Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2800 miles in 9 days

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 02:11 PM
yosshaa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 28 Posts

I love the color/wheel combo, looks like a great trip.
The following users liked this post:
jpu1 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 03:23 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

I've done both (TOTD several more) but on bikes. There's a line from the famous "Ballad of the Gap" that highlights my only complaint about the BOTD:
"On the Back of the Dragon we nearly got burned, by all the loose gravel on each right turn"
It seems every switchback on the way up, the bigger vehicles dragged a lot of gravel on to what would otherwise be nice smooth asphalt. That could be the simple misfortune of coming along at the wrong time, because I have heard that it's generally well maintained.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:56 PM
Msgm1
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jpu1
the back of the dragon is route 16 in tazewell, va…quite some ways away from the tail of the dragon. A solid 6-7 hours if I had to guess.

its basically the tail of the dragon on steroids. It’s 33 miles, more technical, more elevation change, and you’re higher up to begin with so you’re really on the side of a mountain a whole lot more. All in all truly epic road. It’s in a relatively remote area so I don’t think it gets as much run because it’s not a built up attraction like the tail is, even though it’s a better road. I do this trip coming from northern VA and have made sure to hit it 2 years in a row now. It’s worth it.
Awesome! Can't wait to try it! Did you drive the Blue Ridge Parkway?
Old 04-26-2023, 10:38 AM
jpu1
Instructor

Received 177 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Emefef
I've done both (TOTD several more) but on bikes. There's a line from the famous "Ballad of the Gap" that highlights my only complaint about the BOTD:
"On the Back of the Dragon we nearly got burned, by all the loose gravel on each right turn"
It seems every switchback on the way up, the bigger vehicles dragged a lot of gravel on to what would otherwise be nice smooth asphalt. That could be the simple misfortune of coming along at the wrong time, because I have heard that it's generally well maintained.
Now that's too bad. I can say I did not feel like I experienced that, she was clean and open in both of my trips...but I also imagine that's maybe a little more obviously felt on a bike vs car. I'm sorry it sounds like it was less than ideal conditions! Part of the mountains I suppose, we came across a lot of controlled burns the further we got into NC, and roads would be covered in ash, or other debris and it really can make things hairy quickly...or you come up on a small waterfall pouring over otherwise dry pavement and have to adjust accordingly.

Originally Posted by Msgm1
Awesome! Can't wait to try it! Did you drive the Blue Ridge Parkway?
Yes! To get to the back of the dragon I pick up the BRP right after Shenandoah in wayneboro, take BRP all the way into Roanoke and then start heading west to get to Tazewell, which also has some incredible roads depending on route. My first leg usually finishes in Boone, and then we get back on BRP and work towards Asheville. I haven't done much of BRP between Roanoke and Boone, but have covered pretty much the rest north and south of those points. Bypassing that section in favor of back of the dragon has been my route. Happy to share google map routes in PM for those interested.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:39 PM
Lee Rambler
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I’ve done skyline and brp a number of times, but never in my 911 or m3’s. Killer drive, and some of the roads between Knoxville and North Carolina through those state parks are awesome too. Didn’t know about the back of the dragon though, will have to look up if time ever permits to get down there in the 911 (I’m in pa).
Old 04-27-2023, 05:34 PM
jpu1
Instructor

Received 177 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Rambler
I’ve done skyline and brp a number of times, but never in my 911 or m3’s. Killer drive, and some of the roads between Knoxville and North Carolina through those state parks are awesome too. Didn’t know about the back of the dragon though, will have to look up if time ever permits to get down there in the 911 (I’m in pa).
You got that right! The big 3 roads being talked about here are all great. But the state routes in NC in and around BRP are just as, if not better...and the couple roads that run through the smokeys through tellico plains, ifkyk, are really the best on the coast for my money.

Quick Reply: 2800 miles in 9 days