Sponsored by:

Tractive Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 12:56 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Tractive Suspension Help

Since my Tractive setup was installed two weeks ago, I’ve been having an extremely annoying issue of them going full stiff when the DSC controller is powered by the car. I never had this problem when I was using the stock dampers, and they also never go full stiff if I have my laptop connected. Talking to TPC they asked that I check the connection on all the dampers which I did, and everything looks good. I checked controller connection and even taped it down and strapped down the controller so it can’t move. Same issue with the PC connected it works perfectly, disconnect the PC and it either goes full stiff right away or in a few minutes. I can’t drive with a PC connected 24/7 and getting a bit frustrated so wondering if anyone has any idea or anyone in South Florida have a lot of experience with Tractive. I’m ready to just order some MCS 4-Ways and call it day.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:00 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

The Tractives and DSC are for sale. Anyone’s interested please DM me. They have 400 miles on them.

Last edited by IRunalot; 08-12-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:52 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,304 Posts

consider posting an ad in the marketplace!

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/parts
The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 07:09 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by IRunalot
They Tractives and DSC are for sale. Anyone’s interested please DM me. They have 400 miles in them.
Oh no!!!!!
Old 08-12-2023, 08:29 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Oh no!!!!!
Total nightmare, I have no words. I have spent two weeks chasing what would seem like an electrical issue according to TPC. After taking apart the entire connector for the DSC and resetting the pins I plugged back in and it worked., Will it worked when I started the car. I drove 2 miles stopped at a traffic light, and they went full stiff again. I'm done, at this pint I just don't trust them, especially on a track as I have no way on of knowing when they will decide to go full stiff.

I'm going Ohlins TTX 4 ways if I can find some for the 991.2 or back to MCS 4-ways, At least I know what the are going to to do and I can trust them to be there. Really sad as when they do work they are amazing, but that's maybe 20% of the time.

I'm just going back to Joey at E-Motion for dampers.

Last edited by IRunalot; 08-12-2023 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:30 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
consider posting an ad in the marketplace!

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/parts
I'll post them as soon as I have something ordered and an arrival date.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:57 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

I'll post them as soon as I have something ordered and an arrival date.
Such a bummer man! I just installed tractives with DSC on my car 1 month ago and they have been a dream. I am curious if you just have a defective DSC controller. Did you ask them to swap out your DSC unit? I doubt it's the shocks as they are reacting to inputs. Or if anyone is local to you with DSC V3 setup for tractives?

Old 08-12-2023, 10:34 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 666 Posts

I’ve had mine for almost 5 years now. I have made countless changes and they are epic.

However, when they were first installed I also had similar issue. My car already had DSC V3 (the 2018 one).
My race mechanic installed the tractive.

We called the Tractive Australian distributor, and he remotely plugged into the DSC and programmed it.
After around 5 minutes, he said, you’re good to go and hung up. My race mechanic backed the car off the hoist and stopped and got out and immediately said, you car is bouncing on the springs like you have zero dampening at all. We called back the Tractive rep, he plugged back in, after 10 minutes, said should be all good now.

I jumped in and on the way home almost lost all my fillings (and i don’t have any). I called him back, the car was on FULL Stiff! He plugged in again, messed around for another 10 minutes and then got me to drive and he was watching live feed. He said its definitely working now.

It seemed to be working. However in hindsight, I never really felt with this setup 75/150 that the car was as good as other cars on the track.

Then I installed GT3 front anti-Sway bars. This made the front end collapse and i would light the tyres up out of every corner. Pretty much a total loss of drive.

I up graded the front springs to 100. So was now at 100/150 and then got a custom map from Tom at TPC.

Hello tractive. Now it delivered. Now it was every bit as good as an RS.

after being happy with that a few years, I wanted more. So up graded the Springs to 120/170 Manthey Racing spec.

I can’t believe that Tractive still makes the car perfectly street-able with such a serious spring rate.

Although I don’t know why i was supprised. With 100/150 it was good enough to drive on the streets at full track stiff.

Now with 120/170 I actually use the softer mode on the street. (I sprang for the latest V3 - Later version as well)

(My thoughts are you will be able to sort the issue.)

If not 911ATX was looking for Tractive.

i have a couple of guys in a group with 991.2. I’ll let them know you’re selling.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 08-12-2023 at 10:38 PM.
IRunalot (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 03:04 AM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

Total nightmare, I have no words. I have spent two weeks chasing what would seem like an electrical issue according to TPC. After taking apart the entire connector for the DSC and resetting the pins I plugged back in and it worked., Will it worked when I started the car. I drove 2 miles stopped at a traffic light, and they went full stiff again. I'm done, at this pint I just don't trust them, especially on a track as I have no way on of knowing when they will decide to go full stiff.

I'm going Ohlins TTX 4 ways if I can find some for the 991.2 or back to MCS 4-ways, At least I know what the are going to to do and I can trust them to be there. Really sad as when they do work they are amazing, but that's maybe 20% of the time.

I'm just going back to Joey at E-Motion for dampers.
Just a heads up, I originally purchased a set off 991 GT3 Ohlins TTX 2-ways for my 2018 911 T not realizing they don't work on non-GT cars. I sold them and purchased the Bilstein Clubsports after doing a lot of research and have been very happy with them so far, although I haven't tracked on them yet. They are a 2-way as well and come with front and rear monoball top mounts.

I like them because the fronts are an inverted design like the Ohlins TTX and Tractive unlike the MCS and KW unless you go with the KW Competition line.

That being said, I am not sure if you can still find a set anywhere but this is what I got: https://cart.bilsteinus.com/details?...t%20and%20Rear
IRunalot (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 10:51 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

I’m heart broken that they don’t work, I have bult 2 dozen files and have the street ride/handling literally perfect. The problem is the only time they work 100% of the time is of my laptop is connected. If they are connected to the car, it’s a roll of the dice if they work that key cycle or not. If they are not working, I need to connect my laptop, reset the board, and prey they work when I disconnect the laptop. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. For nearly wo weeks we have checked connectors replaced fuses, check current, damper resistance, etc. The only support I got was the above check connectors and good luck. I need hands on works and my patience is gone I need a car I can rely on. If I had some actual hands-on support that could troubleshoot them, I would keep them, but I don’t have that option unfortunately and I’ve wasted enough time and money troubleshooting, I must draw the line somewhere. I’m starting to not like the car because of this and that’s when I need to make a change. These dampers just don’t work on this particular car and it’s a shame, but it is what it is. No one around me has the experience to fix them, which is another problem cause stuff breaks and I need support.

I’m probably going KW competitions after doing some research over the evening and have sent E-Motion an email. I’ll get something ordered and hopefully still make my upcoming setup date and track days.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:03 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Have you looked at JRZ? Had lots of success with them, most recently with a 3-way set up on my old 981 GT 4. Downside is the PASM is disabled so all changes are made via the individual *****. A bit of an inconvenience but an amazing package.
IRunalot (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 11:03 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I’ve had mine for almost 5 years now. I have made countless changes and they are epic.

However, when they were first installed I also had similar issue. My car already had DSC V3 (the 2018 one).
My race mechanic installed the tractive.

We called the Tractive Australian distributor, and he remotely plugged into the DSC and programmed it.
After around 5 minutes, he said, you’re good to go and hung up. My race mechanic backed the car off the hoist and stopped and got out and immediately said, you car is bouncing on the springs like you have zero dampening at all. We called back the Tractive rep, he plugged back in, after 10 minutes, said should be all good now.

I jumped in and on the way home almost lost all my fillings (and i don’t have any). I called him back, the car was on FULL Stiff! He plugged in again, messed around for another 10 minutes and then got me to drive and he was watching live feed. He said its definitely working now.

If I have this level of support it would be helpful, but I don't. I was told good luck. That doesn't sit well with me after spending 9.5k. I have very little personal time in my life between running a business and care-giving for my mom so this setup and just flat out pissed me off with the amount of time I've wasted. Then told good luck errrrr. Joey and his team were happy to spend time on the phone, send parts overnight whenever the shop had an issue. These guys tell me good luck. That's the place that will get my business.

I'll probably go KW Comps as I 100% need 4-ways to deal with the 3rd world roads we have here and still maintain good low speed body control.

Last edited by IRunalot; 08-13-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:17 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Does anyone here have a way to re-flash the firmware to the controller? Seems TPC removed all downloads from their site.

I just checked every connection and its perfect current connection etc. the fact it only works reliably is when it's powered by a PC tells me its wither the car's wiring harness or the DSC itself. The dealer checked the wiring harness for me yesterday and its fine, no connection issues and zero errors.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:16 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc
Have you looked at JRZ? Had lots of success with them, most recently with a 3-way set up on my old 981 GT 4. Downside is the PASM is disabled so all changes are made via the individual *****. A bit of an inconvenience but an amazing package.
I hate that I can't make quick changes with a passive system, but I need something reliable, and each and every time I know what it will do.. The maps I made with this setup are insanely good for what I want. Unfortunately, I only get to experience that 20% of the time. I’m at stop lights cycling the ignition hoping they works on the next key cycle. Sometimes they do most do the time they do not. Only time they work is when my laptop is connected then its 100% of the time. I can also run the DSC USB cable to the armrest USB, and it works. Then I have no CarPlay which I need, and I should not have to do this with a 10K system. The controller only works on USB power and the dealer says nothing is wrong with the harness. They even checked the pins and showed me which one I need to keep an eye on. They did this as a favor as they want to see this car up and running.

It sucks I got have the damper calibration and velocity spot on for what I want.I was looking forward to building a Homestead profile, Sebring etc. I love tuning dampers

Could you imagine dampers going full stiff into turn one at Homestead or the final high-speed corner at Sebring? I had an emergency braking situation yesterday and they went full stiff, and the car just slid across the rough pavement as I had near zero rebound. I missed rear ending the car in front of me be less than one foot.

Going to take it all apart this afternoon, and give it one more try.

I'm not knocking DSC, TPC, or Tractive the system is amazing but my patience and faith in the system is rock bottom.

Last edited by IRunalot; 08-13-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:33 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 666 Posts

Can I ask, do you have the older V3 DSC?

There is a newer hardware version with same name, its also called V3. They never changed the name.

If you try and run the latest map with the older V3, they will conflict.

So how long have you had your DSC? Can you confirm its the latest one or not?

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 08-13-2023 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Tractive Suspension Help