991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter - Mice Repellent

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023 | 05:24 PM
DR911s
Racer

Good luck in getting that mouse out alive before bad things happen.

Here's my story from 2 years ago on my 2017 C2S.

A mouse, apparently a pregnant mother, entered my car while in an offsite storage garage, and built her nest somewhere under the dash/center console. No food was ever in that garage unit ever, and no food in the car during storage, although I do occasionally put food items in the frunk after grocery shopping or getting takeout meals or pizzas. Metal door and walls and concrete floor. Many other U-Store-It units around the unit I lease. Never any problem previously during use of this same garage for more than a decade with two other cars, both of which have leather interiors and they have been used to carry groceries and at times a fast food meal has been consumed in them.

Long story made longer, after I got the car out of the storage garage during summer and had it in my home garage, mamma mouse apparently ventured out and ate some poison and so did two of her babies. The babies crawled out of my car and fell onto the concrete floor; they were obviously dying from whatever they had ingested. But mamma didn't come out. She died and smelled for a long time.

I first took apart the under glove box access door for the HVAC cabin filter, and also the under hood pre-filter, and found zero evidence of any mouse house or activity. I saw some mouse droppings along the front right structural reinforcement beam near the right damper tower. I used a borescope and looked everywhere that I could, and also raised the car and removed the underbody panels. Nothing! I used the borescope to probe everywhere I could reach under the dash from both footwell areas and still nothing!

The smell eventually went totally away. Perhaps the dealership when it serviced the car the following spring found and cleaned out whatever remained of the mouse and nest since it was a major service that included the cabin filters and much more. I also had to have the windshield replaced due to a rock; that was a separate major service by the same dealership. But the dealership Service Manager never indicated to me or on the worksheets that they ever observed any mouse nest or droppings or damage or any additional work to remedy the mouse house and remains.

My "solution" following that experience has been to install several of the electronic ultrasonic rodent annoyance repellent devices that supposedly continously emit varying high frequency sounds in that storage garage and at my home, and not only in the garage. You can buy packages of them through Amazon, many options similar to these:
Amazon Amazon

Additionally, I installed in the car under the frunk and under the removable plastic cover that is over the battery and much more a wired-to-the-car-battery ultrasonic and flashing LED rodent repeller that I also bought via Amazon.
Amazon Amazon

And a portable battery operated combination ultrasonic and flashing LED rodent repeller that I place in the passenger footwell in whatever car I put in that offsite storage garage.
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Winter - Mice Repellent