Sponsored by:

Who hated the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 01:57 PM
yosshaa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by WJGreer
Those would maybe be BMW guys in their 20s or with really short memories. The decision to put a V8 in the M3 was heresy when it happened, even though the cars ended up being very good. You had to know how to work the RPMs, but we all know what that's like around here.

The E46 was probably the M3 most (long term) BMW enthusiasts would point to. I'm not sure those would even be considered fast by today's standards, but the engines were amazing, the balance was fantastic, and the interiors were great like E46 3 series were.

Coming from an e46 m3 I can say that car used every one of its 333 horses... sure by today's standards its not as fast, but that's really not the point or what makes the e46 a classic. The straight six to v8 for the m3's feels very close to the dialog around the move from an NA in the 991.1 to 991.2's smaller displacement turbo motor. I chose the 991.1 because I wanted the NA flat 6 experience (also wanted manual but couldn't pass up the deal on this pdk) I feel like a manual 991.2 gts would be my next move if things keep going well.
The following users liked this post:
RP4S911 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 02:58 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by WJGreer
Those would maybe be BMW guys in their 20s or with really short memories. The decision to put a V8 in the M3 was heresy when it happened, even though the cars ended up being very good. You had to know how to work the RPMs, but we all know what that's like around here.

The E46 was probably the M3 most (long term) BMW enthusiasts would point to. I'm not sure those would even be considered fast by today's standards, but the engines were amazing, the balance was fantastic, and the interiors were great like E46 3 series were.

Yea but remember people bagged on Smurf Blue and said the E46 sounded like a sewing machine. But it was my fave too. I drove the snot out of it and it remains as one of my ATFs.

I thought I would never again find a 4-seater with the lightness and toss-ability of my LSB E46, but I did, and it's my Alfa QV. I will never sell this car unless it's to buy a new one. It makes the new M3 feel so stiff and sterile. Every time I drive it I say to myself "Goody goody goody" and I've had it since 2018. Never ceases to amaze me.
The following users liked this post:
WJGreer (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 03:28 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 112 Posts

I think for me the decision to go with the 2017 991.2 GTS vs the 2016 991.1 GTS, which were the two finalists in my search, was the reality of why I was buying the car and my intended use. I own a normally aspirated Cayenne with a 4.8 liter V-8 and love it. That vehicle has 170K miles on it and still runs great. I now use that SUV for surfing, shopping, trips to home depot and driving in bad weather where the all wheel drive and the ground clearance, cargo space of an SUV are advantageous, not to mention it is a comfort to drive and has a great level of performance for a practical SUV. Rather than sell it and get another one I decided to keep it for the practical purposes and buy what I always wanted but just didn't fit my lifestyle at the time, a 911. Originally I was looking for a normally aspirated GTS with a manual in the latest year with lowest mileage possible. I believed that car would have held its value or possibly appreciated due to the value many Porsche purists place on those two features. The business side of me quickly realized that I wasn't buying a car as an investment as much as I was buying a car I wanted to drive and drive a lot. Not on the track but on the canyon roads and open highways where I live and commute. In the end it was the 991.2 with a PDK which I wound up purchasing solely because it fit my personal lifestyle better. Yes the 2016 GTS 991.1 is a spectacular vehicle and one with tremendous appeal to many collectors and purists, but for me the old adage buy the newest and highest trim level Porsche you can afford seemed to work best. Yes the exhaust note of a NA car at 5000 to 7500 rpm is pretty sweet, I do not spend much time in that rev range. Nor do I intend to track the car. The sound of my 991.2 is also very sweet also at high revs, but as a daily driver with ultra high performance ( at least more performance ability then any sane individual can use in the real world of driving on public roads) it is exceptional. Yes I do think I may have gave up some long term value as a collector car with the 991.2, but no car driven daily is a good investment. What I lost in the slightly better exhaust note, I gained in every other area of performance, including rear wheel steering, lower mileage, full warranty plus finding a car optioned the way I wanted made the most sense for me. A lot of what makes a good used purchase is a balance between what you want ideally and what you can find that gets as close as possible to it in a good value price.

The discussion about FI vs NA cars is interesting as both have their advantages in certain applications. I am confused why many very knowledgeable guys are so set on the Porsche tradition of NA cars, especially since Porsche is also famous for their turbo cars. Two of the most desirable Porsches in history are the GT2 RS and the 959. Both are arguably the ultimate performance Porsches of their respective times. Yes the 991.1 2016 GTS with a manual would make a good investment if I were able to garage it for 10 years putting little mileage on it as an investment. Instead I drive everyday what might be arguably the best combination of performance and comfortable daily usability you can get in a car with the possible exception of the Turbo S. Of course other than badge I am not sure there is any real world benefit for the difference in HP or the difference in sticker price. I don't believe too much in nostalgia. Porsche cars get more refined, and perform better with every improvement in technology. While personal preferences are subjective, the performance numbers are objective and do not lie. A 991.2 GTS with PDK out performs a 991.1 GTS with manual in every objective category except the subjective areas of personal preference. Just sharing my personal decision process. When choosing a pre owned vehicle even when new is an option, I just prefer to find the best vehicle for me that I can find. Even if you pay to build your dream car on the build your new Porsche website by clicking boxes of options, moving forward your choices are going to be turbo cars or a GT3. I have a couple of friends with GT3s and none of them are used for daily driving, just weekends or track time as the track ready set up is harsh on everyday roads. The chrono sport package in the street cars allows for the car to transition from different driving scenarios from high performance to subdued driving on city streets. Hard to beat the versatility.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:32 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

I have two GTS at the moment. My cab is going up for sale, but both have PDK and I have to say I love it. In California driving a stick to get to work would be a nightmare if you do much freeway driving. It's so funny that I've owned so many high-performance cars including exotics to only sit on the freeway. I drive my GT3 to Angeles Crest or Azusa Canyon very early and that helps avoid traffic and the 6 speed fun begins.

As far as the turbo thing goes having so much instant torque would be nice, but I'm going fast enough.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:42 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 112 Posts

Nice, I'm in So Cal also. Ojai / Ventura area. No real traffic. Love my morning drive down the canyon from Ojai to the Beach in Ventura. Perfect way to spend the morning commute. Start out in the curves and then open it up on the 33 to 101. I love driving my GTS in the morning....smells like victory!

Quick Reply: Who hated the 991?