Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Large tire puncture, safe for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 05:37 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jberb55
Let the people in your run group know you’re running on a patched tire, then ask for their opinions. If you’ll have an instructor in your car, please let that person know about the patched tire
I called a reputate instructor Carl Wener and he say its ok to lapp with a well repair puncture that said i will lapp with my car i feel more confident now i just need to monitor pressure tire for à few lap aniway the track im lapping is not a high speed track

Last edited by blackcheetah; 09-12-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:51 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

A worse case, but unlikely scenario is a cord or more have been damaged or severed by the puncture. Another long term issue is water getting to steel cords over time and corroding them. Most track tires last less than a season or 2 at most. One of the reasons I buy tires from Tire Rack is for the two year road hazard.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:25 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcheetah
I called a reputate instructor Carl Wener and he say its ok to lapp with a well repair puncture that said i will lapp with my car i feel more confident now i just need to monitor pressure tire for à few lap aniway the track im lapping is not a high speed track
perfect, sounds like you found the answer you were looking for.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:04 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 460 Likes on 299 Posts

What sort of track is not a "high speed" track?
Old 09-12-2022, 11:18 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

I would never run a patched tire on the track. Will you be safe with it, probably but how bad will you feel if your tire goes and you smash some other dude's $100K plus car? AR1's are relatively cheap so just replace it, assuming the tread is still good on the other 3.

Thread derail:

@4 Point 0 - do you really feel that good about the CR-S? I've been running the Supercar 3R's from Goodyear (might be called something different in your region) and they are literally the best. Prices have gone up quite a bit and availability has gone way down (supply and demand, go figure) so the AR1's are looking sexy at about $400 less a set. I could care less about noise as they would be my track tires, not street tires. So AR1 vs CRS strictly for a DRY track?
Old 09-13-2022, 12:57 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I would never run a patched tire on the track. Will you be safe with it, probably but how bad will you feel if your tire goes and you smash some other dude's $100K plus car? AR1's are relatively cheap so just replace it, assuming the tread is still good on the other 3.

Thread derail:

@4 Point 0 - do you really feel that good about the CR-S? I've been running the Supercar 3R's from Goodyear (might be called something different in your region) and they are literally the best. Prices have gone up quite a bit and availability has gone way down (supply and demand, go figure) so the AR1's are looking sexy at about $400 less a set. I could care less about noise as they would be my track tires, not street tires. So AR1 vs CRS strictly for a DRY track?
I really do feel that good about the CR-S. They are not as fast as Cup2-R. But Cup2-R are really just for track, and they get expensive burning through them just for practice.

I don’t like how the cup2-R picks up little rocks and every bit of debris on the street . I drive to and from the track. My car is still a street car.
Cup2-R need a bit of warmth to start performing on the street, which frequently makes them slippery on the street.

The CR-S are fantastic in the wet. I did a track day in the rain with them and i was blown away at the levels of grip.
Way better than AR-1 in the rain.

AR-1’s used to do laps around the rim. Worse than any other tyre. I mark the stem and I would see it shift every session. So the tyres end up badly out of balance, to the point where the steering started to shake. I’d have to get a new balance after every track day.

My personal opinion is, the CR-S does everything really well. It’s like it scores an 8-10 in every test. Wet, DRY, cold , hot, drag strip, street, track.

Other tyres may score a 10 in one of the categories but never score high in all. For instance a Cup2-R may get a 10 for track and hot, but a 4 for cold, 6 for rain, and 3 for longevity.

You may get a wet weather tyre that is a 10, but is rubbish hot or at drag strip.

The CR-S seems to just do it all well. Its not the best in every single category, but it is at the top in every single category if you know what I mean.

Perfect for those that street and track without changing tyres. Its great from the traffic lights, great in the wet, and its quiet when cruising with the wife.

This is the sort of tyre us guys have been waiting for.
Sure a hand full of tyres may be a little faster, but none of them do it all well. This one just does everything well.

They are a bargain at half the price of cup2-R. Ar-1’s were cheap also, but I just couldn’t bear the noise on the street and the vibration on the track.

Every one in our track group that has previously used AR-1 has been faster on CR-S. Add that to the fact its refined and quiet, makes it a no brainer in my book.

P.S Make sure you get the correct size. As mine is a GTS, with 12 inch rear, I run 325/30/20. (The problem with AR-1’s were the 305 were designed for 11 inch, so really more like a 285, and they never had a 325 to compensate) But CR-S have both 305 and 325.

The best way to describe it is, they took all the best qualities of an R888R and all the best of an AR-1, combined them, then removed all of the bad things of both.
It’s seriously a great all round tyre that does everything well.

Three guys in the time attack group that are leaders in their class switched from A052 to CR-S, all three did PB’s.

So don’t listen to the TW200. The criteria has either changed or someone found a loop hole and all the latest tyres like these are getting TW200 rating so they can be used in class racing. On the old standard, I am positive the CR-S would be a TW80. (Performance wise.)

Happy Tracking .

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 09-13-2022 at 01:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 10:47 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I really do feel that good about the CR-S. They are not as fast as Cup2-R. But Cup2-R are really just for track, and they get expensive burning through them just for practice.

I don’t like how the cup2-R picks up little rocks and every bit of debris on the street . I drive to and from the track. My car is still a street car.
Cup2-R need a bit of warmth to start performing on the street, which frequently makes them slippery on the street.

The CR-S are fantastic in the wet. I did a track day in the rain with them and i was blown away at the levels of grip.
Way better than AR-1 in the rain.

AR-1’s used to do laps around the rim. Worse than any other tyre. I mark the stem and I would see it shift every session. So the tyres end up badly out of balance, to the point where the steering started to shake. I’d have to get a new balance after every track day.

My personal opinion is, the CR-S does everything really well. It’s like it scores an 8-10 in every test. Wet, DRY, cold , hot, drag strip, street, track.

Other tyres may score a 10 in one of the categories but never score high in all. For instance a Cup2-R may get a 10 for track and hot, but a 4 for cold, 6 for rain, and 3 for longevity.

You may get a wet weather tyre that is a 10, but is rubbish hot or at drag strip.

The CR-S seems to just do it all well. Its not the best in every single category, but it is at the top in every single category if you know what I mean.

Perfect for those that street and track without changing tyres. Its great from the traffic lights, great in the wet, and its quiet when cruising with the wife.

This is the sort of tyre us guys have been waiting for.
Sure a hand full of tyres may be a little faster, but none of them do it all well. This one just does everything well.

They are a bargain at half the price of cup2-R. Ar-1’s were cheap also, but I just couldn’t bear the noise on the street and the vibration on the track.

Every one in our track group that has previously used AR-1 has been faster on CR-S. Add that to the fact its refined and quiet, makes it a no brainer in my book.

P.S Make sure you get the correct size. As mine is a GTS, with 12 inch rear, I run 325/30/20. (The problem with AR-1’s were the 305 were designed for 11 inch, so really more like a 285, and they never had a 325 to compensate) But CR-S have both 305 and 325.

The best way to describe it is, they took all the best qualities of an R888R and all the best of an AR-1, combined them, then removed all of the bad things of both.
It’s seriously a great all round tyre that does everything well.

Three guys in the time attack group that are leaders in their class switched from A052 to CR-S, all three did PB’s.

So don’t listen to the TW200. The criteria has either changed or someone found a loop hole and all the latest tyres like these are getting TW200 rating so they can be used in class racing. On the old standard, I am positive the CR-S would be a TW80. (Performance wise.)

Happy Tracking .
I suspect you are secretly the manufacturer of the CR-S haha.

This is definitely the holy grail / unicorn tire and I will give them a shot when replacing my tires.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:35 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
I suspect you are secretly the manufacturer of the CR-S haha.

This is definitely the holy grail / unicorn tire and I will give them a shot when replacing my tires.
🤣 Those who know, know.

Foundation Track starter pack.

1. Castrol SRF
2. Endless ME20 Pads
3. Nankang CR-S
4. Wheel alignment maxing out front neg camber.

This will serve the masses a long time.

From there

5. Coilovers
6. Adjustable camber tops for even more neg camber
7. BBK or at least braided lines (Still ME20)

After that
8. Tune - More Power
9. Adjustable camber arms even more neg camber
10. DSC more control
11. Anti- Sway bars
12. Aero

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 09-13-2022 at 04:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
spyderbret (09-13-2022), thesaintusa (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 05:24 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
🤣 Those who know, know.

Foundation Track starter pack.

1. Castrol SRF
2. Endless ME20 Pads
3. Nankang CR-S
4. Wheel alignment maxing out front neg camber.

This will serve the masses a long time.

From there

5. Coilovers
6. Adjustable camber tops for even more neg camber
7. BBK or at least braided lines (Still ME20)

After that
8. Tune - More Power
9. Adjustable camber arms even more neg camber
10. DSC more control
11. Anti- Sway bars
12. Aero
This should have it's own thread

Old 09-13-2022, 05:52 PM
Snyper886
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 30 Posts

How are you managing tire pressure? I found grip to be excellent, but tire pressures were difficult to manage. I constantly needed to bleed, and even then after a few hot laps starting at 28PSI, pressure rose over 36PSI, usually reaching 40PSI. I didn't have as many issues with AR-1; bleed to 28PSI, go out on a warm up session, come back, bleed to 30PSI hot and continue on with the day. I might need to bleed a bit further, but pressures would max out around 36PSI late in a 20min session, whereas CR-S spiked to 40PSI when going out at 28PSI cold, and that's after 10mins of laptime.

I ran CR-S early this season hoping it was the be-all tire but was disappointed with how finicky it was. Went with AR-1 and was very satisfied with performance. Not a wet tire by any measure, as going over 90km/h on the highway is an "experience". My AR-1 have almost 30 heat cycles are are still going strong.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:28 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Snyper886
How are you managing tire pressure? I found grip to be excellent, but tire pressures were difficult to manage. I constantly needed to bleed, and even then after a few hot laps starting at 28PSI, pressure rose over 36PSI, usually reaching 40PSI. I didn't have as many issues with AR-1; bleed to 28PSI, go out on a warm up session, come back, bleed to 30PSI hot and continue on with the day. I might need to bleed a bit further, but pressures would max out around 36PSI late in a 20min session, whereas CR-S spiked to 40PSI when going out at 28PSI cold, and that's after 10mins of laptime.

I ran CR-S early this season hoping it was the be-all tire but was disappointed with how finicky it was. Went with AR-1 and was very satisfied with performance. Not a wet tire by any measure, as going over 90km/h on the highway is an "experience". My AR-1 have almost 30 heat cycles are are still going strong.
Why not using nitrogen for lapping then?
Old 09-13-2022, 08:01 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 294 Posts

It's not really practical or necessary. No need to carry an extra tank for nitrogen when tire pressures can vary so much depending on so many factors. Sure it could help but unless you are racing you wont get enough benefit from the effort. In my opinion.....
The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 09:59 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Snyper886
My AR-1 have almost 30 heat cycles are are still going strong.
30 heat cycles 😵‍💫. I’m usually in the cords by 12. 🤣

Nitrogen is a pain to top back up if you drive to and from the track. Fine to arrive with it, run on it, but at end of day, usually top up with air, so its one use until you do it all over again.

It is a lot of messing around.

Tyre pressure is a personal thing. We run open pit lane most track days. So once I’m upto temp, i try not to let them cool off too much in the pits. Its usually why I run half or 3/4 days. I’m there, I want to drive. Get it done early. I must be getting old, I get tired later in the day.

The AR-1’s are a solid track tyre. I just really hated them on the street. The CR-S is really just the new model AR-1. Its far more refined. It still has the trade mark stiff sidewall.

Thats the biggest downfall of the normal cup2. The side wall is far too soft. The cup2-R is considerably better and my most favourite pure track tyre. I like the CR-S cause it does it all.

You can’t expect any tyre to rate a 10/10 in every category, as there are always compromises. But the CR-S in my opinion is a massive step in the right direction for the best all round tyre that does it all quite well.

Imagine a Quiet AR-1 that was great in the wet. Its called CR-S.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 09-13-2022 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:51 AM
Snyper886
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 30 Posts

Most people I've talked to will cycle out their AR-1 before running out of tread, but I know you're special :P I don't put down that much power, but laptimes are with the GT guys.

I agree the noise with AR-1 are hard for most people to bear, especially between 70-120km/h overlapping exhaust notes. I'll give the CR-S another go next season since they're still mounted on the OEM wheels.

Last season I went through 2 sets of Cup2; one lasted ok, but another delaminated at the second event. Nankangs provide excellent value and are at least on-par in performance against Cup2, if not quicker, as most have discovered.

Quick Reply: Large tire puncture, safe for track use?