap around the box.

So I have high performing GT3 air conditioning now 🤣.
Thanks! I was hoping you'd chime in here because I knew you had to reroute the air con lines, but didn't remember what exactly you did. Is the GT3 AC higher performing? 🤣

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
The whole point of the box is it vents air out the top to the GT3 Vent and creates downforce. Whereas the Carreras vent under the car creating lift.

So if you want the GT3 bar for Aero and not just looks, you need the box so that the top vent actually works.

I would imagine the GT2-RS would have a similar box to divert air out the top vent as well.
Right! That's exactly why I was asking if it was cosmetic or if the box does actually vent to the top to create the downforce or not.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:49 PM
enzotcat
Pro

The other thing I'd be curious about is whether the canards on the front of the standard bumper will wind up triggering a CEL or something because they will no longer be present. @4 Point 0 - did you have to do anything special there when you changed to the GT3 bumper?
Old 03-08-2024, 07:22 PM
raven_craft
Intermediate

Thanks!
1. doing a mix of frp and carbon fiber.
2. quality is pretty good, fit up nicely but will need a bit of fiber glass/bonds to build up the corners off the side of the hood.
3. Just finishing up the bumper. Would say a body shop would probably give the bumper a 9 very minimal work.
4. The only thing that I had to essentially takeoff or reroute, is the two ducks for the radiators and the foam support on the push bar. But the bumper does come with new that reroute correctly to the bumper. It looks like they were cast from the ducks on the GT2RS.
5. The scoop does have a grill that comes down, but no ducting behind it. So I would assume cosmetic?
6. No third radiator here. At least not in my initial plans
7. This bumper was in stock through DarwinPRO so I placed it and got it within a week. The other parts I ordered were sadly from china. So might be months out. if I get the parts and they’re absolutely crap, I’ll probably end up having to return them and just pay the extra money to DarwinPRO or another company that is US based. But not hating Darwin pro atm.
8. Darwin pro I believe is in New Jersey and I’m in California.
enzotcat (03-09-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:36 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

The other thing I'd be curious about is whether the canards on the front of the standard bumper will wind up triggering a CEL or something because they will no longer be present. @4 Point 0 - did you have to do anything special there when you changed to the GT3 bumper?
I had GTS front bumper as mine is a GTS.

I recall that my mechanic had to do somethjng with the wiring. Something like there was a different pin count from GTS to GT3. May have had something to do with the fact that GTS had front park sensors and GT3 bumper does not.

The only issue I have is when you select reverse, the pic of the car comes up for reverse camera, and there is a warning triangle at the front end of the car showing you that the front sensors are not working. Which is not an issue as you are reversing.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 03-08-2024 at 07:38 PM.
enzotcat (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 09:17 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by raven_craft
1. doing a mix of frp and carbon fiber.
2. quality is pretty good, fit up nicely but will need a bit of fiber glass/bonds to build up the corners off the side of the hood.
3. Just finishing up the bumper. Would say a body shop would probably give the bumper a 9 very minimal work.
4. The only thing that I had to essentially takeoff or reroute, is the two ducks for the radiators and the foam support on the push bar. But the bumper does come with new that reroute correctly to the bumper. It looks like they were cast from the ducks on the GT2RS.
5. The scoop does have a grill that comes down, but no ducting behind it. So I would assume cosmetic?
6. No third radiator here. At least not in my initial plans
7. This bumper was in stock through DarwinPRO so I placed it and got it within a week. The other parts I ordered were sadly from china. So might be months out. if I get the parts and they’re absolutely crap, I’ll probably end up having to return them and just pay the extra money to DarwinPRO or another company that is US based. But not hating Darwin pro atm.
8. Darwin pro I believe is in New Jersey and I’m in California.
Thanks!!! Regarding the scoop - is it essentially a hole / duct that goes from the front to the top, or is there an obstruction in the way? The idea is that the front should channel air out through the top vent to provide downforce, so AFAIK it shouldn't be particularly complex in appearance - just a hole, basically.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:27 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

When in reverse
enzotcat (03-09-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 08:48 PM
raven_craft
Intermediate

Thanks!!! Regarding the scoop - is it essentially a hole / duct that goes from the front to the top, or is there an obstruction in the way? The idea is that the front should channel air out through the top vent to provide downforce, so AFAIK it shouldn't be particularly complex in appearance - just a hole, basically.
from what I can see no duct, it is just open on the top and in the front. I guess I could make a duct to channel are flow. I think up really is the only way for the air to move as the side ducts kinda block the passage way
Old 03-11-2024, 09:07 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by raven_craft
from what I can see no duct, it is just open on the top and in the front. I guess I could make a duct to channel are flow. I think up really is the only way for the air to move as the side ducts kinda block the passage way
Thanks - so the front basically goes to the top, and the side duct walls will, when the bumper is attached to the frame, force the air up and out through the center? Sounds like it's the right thing then!
Old 03-13-2024, 09:43 AM
doctj
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Looking forward to this
Old 03-15-2024, 09:32 PM
raven_craft
Intermediate

Default Update bumper painted

Bumper painted and buffed and getting put back on.

had the paint shop help with a bit of the figment. But was very minor after I got all the clips attached.

sadly still have to wait for the fenders and rear.

also looking into some new rims to fit the body a bit better

doctj (03-16-2024)

Quick Reply: 991.1 Carrera conversion to gt2rs look