Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tractive Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 08:05 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 187 Posts

I'm pretty sure that is where I'm headed for rates, just keeping the ~.70 split, which is exactly the 120/170 Manthery setup. I have had a few well informed engineers tell me .7 is a sweet spot. That is probably where I will go once I can get the DSC working properly, I don't want to feel 120/170 full stiff.

I can see how the dampers behave even with the stock controller. Huge improvement over the stock dampers. Not even a comparison to be honest. It was nice to drive the car with the dampers not in full stiff but the stock controller is very well under-utilizing the Tractives.

You have bumpy tracks and the streets here look like the roads car manufacturers use to test suspension. Somehow they have forgotten how to pave roads here, its pretty bad.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:52 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

If you want a shops help, highly recommend Orbit Racing in West Palm beach. Well regarded in Porsche racing circles and where I will be getting my tractive setup installed.
The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 08:14 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
If you want a shops help, highly recommend Orbit Racing in West Palm beach. Well regarded in Porsche racing circles and where I will be getting my tractive setup installed.
Thank you for the feedback, I have heard about Orbit from PCA. Overall, my shop did a great job on the install, I just need help troubleshooting the issue with the controller power and this was my shops first full Tractive install. They do a lot of track car work but not damper tuning.
Do you know if they have experience with the damper tuning on the Tractive/DSC? I went down the wrong path as mine kept going to full stiff and I really didn't even realize that was the issue for a week and ended up tuning the dampers for a car in full stiff. Although I somehow got it to be "kind of compliant" at full stiff. Hopefully, the DSC issues get sorted and I truly experience this suspension.

I will stop by their shop some time and have a talk with them to possibly dial in the car.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:41 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

I am intently watching this thread. The DSC controller is a game changer for the 991 and I’ve posted several times about that. I bought the Tractive shocks and stand alone DSC controller for my 993 at the end of last year, but have yet to install it. Still gathering the myriad of parts for a full suspension refresh. Will likely start the project in fall. Hoping that I still get support from them. Tom was responsive with several emails in the weeks following the purchase. I hope yours gets fully sorted. I tell every 911 w/PASM owner the DSC sport controller is the first mod they should do.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:51 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fnckr
I am intently watching this thread. The DSC controller is a game changer for the 991 and I’ve posted several times about that. I bought the Tractive shocks and stand alone DSC controller for my 993 at the end of last year, but have yet to install it. Still gathering the myriad of parts for a full suspension refresh. Will likely start the project in fall. Hoping that I still get support from them. Tom was responsive with several emails in the weeks following the purchase. I hope yours gets fully sorted. I tell every 911 w/PASM owner the DSC sport controller is the first mod they should do.
When it's working it’s amazing no doubt, I just hope to get it working. I have the controller boxed up and waiting on UPS pickup. I'm hoping it's the controller as I am having zero issue with the stock PASM controller at the moment. Tom told me that I could still use it so swapped it out and went on two drives last night and had no issues at all. Not the full DSC experience obviously but it never went full stiff.

I'm sure this is an isolated incident, but my frustration was at an all time high this weekend after spending so much time checking the install and the cars electronics which yielded zero positive results. The only positive result I have had in my troubleshooting is switching out the DSC for the stock controller which really is not the intent of the DSC/Tractive setup. Hence me coming here for some clarity from other DSC and Tractive owners. I really don't want to go back to a passive setup and if the DSC wont work in my car I may just have to stick with the stock controller.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:04 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by IRunalot
Thank you for the feedback, I have heard about Orbit from PCA. Overall, my shop did a great job on the install, I just need help troubleshooting the issue with the controller power and this was my shops first full Tractive install. They do a lot of track car work but not damper tuning. Do you know if they have experience with the damper tuning on the Tractive/DSC? I went down the wrong path as mine kept going to full stiff and I really didn't even realize that was the issue for a week and ended up tuning the dampers for a car in full stiff. Although I somehow got it to be "kind of compliant" at full stiff. Hopefully, the DSC issues get sorted and I truly experience this suspension. I will stop by their shop some time and have a talk with them to possibly dial in the car.
Roger is the owner and Sean is the Manager - either of them could probably talk you through what they can do for you without you having to drive up here to get that answer.

When it's working it’s amazing no doubt, I just hope to get it working. I have the controller boxed up and waiting on UPS pickup. I'm hoping it's the controller as I am having zero issue with the stock PASM controller at the moment. Tom told me that I could still use it so swapped it out and went on two drives last night and had no issues at all. Not the full DSC experience obviously but it never went full stiff. I'm sure this is an isolated incident, but my frustration was at an all time high this weekend after spending so much time checking the install and the cars electronics which yielded zero positive results. The only positive result I have had in my troubleshooting is switching out the DSC for the stock controller which really is not the intent of the DSC/Tractive setup. Hence me coming here for some clarity from other DSC and Tractive owners. I really don't want to go back to a passive setup and if the DSC wont work in my car I may just have to stick with the stock controller.
I've been really happy with the DSC v3 and it married perfectly with my aftermarket springs with the stock dampers. I've been reading and then re-reading everything you posted about your experience because I've been planning to do the same thing. I really want this to work out for you!
Old 08-16-2023, 12:50 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

I hope I can get it resolved I have driven for 2 days with the stock PASM controller and I'm not having any issues. Electrical problems are a pain to troubleshoot, the car has been gone through by the dealer and the installer so hopefully its just the DSC.
The following users liked this post:
Pb Pedis (08-17-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 01:04 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

You have a friend with a 991.2 that would be willing to install your DSC to test? If he has the issue, then there really can be no question.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:10 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

I have not tried that yet but that would be a good test. So far the stock PASM controller has worked flawlessly all week.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:49 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Tom at TPC did some testing with my unit and was not able to replicate the issue. He is sending me another controller that I will install and not touch with a PC for a week. This should work as mine worked in that case. The interesting part will be connecting the PC after we are sure it works for a week. Soon as I involve the PC with the Tractive dampers is when the issue starts. The PC connecting to DSC with the OEM dampers never yielded an issue.

Thank you, Tom, for taking your time to do this it's greatly appreciated.TPC has been very helpful in trying to get this resolved.

Last edited by IRunalot; 08-23-2023 at 01:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IRunalot:
Crubbert (09-01-2023), fnckr (08-31-2023), jakermc (08-23-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 03:23 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Tom at TPC did some testing with my unit and was not able to replicate the issue. He is sending me another controller that I will install and not touch with a PC for a week. This should work as mine worked in that case. The interesting part will be connecting the PC after we are sure it works for a week. Soon as I involve the PC with the Tractive dampers is when the issue starts. The PC connecting to DSC with the OEM dampers never yielded an issue.

Thank you, Tom, for taking your time to do this it's greatly appreciated.TPC has been very helpful in trying to get this resolved.
Any up dates? Do you have it all sorted.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:08 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Any up dates? Do you have it all sorted.
Yes, I do have an update. Tom sent me a new controller and asked me to use it for a week and not to connect it to the PC. That happened last week, and I drove it a few times with no issues. Yesterday was one week so I connected the computer to spend some time working on the damper velocity. Again, zero issues as I had with the other controller. After 5 hours of driving around and tuning this suspension it’s flat out amazing. I have the "street" setup almost complete and will start working on an aggressive street "sport" setup today and track setup at an upcoming PCA DE.
Overall, very impressed and happy with setup. I know I let me emotions and frustration get the best of be those first two weeks, but I'm extremely tapped out in those areas due to personal family issues. So, no disrespect to Tom or TPC, they have been GREAT. Soon as I get it on the track and have some more feedback I’ll write up as review.

Thank you Tom for really good map that I can use as my baseline!
The following 2 users liked this post by IRunalot:
4 Point 0 (09-04-2023), Tier1Terrier (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 08:22 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Happy to hear this outcome so far. Would have loved to see your new setup at the DE event but unfortunately I have a schedule conflict and cannot make it. But I look forward to hearing how everything turns out!
Old 09-04-2023, 08:55 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Brother, not that I said that I just went to load my latest revision, drove off and its full stiff again.

Going to reset the battery to see if that fixes it as it has in the past.

There is a gremlin somewhere.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:45 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

So a full battery reset get it working again as it did before.

One thing that seems to preempt the full stiff situation is me turning the key to run with the PC connected. Something else I notice each time this happens is there s a connection issue between my laptop and the DSC where I need to reset the com port. Those two things seem like a constant with this issue.

Worst case I pull the negative terminal for minute and its back to normal. Will have to try out a few other things to see if I can get to the root cause of the issue.

Quick Reply: Tractive Suspension Help